Bisk Education Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Nathan M Bisk

Pros
  • I was able to meet some great people on my team (in 4 reviews)

• decent pay, relaxed deadlines, good people, job security, good working equipment, great creative director and art directors (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management operated the creative team like they worked at a call center (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management (My boss's boss) made it their priority to make sure we knew who the real bosses were (in 4 reviews)

Ok place for entry level... Not so good for professionals

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is evolving and trending in the right direction, good pay.

Cons

Poor benefits, "team" set up but with a hierarchy mentality, management is not allowed to "fraternize" with employees and therefore team building activities are almost non existent. Job is described as an admissions job but it's really a call center job.

Advice to Management

Look out for your team above all things. Remember that your team is what makes you a leader. Without them you're just an order taker.

2. Bisk review

Former Employee - CO-Worker in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - CO-Worker in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bisk Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers. Men and women with tons of talent.

Cons

There was a disconnect between management and employees.

3. University Alliance is commendable

Current Employee - Enrollment Services in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Services in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced work but a laid back environment which equals an enjoyable balance. Professional and personal development opportunities from prestigious universities. Perfect for people that have the desire to excel and grow.

Cons

People who have 4 year college degrees make more than those who don't, even if it's within the same department. This make sense to everyone who has completed a college degree; it's well deserved, those without one seem to be the ones who complain about it.

Its All About Perspective

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was brought into Tampa over a year ago from the midwest to begin a career @ Bisk Education. Before Bisk, I had success helping local nonprofits achieve in establishing an online presence. Though no company is perfect, Bisk Education has its benefits and is definitely working hard to improve its morale and culture. At Bisk, I was presented with an opportunity that my immigrant parents could only dream of: a $50,000 education benefit. Stipulations for using this benefit is STANDARD; I have heard many complain about the service requirement after obtaining a degree through Bisk's Tuition Assistance, but the requirement is standard when compared to other companies' tuition assistance benefits. In regard to this, I believe Bisk is providing its employees with an education opportunity that they cannot find elsewhere. I am currently using this benefit to obtain an MBA; at other companies, MBAs are usually reserved for executive level employees. For this, I am truly grateful to Bisk Education. As for management, I can not be the judge of department managers or Associate Vice Presidents, except for the ones I report directly to. In the department I currently work in, we have four strong supervisors who are skilled at what they do. The Associate Vice President I work for believes in his team in which he developed from two or three employees to over 20 full time employees. The management team in this department did not fall into seniority through luck; from how this department has grown, management had to continually prove themselves to gain support from the Business. As for the recent terminations of various employees @ Bisk, this can't be controlled, helped or changed. With these recent announcements, many employees may have lost focus on what matters most: things that they CAN control, help and change. The shift of focus from what CAN be done to what CAN'T be done has somewhat affected the morale of many employees. I believe this is an internal issue that needs to sorted by the employees rather than the executives. As for "effecting change" within the company stated by recent reviews- change starts with the person. A new process, no matter how great or good it is, does not account for mediocrity. No one can affect change if mediocrity is the standard in which we do things. I came into Bisk with what my immigrant parents worked hard to provide me with. I believe Bisk is the bridge to success and I am truly grateful as an employee at Bisk. It really is all about perspective.

Cons

As stated in the Pros, no company is perfect and no process can fix mediocrity. Roadblocks, impediments, and bottlenecks are clear to those who succeed regardless of the workplace methodology that is in place. Also, understanding who the customer is, their journey, and how Bisk's services fit in as the cornerstone of B2C strategy should be a mandate and requirement before taking on a market.

Advice to Management

Management is doing great things, but consumer research should be addressed in detail to help fuel business strategy. Management has influenced a lot of positive changes @ Bisk.

A Company That Listens To Employees & Rewards Hard Work

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Management in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Management in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time

Pros

I have worked at Bisk for almost seven years. Our department had two full time employees that were in the department for two months before I got there. We work extremely hard, are very accountable to what we say we are going to deliver, collaborate with other departments and stakeholders while being innovative and trying out new things to help move the business forward. This team is now has thirty plus employees with multiple positions that handle supervisory roles. We use the best of breed tools, attend industry specific seminars and conferences, and have access to outside agencies and freelancers to help efficiencies. This did not happen overnight. We have delivered the results to warrant this, but without the support of the executive management team this would never happen! The company is going through a very positive cultural change that requires all of us to be more accountable, collaborative, and innovative. Many of the negative recent reviews you have seen on here are from past employees that quite honestly did not embrace this cultural change and what is required of them in order to be part of the company moving forward. I am not a big fan of review sites as they allow anybody (employee or not) to say negative things anonymously and just leave. When was the last time you saw a negative review have something in it that says, “I could have done a better job in”? I call these reviews “hit and runs”, but I felt it necessary to say something now. The company just does not deserve this. As we all know, no company is perfect. The company values it’s employees and listens to what they say and takes action. Flexible work schedules are a perfect example of this! They have worked very hard to show this and have put in place many of these suggestions. At the end of the day, you can’t make 1000 employees completely happy. I would say if your looking for a company that values you, your thoughts, and rewards you for your hard work and dedication (that is on us as employees/candidates) this is a great place to work.

