BirdDog
www.birddoghr.com Urbandale, IA 16 to 50 Employees

BirdDog Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014
BirdDog – Urbandale – “Our Office Building”

Todd Skokan

Family of Great People Supporting Each Other to Make a Business Really Grow!

Sales (Current Employee)
    Urbandale, IA

ProsEveryone helps everyone. Very transparent company from the top to the bottom. I feel close with all of my coworkers and in turn, we are able to make our business grow exponentially. Birthdays, anniversaries, and success is really celebrated here. More importantly, our business outlook is incredibly positive. We all believe in our solutions that's what really makes BirdDog work so well.

ConsWith every business that grows, new steps are put in place to streamline activity/growth. It takes hard work to execute on processes, but it's necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great positive reinforcement and transparency!

Open Minds & Solid Product

(Current Employee)

ProsLeadership is very open minded and open to hearing different strategies and approaches in the direction of the company. It is great having the freedom to work independently or pull on anyone from the team to help get the job done. Flexible hours to take off early and make up your time later in the week a nice touch and go a long way. Individual goals are attainable and everyone is upfront with one another on what is needed to be successful which is refreshing. Several work sponsored events and volunteer opportunities throughout the year bring the team together with exceptional employees being formally recognized in meetings all year.

ConsSaaS solution is in constant development to meet customer demands and can make it a bit difficult to keep up with updates and testing properly. The company has made such huge strides in service, leadership and revenue growth in recent past, handling adversity in growth and some stretch goals could prove to be the biggest challenge in such an evolving organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to have a great pulse on what your team thinks and needs to help them be a successful asset to the company. Continuous improvement can come in reducing some of the confusion around evolving roles and overlapping tasks through more communication and discussion.

Glad I took a chance

ProsI could bore you with listing out all the “Pros” of being a part of the BirdDog team, and doing so would not describe the atmosphere properly. Boring is not BirdDog at all. We thrive in a fast paced environment with rewarding outcomes. When arriving at BirdDog each day I know I will be surrounded by brilliant and positive people who support me to be successful; in turn, this builds a team which is driven to be the best. I personally get to work with the sales and technical team, which is something I have not experienced working at other larger companies. Since joining BirdDog I have been able to advance my knowledge in different areas and this knowledge is invaluable to me as a person who strives to do the best at my assignment.

ConsThe number one con would be “my waist line”. Our environment is based on rewards and team bonding. We have team lunches, pot lucks, and celebratory meals. All of these allow us to take time away from our desk to laugh, enjoy the company of one another, and hear about the success of each division. At major corporations they have the typical parties or department meetings. At BirdDog we are “all one team” no matter which specialty we bring to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the vision of change you have shown us for our future. Continue thinking of new ideas to help us be successful and challenging us to strive to be better as an overall person and co-workers. Keep telling us how important we are and “never” let us feel what major corporations tell their employees “Everyone is replaceable”.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place to work - Great Culture, Great People, Great Software!

ProsThe people are fantastic! From the new leadership that truly values the employees, to the sales team that are excited and creating new opportunities, to the support team that really cares about the customers - BirdDog has the best people!

ConsAll the food and drinks that are regularly provided are hard on the belt size! Luckily, there is a gym close that co-workers love to go to together!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! The vision for the future of BirdDog is bright and I couldn't be happier to be a part of it!

My Favorite Job, Ever!

ProsManagement is open to ideas and easy to communicate with. My input is asked for frequently. My co-workers are passionate about their work, positive, collaborative, and just awesome at what they do. This is a true team atmosphere, where every voice is heard. I'm not only doing the kind of work that I love, I get to do it with great people and where the management appreciates me.

ConsWell, there IS a pretty serious caffeine addiction here. Management doesn't seem to notice or care how quickly the free pop and Keurig coffee flies out of the break room, so they are total enablers. Seriously, though, I don't have any. Even when I need to work on something out of my comfort zone (which is both exciting and makes me a little nervous), I feel I have a safety net of a CEO who will help me as needed and co-workers who support my efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you SO much for creating such a positive, energizing, collaborative place to work! It's a pleasure to be here every day.

Innovative SAAS Company

ProsWhat I enjoy most about BirdDog is the company culture. The "team" support is like nothing I have ever experienced in previous positions. People are passionate about the product and are dedicated to growth of the product offerings.

If you like to be a part of the growth in an organization, and you enjoy sharing ideas that actually impact future decisions - this would be the place for you. If you are driven to succeed you are around like minded professionals.

The management style is very much strengthening and empowering the employees. Hierarchy is non existent. You are cultivated to grow, with any small company you have more opportunity to see a project from start to finish.

ConsBirdDog is a software company, therefore change is inevitable. It doesn't really bother me, however I have seen others not enjoy change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the changes, we like being a part of the growth.The current transparency is refreshing. New marketing strategies are very exciting!

Growing SaaS Company. Doing all the right things in recruiting software. Amazing opportunity!

(Current Employee)

ProsNew, innovative and engaged leadership.
    Hard work is acknowledged (often) and rewarded (monthly).
    Great team environment- access to people you need, when you need them.
    Strong focus on customer satisfaction that equals raving fans and amazing testimonials (when was the last time you worked for a company that was receiving multiple testimonials a week?).
    Great partner strategy, very partner friendly.
    Nice west side location.

ConsAs at any software company, change is constant. If you are easily frustrated by change or a fast paced environment, this might not be the best fit for you.

Changing to prepare for the future

Pros-Building and implementing infrastructure to support the needs of a software company.
    -Improving staff to bring in the right people, as well as groom current employees into leadership roles

Cons-Simultaneous change can be difficult to manage, but it's being handled and made clear that it's to build the foundation for a stronger, better organization in the future

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep building morale! It's increased a lot over the last few months and we perform better with that boost in positivity and sense of community.

confused and drifting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Urbandale, IA

Prosthe people are the best thing about the company (other than management). lots of talent and drive. Pay is ok but not great.

Consmanagement is awful. Owner changes mind continuously. CEO is not that smart and shows it on a regular basis. Always chasing opportunities that don't pan out.

Advice to Senior Managementsell the company to a more mature and successful company that has a stronger management team. Or clean house at the top.

constant change with no progress

Employment Advisor (Former Employee)
    Urbandale, IA

Prosyou get paid every 2 weeks and get commission checks for what you sell. that's about it

Consmanagement is lost. company has changed pay-outs, direction, products and everything else several times over last few years. 14 different website names in 16 years. has had to be bailed out twice with Venture Capitalist money. Not stable, moving horizontally and chasing their own tail.

Advice to Senior Managementsell the company and let someone else take the lead

Worked for BirdDog? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BirdDog reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BirdDog CEO Todd Skokan. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by BirdDog employees.