Bipartisan Policy Center

Bipartisan Policy Center Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great opportunity at a well respected, up-and-coming think tank.

Spring Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Bipartisan Policy Center as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe bipartisan nature of the organization fosters a collegial and congenial atmosphere amongst a very passionate staff. There are great opportunities to meet and interact with well respected individuals from the policy world, as well as several big-time (former) senators on staff. Moreover, the staff was accommodating and open to individuals of all backgrounds and experience levels. Really one of the better work/internship experiences I've ever had.

ConsAt times the internship felt unstructured and it seemed like I was doing work that was scantily evaluated upon completion. Part of this stems from the challenge of organizational growth experienced over the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike many young companies, the BPC has grown by leaps and bounds over the last several years. One of the biggest issues with this growth will be the accommodation of new staff - physically and socially. At times, the organization felt "siloed," as educated people in one area rarely interacted with educated people from another. Nevertheless, the atmosphere was professional and pleasant, resulting in a great overall experience.

Great company with a terrific staff, but has had issues growing

I have been working at Bipartisan Policy Center full-time

ProsGreat staff, great perks (metro, health insurance, tuition help), flexible for people with families, reasonable hours

ConsDisorganized, haven't been able to grow well and have implemented too many approval processes. Don't have a very effective way of communicating with the whole staff

Advice to Senior Managementneed to build a good HR dept and organizational structure

Great people but no room for growth

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bipartisan Policy Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture and atmosphere here is pretty good. The people, for the most part, are nice and regularly socialize. There is a group of "mean girls" but they aren't mean, just not as inclusive. The benefits are AMAZING (or were when I was employed there) and the kitchens always have great snacks and free coffee.

ConsThere is virtually no room for professional growth and development, and efforts intended to help a person grow within the organization often go either overlooked or are discouraged. The administrative staff is stretched way to thin, which makes tasks for them and the people they support very difficult. The Center is also very siloed, so you might never interact with someone outside of your policy program.

Substantive, fulfilling internship experience for policy students.

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsThe company is organized around policy projects which change over time, giving interns and regular employees a great chance to work on a project from brainstorming all the way through to publication and public events. Each person makes a meaningful contribution to ongoing projects, will get to work with experts in the field, and will work on publications which are seen by policy experts throughout Washington. Very good for understanding legislative process and NPO think-tank work, great for networking.

ConsAs an intern or junior staff member, there may be down-time on projects where there is not much for lower staff to contribute. Interns should be prepared to assign work to themselves during these times.

Great Learning Opportunities for Interns

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bipartisan Policy Center as an intern

ProsAmazing network of intellectual prowess located in one bipartisan office
Friendly staff
Beautiful, clean environment with a lot of snacks!
Really makes sure the interns are involved in project work/given worthwhile projects

ConsSilo-ed project teams don't leave much room for inter-project communication/mingling

Worked for Bipartisan Policy Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bipartisan Policy Center reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Bipartisan Policy Center employees.