Cons

Understanding the customer - who they are & where they go.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

Not an Equitable place to work....I make the best of it.

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Ability to get an AA, BA, BS, MBA, and Certifications from a great schools. Flexible work schedule. Fellow employees are friendly and supportive.

Cons

The education is not free If you take classes you owe the company time, which is reasonable. In the fine print it says if they fire you, you have to pay a pro-rated amount and based on the time you still owe and they can keep your paycheck. (that's a fact) It's sales job despite what they say about "Student Focused", It you don't produce you be out the door. All employees with the same position do not get paid the same. and it's not based on anything equitable such as performance. It's not the type of place where you can voice concern without consequences.

8. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can only speak for my role in the marketing department. I've had a great experience so far in my year + at Bisk. As a company, Bisk is making a lot of changes, and seeking ways to improve with the best interests of employees and students in mind. As an SEO Tech, I've been able to work in a collaborative environment that supports personal growth, under great leadership.

Cons

The company is too siloed, however, efforts seem to be underway to improve on this. Also, work often gets held up by process - a problem that is also, apparently, being addressed.

Advice to Management

I am not in a position to criticize. However, some additional transparency in light of big changes would be nice.

Frustrating and Demoralizing Environment

Current Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time

Pros

Some flexibility for work-life balance in many positions. There are/were some very hard working and smart people. Education benefit is ok, but limited. Nothing too unique in my opinion. You can find similar or better education benefits at many companies, without being limited to the small selection of a few programs at mostly unknown colleges. There are only 3 really known universities and they have very few program options, and most are not even degrees. So it's ok, but not great.

Cons

Little to no communication from upper management. No clear vision or goals. Bisk is constantly changing direction, and doesn't tell anyone. It feel like they are in complete desperation and chaos. Bisk has been letting go of lots of people weekly for MONTHS, leaving everyone confused and in fear. No clear reasons why. It is exhausting for the workers, and causes low morale and gossip. People throughout the company just disappear in the morning...even people who were recently praised or promoted. Very confusing. You don't know where you stand at all. And there is no communication of a new strategy or explanation for the shift and changes. Workwise, many in management thrive on deception and dishonestly to cover up poor performance, instead of focusing on improvement potential. They are I'm sure afraid for their jobs as well. Creates a very unsound and unstable business that appears to be sinking quick.

Advice to Management

You can do better. Communicate, and make it meaningful.

Biskits: An Objective Look.

Current Employee - Paid Search Strategist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Paid Search Strategist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best days of Bisk have yet to come, in a good way. The company has gone all-in for the customer. They have taken calculated moves (albeit polarizing) to ensure long-term success. Think Microsoft 2015. I have literally watched the company transform in my years there. When I started, we looked at the wrong metrics, we had a limiting Org Structure and lots of data gaps. The culture was complacent. We hired a few top-tier employees, and started having real conversations about how to change our paradigm and culture. The C-level suite invested in people AND platforms, and outsourced areas where we needed extreme fast ramp-up. They ask what we need to do our jobs better, and with the correct business case, they will make it happen. I find the culture to be friendly now. People can say what they want on Glassdoor, but when my mom died Bisk went out of their way to make sure I could be there for my family. They understood that some days I needed time away from the office. Stuff like that goes a long way, and we are a family because we act like one.

Cons

Bisk hires people, and people have free will. These people can act in different ways, and that can reflect poorly on their position, department, etc. The consistent theme I have noticed is that complacent mangers can cause a lot of damage internally and externally for the organization. As of July 17, 2015, Bisk has cleaned house of this type of employee. It has made all the difference.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Trasparency, Collaberation, Communication, Accountability for the win. And of course, Google Analytics + Call Tracking. We could outsource Emotional Intelligence consulting as a way to ramp-up soft skills and conflict resolution that result from Natural Friction in the production process. We have natural friction because we all work really hard for clients.

11. A job with Higher Purpose

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You're working to help people further their own education. Fast paced, one day is never the same. Flexible shift schedules. A really good health package for the money you pay, compared to other companies. Management cares about life/work balance, so long as projects get done. Close working relations with multiple departments. It's possible to work full-time and not work, 60-70 hours every week.

Cons

The culture is sometimes a little too corporate for some. Management is trying to change this, but some expectations people have can't or just won't happen for various reasons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight!

RSS Feed </> Embed