Bisco Industries

biscoind.com

Bisco Industries Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Glen Ceiley

Pros
  • Solid base pay for entry level sales(in 8 reviews)

• 8-5 Monday through Friday job you don't have to really think about after 5(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The computer system is outdated but improvements are steadily being made(in 12 reviews)

• As a sales organization, you definitely feel the pressure to meet your sales goals(in 6 reviews)

Entry Level Sales

ProsGreat first job; Learn a lot about the industry, sales, both inside and outside; Great way to make connections; Coworkers are friendly; It's a great job if you're willing to move occasionally; Promotes from within

ConsUpper management expects way too much of it's staff and there's a "big brother" presence at times. Sometimes it feels like you're working a clock-in/clock-out job rather than salary. But there's pros and cons with any company and there are much worse places to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefigure the bonus structure. It's horrible and outdated.

Resume Builder for Entry Level sales

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsNot required to work outside of 8-5 during the week. Good experience to work with a variety of industries in both inside/outside sales. Bisco promotes from within very often.

ConsComing from someone who has made their goal every month--the bonus structure is a joke. Also, the computer system is extremely outdated.

Success based on being at the right place at the right time rather than sales ability

ProsGood working environment
    If you have a successful account base, good promotion opportunities due to promotion from within

ConsPeople who have limited or no sales ability can be more successful purely because they have much more active accounts with bigger potential. Hard working sales people can be stuck with useless account base that limits ability to succeed.
    Micro management from corporate level

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave area managers to manage using their own initiatives.
    Spread out accounts more evenly allowing more people to be successful

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NEVER judge a book by its cover!

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have been with Bisco since February of 2013 and to be 100% honest, I am glad I stumbled upon Bisco on indeed.com. Before and after receiving my offer I looked at just about every review I could find on Bisco, and at first I was a little discouraged. You can find some rather disappointing reviews for Bisco, but you can find poor reviews on any company, so I decided to give it a try. About 80% of the customers on my core list were cold, but i was excited for the challenge. Each and every day I came in, I came to WORK, on the phone, on the road (once a week), and ready to learn. Therefore, if i did not succeed, I KNEW it was not due to my effort. IT was a matter of time before my desk was rocking! Like that one movie, if you build it, they will come, if you BUILD the RELATIONSHIPS, your sales will come! Don't worry about the numbers, don't worry about tomorrow, focus on what you can CONTROL, your daily responsibilities and the rest will come. It's a promise! The system works, if you do what you are asked, there is no doubt in my mind you will succeed! I was promoted to Sales Manager in under a year. Great pay, great benefits, nice vacation time, personal time, personal growth, opportunity for promotion, great place to work!

ConsDue to the growth of the company, there are some growing pains. However Bisco seems to continue to find ways to improve, I am very optimistic about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to adapt with the industry, valuing and considering the employees opinion/advise, and bringing on great Manufacturers to fuel sales!

Great company to work for! Upward mobility definitely available for strong performers.

Area Director of Sales (Current Employee)

Pros* Opportunity to learn B2B sales in both inside sales/ phone and outside sales/ in person with the customer. This provides the unique opportunity to be the "single point" of contact for the customer. This factor really helps to separate Bisco Industries from our competition.
    * Strong base salary & competitive bonus structure at all levels of sales.
    * On going training at the local level with the sales manager. Plus support from Area Manager, Regional Manager, and corporate employee development trainers.
    * Buddy calls with sales management & opportunity for sales calls with supply partners.
    * Annual reviews, which provides the opportunity for feedback & salary increases.

Cons* Weekly travel for sales reps, but most of the time it willl be local day trips. This includes setting appointments with semi-established & established customers and trying to activate customer that aren't currently doing business with Bisco.

Some may see this as con - but I definitely don't really see this as a con because this provides us the opportunity to meet with customers, get factory tours, and build relationships. All of these are necessary for account growth & gaining market share.

Advice to Senior Management* Continue to work on improving non-traditional methods of promoting the Bisco brand name. We are active on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In. Our website has been upgraded with many more customer benefits & ease of use. And a recent push within the last fiscal year has been Bisco's attendance at trade shows. We need to continue to allocate resources to maintain and possibly improve these types of efforts.

