Bitcasa

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Brian Taptitch

Customer Support

Customer Support (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsVibrant startup, great culture, fun place to work, great location, great benefits. It was a pleasure to work with the Bitcasa team.

ConsTough work, but this is hardly a con. It was a great challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

If you have the chance to work for Bitcasa - do it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe culture is absolutely amazing - everyone works hard towards the same goal and plays hard to celebrate our major wins. The team is all there for one reason and it solidifies the company in every way.

Not only does Bitcasa offer extremely competitive salaries but benefits are 100% covered, too. Along with 5 weeks of vacation and a dog friendly office? Just really an't lose.

ConsThere are just way too many snack options.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and continue offering transparency to the team.

Be Very Wary

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are lots of technical challenges.

ConsManagement has terrible communication skills.
    Exceedingly noisy office where it's impossible to get work done. Management ignores requests to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was let go from Bitcasa for 'performance' reasons. My last review, which was almost a year ago was fine. Since that time, there have been no performance reviews and no informal feedback from management regarding my performance. Then, suddenly, I am let go for performance reasons.

Be very wary of this company. Would you want to work for a company that has no review process and then suddenly decided to let people go to to unsubstantiated performance reasons?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

To Infinity and beyond!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat location on Castro, Brilliant minds to bounce ideas back and forth. Very fast paced with huge potential for growth. Plethora of snacks and free Eat Club! Great Benefits and unlimited Vacation ;)

ConsWe do not party enough... Need more team building events.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire A list players to add to the great roster and do not settle for less.

A Market Disrupter!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGame-changing product and technology, tremendous opportunity to grow, transparency from the top-down, awesome culture, super talented people, free food/snacks, seconds from the Caltrain station, centrally-located (downtown Mountain View), encouraged to speak out, ownership, and most importantly--fun!

ConsWe're growing our customer-base at a pace that is difficult to keep up at times. But things are improving day-by-day as we staff up and continue to refine and evolve our strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture going!

Fast rising star-up!

ProsGreat team, location, and innovative product. Lunches are free, lot's of free snacks and drinks and a company account to our local coffee house.

ConsVery competitive space. Can be hectic at times

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course and believe in your product and people.

Poor CEO

ProsGreat schwag, lunch everyday, nice office on castro that's close to caltrain. Engineering team is great, fun to work with.

ConsCEO is a bit confused. No clear vision. Very random thought process. Very arrogant, chest thumping attitude which makes it even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO - please organize your thoughts, develop a strategy, listen to others and get a healthy dose of humility. The valley is filled with some amazing leaders and if you want to be successful, you'll have to start acting like one.

Great company and team with an exciting future

ProsBitcasa is young, very ambitious, and moving very fast. We solve very hard problems daily with a great team and inspired management. Catered lunches, free coffee at Red Rock, macbook airs, infinite vacation days, and an awesome Castro St. office make for a great working environment. Self sufficiency and ownership are encouraged. Culture is eclectic and certainly unique.

ConsAmazing success early on has lead to a high bar internally. There is alot going on technically and with the business. Operating at "Bitcasa speed" is difficult for some that come from more laid back environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going. Its hard doing things that are new and not everybody gets it. Thats ok.

High-intensity, adrenaline-inducing ride - not without your typical startup problems, but ultimately satisfying

Early Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Fantastic team synergy. There's a real sense of camaraderie among employees, bridging diverse ethnicity and age gaps.
    - Even though team is growing at fanatic pace, the management / development planning structure is still horizontal - you own your product and have direct control over what to prioritize and implement.
    - Awesome workplace / location/ perks, on par with other hottest startups in Silicon Valley
    - Fundamentally different approach to cloud storage - infinite, always available, extremely secure

Cons- Not suitable for "I'm satisfied with my 9-5 job maintaining the same code for 2 years" or "I can't take a simple criticism" kind of employees.
    - Critical bug in your production code? You have to own up to your mistakes and fix it. This might mean a few (really) late nighters.
    - CEO, at times, can be super intense ... but what CEO of a successful startup isn't? Make sure to proactively engage in conversations with him; he's ultimately a reasonable && good guy at heart.
    - Still lots of hacks holding everything together.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery impressed (professionally and personally) with the team so far. Probably need more engineers. And more types of beef jerkies... one can never have enough jerkies.

Very unhealthy environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat team. Great office location in downtown mountain view. Lunch everyday and good food / snack options for employees.

ConsIt's a great environment as long as the CEO isn't around (which is not often enough to make it worthwhile). CEO tends to have a "my way or the highway" sort of attitude towards leadership and is not very open to having constructive discussions about critical issues. He is also someone that does not build or inspire trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.

Worked for Bitcasa? Contribute to the Community!