Black Box

WHAT A JOKE!

Blackbox-br549 (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

ProsWhat a Joke!!!!!!!!!!

If you enjoy being a number you are in luck! They have an excellent number plan you never get over being a zero. So the best reasons are these....Met some great Customers. They will be truly missed.

ConsWhere to start. Lies,Lies and more Lies.
No raises, Don't know who is running the office from one day to the next.
Techs can't even get shirts to work in. Hello?? You want us to wear your logo and stand proud, but yet you horde shirts like they are of The Golden Fleece?

Management playing the blame game to make themselves look good.
What does Management do just go to lunch and eat?
Upper Management winning trips and awards while the workers get nothing. Not even a Thank You!
What a Joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly value your employees as much as you claim, You would listen to their complaints and try to take steps to resolve the issue. I would get rid of the management that you have a get people that are hungry for what it truly takes to be a Leader. What does it take to be a Leader you ask? You will never know.

Project Lead

Material (Current Employee)
San Juan, PR

I have been working at Black Box

ProsTo obtain professional Experience in Projects. As an IT, Telecommunication Company, Black Box is an excellent feedback for my curriculum.

ConsBlack Box is a contractor of many Company, most of them are Global Contracts. In most of the position we are expose to international professionals and the ultimate technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company an its leaders are highly professionals. Their Global approach to Companies as a Contractor is to subcontract companies in terms of cost effectiveness. This is kind of messy because theirs to many people to respond.

Profit Driven at the expense of the Customer and Employee.

Manager (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Black Box

ProsYou have a job, not a career.

ConsEmployee's are expected to work constantly and to be on-call 7/24.
No Home life, your work is your life.
Management does not back up Managers.

Finance located in Minnetonka MN

I have been working at Black Box

ProsFleible work hours, well organized processes

ConsNo advancement opportunites, no pay increases in five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement is very good. The only problem is the lack of advancment opportunities and pay increases.

Black Box - Yeah!

Redwood City, CA

I worked at Black Box

ProsCompetitive environment, fair management, and having the ability to keep up with the competition leads to a good place to work. Opportunities for advancement may increase once the economy rebounds and more companies increase CAPEX and OPEX for IT and Telephony equipment.

ConsIn the current landscape, there may not be too many opportunities to advance your career because of the business space that Black Box is in...the Telecom/IT industry has taken a big hit, but it is now starting to come around.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must keep in mind that this company is built around great people and that the mission to reduce cost is not always realized by cutting head count. It may be the easiest and quickest way, but not the best way...

Mixed Experience at Black Box Network Services, San Jose

San Jose, CA

I worked at Black Box

ProsSupport for professional development. Cooperative branch offices that enable nationwide and international customer support. Financial capability to fund any profitable project.

ConsFor all of the talk about collaboration and resources available from Regional and HQ, requests for help often go unanswered. No one has seen a raise in five years. A recent pro-union vote has institutionalised a long standing breakdown between installers/technicians and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe had a good long run, most of which was great fun. I wish you all the best in these difficult times.

positive experience

Voice Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Box

Prostechnical training is emphisied and encouraged

Conslong hours and lack of teaming to solve issues

Advice to Senior Managementreview work lod as compared with employee skill and eagerness to excel

Not stable employment if you work in sales.

Account Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Black Box

ProsThe commission was good then but it may have decreased since they laid off most of the sales dept. Most of the co-workers were fun and helpful. Locations are in Minnetonka and Brooklyn Park. Parking is adequate. Bathrooms are clean.

ConsIf you are new to the telecom industry, they do not formally train you on product knowledge. You read out of manuals or teach yourself using their online training modules. Not much supervision which isn't always a bad thing but a little more would have been beneficial. There were hardly any sales meetings. Poor indoor lighting. The clientele is uninteresting for the most part. So if you're looking to serve customers/clients with personalities, telecom is not a good industry for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire people to grow your company's business and then 10 months later lay off over half the salesforce. That's just bad business and word gets around.

Decent company but very cheap and poorly ran

Tech Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Black Box full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome nice experienced people who are willing to help. Steady work, nice products

ConsYou are a number, working hard does not matter because it is not noticed. No raises, no bonus, human resources is an absolute joke. Promotion is based on the buddy system. Upper management and CEOs profits go up, the lower class stay the same or get let go like they do not matter

Advice to Senior ManagementWipe out some of the old tenured fogies and bring in new blood. Promote from within and stop the buddy program. Give people incentive to want to stay instead of treating them like cattle

If you want military style management, this is the place to work!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Black Box full-time for more than a year

ProsCan't think of any pros here sorry.

ConsThe management will pump up their division as part of the huge mothership, when in fact they stay as far from the main company as possible, which limits the ability to actually do your work. Oh and they keep laying people off, then go on a hiring spree.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your employees as people, not as part of a military organization.

Worked for Black Box? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black Box reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Black Box CEO Michael McAndrew. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Black Box employees.