Bisco Industries Warehouse positions are a Joke.

Warehouse (Current Employee)

Pros8-5 Monday through Friday. Nothing too tough for someone who has some experience in Warehousing. OK Benefits.

ConsNo Overtime. Hard work is not rewarded. Numbers based system that continually changes to stop you from achieving a good bonus. Raises are a Joke, if you are even lucky enough to get one. Horrible training of the staff while implementing new processes hurts your productivity levels. A-lot of dangled carrots, with no payouts. Always told how bad your branch is doing, then having to read a company wide CEO E-mail bragging about record profits. The owner gets richer by screwing the employees, taking every opportunity to take something away.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees as much as your bottom line, and there is no limit to what you can achieve. TRAINING!!!

EXCELLENT SALES OPPORTUNITY

Sales/Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGREAT ADVANCEMENT FOR ANYONE THAT WANTS TO GROW WITH THE COMPANY AND DOESN'T MIND TRAVELING.
    BASE SALARY AND BONUS PLAN ABOVE AVERAGE
    EXCELLENT TEAM IN THE NC BRANCH, NOT ONLY THE SALES PEOPLE BUT CM'S AS WELL AS REGIONAL MANAGER ARE TRUE ASSETS

ConsLIMITED FRANCHISE LINES, BUT GREAT RELATIONSHIPS WITH SUPPLIERS
    SYSTEM IS NOT USER FRIENDLY AND VERY OUTDATED

Advice to Senior ManagementTAKE CARE OF PEOPLE THAT DO THEIR JOBS AND MAKE THE COMPANY MONEY- KEY PERFORMERS
    SALES SUPPORT IS KEY IN THE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT, NEED VERY RELIABLE SUPPORT IN THIS AREA ESPECIALLY
    TRAIN THE SALE OFFICES IN LOGISTICS ESPECIALLY FREIGHT COMING FROM OVERSEAS

Stable company with opportunities for growth

ProsI started with Bisco directly after graduating from college and have been pleasantly surprised by the opportunities for advancement. I was attracted to and continue to enjoy the fact that Bisco is a small enough company that I can make an impact and leave my mark. Bisco is not too small though, and it’s continued growth has created several new management positions.

Sales at Bisco – I was certainly hesitant to go into sales at first since my only perception was based on people who were pushing consumer products that I didn’t really need. Working in business-to-business sales for a hardware distributor is very different. I can only sell a bolt to a company that actually needs that bolt, and I never feel guilty at the end of the day for what I sold. As a result, your success is much more dependent upon your customer service skills, knack for building relationships, and ability to market yourself. You’ll work in a small team of 3-5 people, but your reviews and growth opportunities will always be based on your individual performance. You have to take personal responsibility for managing your own customers and their orders if you want to succeed.

ConsCustomer service in distribution can certainly be demanding. Sometimes things go wrong with an order that is completely out of your control, but you have to take responsibility if you want to keep your customer’s trust and business. There are certainly times when it seems the sky is falling down, but I see those as opportunities to perform for my customer. Dealing with rejection can certainly wear on your self confidence. As a sales organization, you definitely feel the pressure to meet your sales goals. But there’s also great incentives to exceeding your goals. The key is to remain focused on your progress and successes rather than your failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to streamline processes that take too much time away from the sales team.
    Focus on building a more cohesive brand/experience for current employees.

You will get what you put in

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBisco is a numbers driven sales organization. This means that raises, bonuses, and promotions are earned by performers that are willing to put forth the effort to be succesful. The hours and expecatations are what you would expect from any sales organization and as long as you use your time efficiently and effectively you should have no problem excelling. I have worked here for eight years and I have received raises or promotions every year since I accepted my offer.

ConsAs a distributor, Bisco sells to a wide range of industries and each one has a different way of doing things. Some of them are great to work with and others aren't so enjoyable to work with. The same goes for the vendors and mfrs we represent. Distribution sales is ever changing and as a fast growing company, Bisco has felt those affects as much as anyone. Our purchasing and warehousing policies and procedures are too black and white. They need to be more fluid to enable us to adapt to our customers' needs. Sales people need to be compensated for designing in products whether it is ultimately purchased in their territory or somewhere else. In a global economy, that is essential to the growth of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat ideas come from all over. The surveys are great, but expressing interest in the opinions of team members is only a start. There needs to be clear evidence that action is being taken to untilize the feedback and opinions. Doing so will help us to evolve and improve in the ways we must in order to keep gaining market share.

