Bit9 + Carbon Black

Patrick Morley

Summer Intern at Bit9

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Bit9 + Carbon Black as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1, People there treat you respectively. Know when to push you.
    2, Very encouraging environment, like good ideas.
    3, The company is actually growing fast.

Cons

The progress is kinda slow and I think we debated a little too much. Maybe a little too much politics for a technical company.

Be more aware of each member's role in the team.

Love my job

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I feel like we're on a rocket ship - tremendous growth! Great company with leadership team that truly cares. Every company tries to talk about having a great culture; we actually have a great culture. It's not the "cult" kind of culture you find at some places, but things seem to happen organically. For example, someone started up a softball league and also ran a trivia night (nobody asked him to do it, he just did it... and we all had a blast!). We do some neat stuff with charities - members of our Product team chipped in and bought bicycles for kids in need. Also, we have a strong sense of transparency.

For the most part, everyone seems to be very happy here.

I would recommend Bit9 to anyone who who wants to make a difference at a company that's making a difference. Cyber security is a really great industry to be part of.

Cons

We're growing so quickly, that it's obvious that everyone is being pulled in too many directions. Teams are starting to lose their creative touch (and focus) as they're now required to have multiple meetings (and often have pre-meetings and post-meetings to make sure everyone's on the same page), create new (and ever changing) reports and it's unclear whether or not the reports are being utilized. We're seeing lots of reorganization - some new leaders have been brought in. This is normal for a company of our size in this stage, and it's not a negative.

Not too much advice to management. I would suggest developing a clear communication strategy regarding some of the organizational changes that way there's less confusion.

Best move I've ever made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the atmosphere. Everyone is so supportive and there is a work hard, play hard mentality here.

There is a clear direction at Bit9 + Carbon Black, and everyone seems to be on board in achieving the same goal. The Bit9 + Carbon Black solution is innovative and I've learned more since I started working here than I ever had anywhere else. I consider myself very lucky to be a part of this organization.

Cons

I really don't have any.

Keep up the good work! You seem to motivate those around you.

Having a great time!

Current Employee - Director in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love this team, making great friends, learning every day. The execs really care about culture and the team and walk the talk. CEO rocks!

Cons

Lots of constant change, sometime hard to keep up.

Keep delegating and trusting us to do more. Feels good and let's keep this rocket ship going..

Great team and exciting growth

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of responsibility from day one, great co-workers/culture, experienced leadership, great exposure to execs, fun and tangible incentives to hit goals, exciting growth of the team - especially within the last year, very good product and technical team, snacks/office perks, a lot of independence, team atmosphere: not a cut-throat sales environment like some start-ups in Boston - everyone wants to help everyone succeed.

Cons

In Waltham - so not as convenient for those living downtown and less lunch/after-work options, but reverse commute usually isn't bad.

3's a Charm!

Current Employee - Professional Services
    Current Employee - Professional Services

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can love what you do, love the people you work with, or love your paycheck. Get one, that's a good job, get two, that's a great career. You can actually get all three at this company. Surrounded by intelligent, motivated people. Executives have a great balance of smarts and snarl. Employees believe in a greater cause. And people seem wiling to grow and change.

Cons

Definitely a high-growth company, which means there's lots to do, things are changing often, continuous learning and re-learning, plenty of effort required. It's definitely a place to challenge yourself and take it to the next level. Not a place to take a rest, or hide quietly in a corner. Surprising in a way how incredibly few people have left the company, usually high-growth situations shed a lot more people. Surprising amount of respect for work-life balance given all that.

Keep doing what you're doing, but don't stop trying to get better.

Very exciting company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to like about my job. I work from home, travel 25-50%, get paid well, and I was promoted within my first year on the job. I have been working from home/traveling for 10 years, and the work-life balance is much better than my old gig at IBM. The products we have are great, because they actually to help our customers. It's nice to be able to really get behind the products we sell.

Cons

The company is experiencing high growth, so there is plenty of work to do. It's exciting, but it can be overwhelming sometimes. We had a host of process issue last year, but the company changed to start fixing those.

Keep the bar high. It's so nice to work with people that know their stuff and want to make this company successful.

Great place to work

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Bit9 + Carbon Black as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Upbeat environment, collaborative and helpful across all departments. Technically challenging and a constant learning environment.

Cons

None. Unless technical challenges (in engineering) are not your desire.

Best Company I have Been Associated With

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly energized; team focused; "get it done" attitude; how do we help each other to accomplish our goals and objectives; very good benefits; excellent executive vision; clear and effective communications; focused efforts to sustain culture and keep remote employees involved; solid remote employee infrastructure

Cons

As a remote employee, it can be difficult to stay connected to the hum of the office; quality at a fast pace is required; career advancement is evolving

continue building out the core infrastructure to support the rapid growth.

Great people, great product, but increasing corporate Kool-Aid

I have been working at Bit9 + Carbon Black full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The product and the people behind it are phenomenal. Company is growing incredibly fast, making for plenty of room even for newbies to contribute significantly.

Cons

The company is growing and changing so fast that sometimes it feels like "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing". Also far too much "corporate Kool-Aid" during all-hands meetings, which minimal relevance to the actual work at hand.

Tone down the marketing/sales presentations at all-hands meetings. Engineering and other technical resources don't have much appetite for this content.

Bit9 + Carbon Black Photos