Biozentrum University of Basel
www.biozentrum.unibas.ch Schweizerhalle, Switzerland 150 to 499 Employees

Biozentrum University of Basel Reviews

Post Doc

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at Biozentrum University of Basel as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVery high scientific level
Many opportunity to interact with different groups
Informal atmosphere
A good hub for a carrier in a company afterward

ConsGood salary in the end, but still lower than the average postdoc salary in CH
Must improve the visibility for young scientists

Very disappointed

Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Biozentrum University of Basel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHigh scientific level, good equipments, good interaction between the teams, broad choice of conferences and international speakers, connections with the pharmaceutical industries and Hospitals for collaborations

ConsVery low consideration, salary 30 % less than the swiss average, (Biozentrum rule dating from 1978, to encourage the postdoc not to stay too long...), no career or advancement opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using the postdocs as cheap overqualified labor, and "thank" them when they cost too much

I had a great time working there for over 6 years.

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee)
Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Biozentrum University of Basel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat science, lot of diversity in the research topics. Good funding, small enough (<1000 people) not to feel crushed by the crowds there. Good networking with great scientists from all over the world visiting on a regular basis. Major life science industry headquarters within walking distance (Novartis, Roche, Syngenta). Fantastic city to live in with a lot of events taking place on a daily basis despite the small size of the place, high quality of life and easy access to great outdoors.

ConsDoesn't have the energy of a major city (Zurich, Berlin, NY, ...), living in Switzerland applies certain duties and compliance with the "rules". Small size implies a relatively small number of course to choose from compared to major US institutions.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Senior postdoc at the Biozentrum of the University of Basel

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee)
Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Biozentrum University of Basel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat equipment, enough money, good location

ConsNo possibility of evolution, no career help from the institute, bada salary for the postdoc compared to other institutes in Basel

Not easy for international workers to integrate into the system.

I have been working at Biozentrum University of Basel

ProsLots of foreign researchers that are helpful and friendly

ConsAll communication from the university has been in German.

I enjoy working at the Biozentrum: top notch research, good core facilities, money to get research done.

Postdoctoral Science Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Biozentrum University of Basel

ProsI enjoy working at the Biozentrum: top notch research, good core facilities, lots of money to get research done. Professional staff and excellent resources available.
Also, the university has a nice gym free for staff.

ConsWhile pay is very high compared to other countries (USA, France, etc), compared to salaries at ETH in Zurich (another good university an hour away), or even other postdoc positions at the University of Basel, postdoc pay at the Biozentrum is a bit low. However, it is still enough to live comfortably.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility with time off!

Good place to work

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at Biozentrum University of Basel

ProsVery good infrastructure, good research quality, international atmosphere. You have a lot of liberties, but also responsibility (guess that's normal for a PhD).

ConsThe negative sides of the work have to with the PhD program, which can be very hard at times. But I guess this is no different from anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is really no good advice that I can imagine of giving them. Maybe be more professional in managing the PhD students?

Worked for Biozentrum University of Basel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biozentrum University of Basel reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Biozentrum University of Basel employees.