Solid company and job that would make Mom proud

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsI've worked at Bisco for over 5 years now, and can honestly say it’s a great company, and enjoyed my time here.

The highlights:
    - Decent base salary (you can finally move out of your parents basement) and you get paid weekly, which is nice.
    - Awesome benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company matching (your mom will like this stuff)
    - Annual raises: All employees are reviewed each year and almost eveyone gets a raise. Better perfomers get higher percents.
    - Enjoyable work life balance: No nights or weekends. 8 - 5 work day, with an hour off for lunch. Enjoy your nights and weekends (you can finally join that bowling league your friend been hassling you on!). Most days are business casual, but there's plenty of "dress down" or casual days where you can wear jeans and more comfortable clothes. Its sounds like a small thing, but you really start to appreciate it after awhile.
    - Time off:
              - 2 weeks paid vacation for your first year, and goes up after
              - 6 personal days to use for whatever you want, and you're paid out if you don't use them.
              - Paid holidays (No more working on Black Friday. Sleep in or get your xmas shopping done)
    - Management opportunity – If you do well, and can perform, you’ll have the opportunity to be promoted and move up in the company reasonably quick. Typically 2-4 years, but can be quicker, especially if you’re relocatable.
    - Fast growing company: Bisco has basically tripled size over the past 10 years, and has really taken off the last 5 years (even with a slow economy).
    - Inside & Outside Sales: You're able to get out and vist with customers one day a week. Its great to meet your clients and customers, but being out of the office is refreshing and breaks up the week a bit.
    - The people, seriously. Almost eveyone is friendly, personable, and willing to help. You have a solid group of people (trainers, managers, etc.) you can always go to for questions, advice, etc. They want to help you , so make sure you take advantage of them.

Overall, the entry level sales position (which +90% of people start in) is perfect for recent graduates or really anyone looking to begin a sales career. You’re able to learn about the company, industry, and improve your sales skills, without a ton of pressure to exceed goals. Then, once you get the hang of things, you’re promoted to full time sales, which comes with a pay bump and better bonus potential.

I think its also worth mentioning that Bisco is not the kind of company, or "sales" position where you'll be making 100+ phone calls a day. Bisco's focus is on building strong customer relationships and trust. Will you have to do work? Yes of course, but think quality over quantity. Most new reps will never make more than 2-4 outbound calls an hour, and many veterans make zero outbound calls all day, as their clients are constantly calling them instead.

ConsWhile Bisco is great company, it isn't perfect either. In my opinion the cons are:

- Support departments can be frustrating at times. Seemingly simple tasks might need approvals, which can cause things to take longer than you like. Disrupts workflow.
    - Computer system isn't pretty looking. You'll use outlook, excel, etc for some things, but the bulk of your time is spent on the Bisco system. Its does look dated and there's a learning curve. However, once you get familar with it, you learn its efficient and does a lot, but getting there takes some time for new employees. You won't confuse it with your ipad.
    - A few "bad apple" managers. Most of the managers are great, but there are a few that could use some training. Because manager promotions are strongly related to sales performance, it can sometimes result in a strong sales rep being promoted to manager, that maybe shouldn't have been. This isn't that common, but there are a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to managment would be:

1.) Examine expediting some of the routine approvals or processes that go on in the company. Its not really that these processes take a lot of time, but more so that they stop of the flow of work for sales.
    The biggest offender is probably the Receiving Problems department. It could use better accountablility and efficiency. Occasionally orders will go in there for very simple reasons, and then no one takes care of that simple reason, which creates completely unnecessary delays. Not sure if more people are needed or a better system, but it could definitely be improved.

2.) Make sure to focus on the person as well as the numbers when promoting. Are they a leader? Are they personable? Respected? Can they develop existing employees and train new employees? Promoting the wrong person can be worse than not promoting anyone at all.

3.) Eliminate the downtime associate with system reboots, freezes, "logging in" problems, etc.

Worked for Bisco Industries? Contribute to the Community!