Black Box

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael McAndrew

Pros:
  • "The Box continues to let go the good people, so we pick them up when they become available"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great benefits and just get it all in writing"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management winning trips and awards while the workers get nothing"
    in 5 reviews
  • "No raises, Don't know who is running the office from one day to the next"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Spiraling into a Black Hole

Tech Support (Former Employee)
    Lawrence, PA

ProsInteresting products and good experience

ConsThis is a layoff-happy company. No matter how hard you try, you will never get promoted unless you are in tight with the boss or know someone. You can have a degree, certifications or PHD yet a schmo off the street with no credentials will get promoted before you. Be prepared to get a stupid email every day to "pick it up" or you will not get a measly bonus and may be on the list to lose your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are not pawns in a chess game, quit laying people off to meet your numbers and start paying the average Joe that make the company run instead of promoting a wonder-boy who is driving moral and the company straight into the ground.

I am one of the last ones remaining in a false position... do not apply here!

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Lawrence, PA

Pros3 starts for the people only. Work/life balance is actually awesome.

ConsDo we really need 1 manager per 3 people. A generous job offer really is misleading. There isn't a chance to move up in the company and everyone working there is either waiting for retirement or actively looking for a job because they were misled too. They lay off to make numbers look good. It's a real shame as there is a lot of potential for this to be a great company...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will not keep anyone around at this rate. 8 people quitting for same position in 8 months indicates there is is a problem!

Great employer

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsCompany has great compensation & benefits

ConsLimited longer term opportunities. Improve cadence of closing sales and stabilize inflow of projects

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worst company in the world

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Blue Bell, PA

Prosno pros at this company

Consthey work you hours and don't pay you for them and if you bring it up they get rid of you

Advice to Senior Managementstop drinking

BBNS (Norstan) Lots of good, plenty of bad

Voice Services Senior Field Technician (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful tech support engineers, decent health care, long term insurance, vacation, great coworkers, home office, great customers, plenty of travel, fair branch manager. Actually, I love my job, it is interesting and very satisfying.

ConsNo raise in 7 years, make 20% less than 10 years ago. Poor 401K match. Old outdated employee laptops.

Complete lack of training on new products or software releases. BBNS unintegrated entities competing against us for opportunities, but our labor rates not even remotely competitive with other independent or BBNS entities. No local or statewide advertising of our branch, although unintegrated BBNS advertise.

Lousy car allowance with Runzheimer, I'm actually subsidizing my work travel. Unable to carry over any vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training! Salary increases. Integrate all BBNS entities. Unrealistic sales goal growth in this economy unless rates become more competitive.

Getting Better than it was with previous boss

ProsGetting better with new management

Conspoor sales are starting to hit balance sheet hard.

Bad from the start, and worse as it went

Project Manasger (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsA great regional Manager, Great employees to work with

ConsNo raises, They work salary employees extreem hours. Good ole boy network. no advancments. just alot of empty promises. Customer Service is not important, only the " Bottom Line" You can be replaced is often said. Too many hands in the pot at once with national customers. everyone wants to rule the kingdom. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Advice to Senior ManagementMurfreesboro, this is to your office - Hire qualified people to manage this company. Your friends have no clue. Customer service is the key to making money. The "bottom line will be ok if you take care of your customers. Treat your employees like humans, not the lowlife you think they are.

Too Cheap! Low Salaries. Bad moral!

Technician (Current Employee)
    Amityville, NY

ProsLots of technologies and opportunities but low pay! We work hard and the company remains profitable. Still some good people left at the company.

ConsAlthough the company remains profitable we are continually put off when it comes to raises. No salary increase in years! This applies to most employees. Very bad moral.
    Recently brought in another company to join this office. Has made it really terrible. Very UN-ethical group mostly because of the leadership. Has made going to work very difficult. Too many good people have left the company and many more will leave soon!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage! Take a class!!! You don't know what you're doing.
    First get rid of the leaders with the new addition, that would be a great start.

High pressure job from upper management.

ProsGreat benefits, compensation and team spirit.

ConsUnder constant pressure to "make your numbers".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen better to the employees.

Full of hope in the beginning, total despair and regret in the end.

Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee)
    Winston-Salem, NC

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Decent product and support. Wide array of technologies, large domestic footprint. Very good technical support on the Hotline call in service.

ConsYou need to accept you are only a number, there is no personal identity. They believe it is ALL ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE. The truth is that People, are the ones who create the bottom line. The term micro managed is an understatement. There were more UN kept promises than there are minutes in a year. The regional/local management were in so far over their heads, they had to lay on their backs to see daylight.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop hiring the good old boy's from Murfreesboro TN to run the company and hie a professional from outside that has not been brainwashed or has any ties to the current regime. Your board of directors need to acknowledge this fact, and put the management staff in the corporate facility where they belong.

Worked for Black Box? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black Box reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Black Box CEO Michael McAndrew. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Black Box employees.