Black Box

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.5

Michael McAndrew

Pros
  • The Box continues to let go the good people, so we pick them up when they become available (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits and just get it all in writing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no raises, no direction from upper management, they stand in their own way of being successful (in 6 reviews)

• No raises, Don't know who is running the office from one day to the next (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Benefits and leadership make this a worthwhile company

I have been working at Black Box full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Wages and benefit packages

Cons

Somewhat Geographic in nature. Although a nationally oriented company, employees may seem like they are on an island at times.

It's a great time to be at Black Box.

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Black Box has recognized a need to focus efforts where it matters. These efforts include gauging employee satisfaction, a plan to correct areas of dissatisfaction, comprehensive benefit offerings for the whole company, and outside consultants to better our processes so we may serve our customers efficiently and consistently.

Black Box has encompassing technology solutions to offer which leads to a sense of self-satisfaction through customer happiness.

Time-off is competitive, work-life balance is good.

Career paths aren't inherently easy to find, but if you work hard and take initiative doors will open. Good people prosper here.

Relationships inside departments are strong.

Cons

Internally, many are afraid to challenge the status quo. Just because something has always been done, doesn't mean it should be done. Things should be done right on principle. Leadership understands this, but doesn't always communicate it (at all levels).

Accountability at the management level can be lacking at times. Some (not all!) management is left to their discretion which works against the company objectives of aligning process.

New medical benefit coverage makes it harder on families.

There is little to no equity in compensation as it stands, but this is one of the initiatives leadership is committed to correcting.

Team building and activities are almost non-existent at the office level. Cross-functional relationships are sometimes strained because others can't see big picture objectives.

Stop being so results focused, it only produces in the short run. Be people-focused! Invest in your employees with tangible evidence- they are your biggest and best resource. Place them over the product portfolio and watch as your company thrives.

Be fair to those you manage. That doesn't mean treat them all equally, it means treat them in direct proportion to the drive and care they put into working for Black Box everyday because that's what's fair!

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Closed doors, hiding behind emails, lack of team meetings, preferred parking spots, secluded office areas are doing you no favors. Smile and greet your employees every day- all of them, no matter your mood!

Don't be afraid to challenge the status quo, but trust others to be experts where they have expertise.

This company is in your hands- even if you supervise or lead only one other person! It's going to good places so jump on the train!

Good place to learn and earn new job titles.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment for project coordinators. The opportunity to learn new skills and add responsibilities to your work load is there for the asking. Some travel opportunities depending on your skill sets.

Cons

No clear Human Resource practices. Minimal job descriptions for any position in the lower tiers. Raises of any kind are rare and slow to come if promised. I had 1 raise in 3 years and it took almost a year to go into effect. Pay is not in line with industry standards. Management is mired in a strange mix of Taylorism and 1970s style laissez faire guidance.

Engage in long term financial planning for the company. Set 1 month, 6 month 12 month, 24 month and 60 month goals. Staffing levels need to be set and maintained so that cost overrun from overtime is avoided. Bids for jobs do not need to be cut just to obtain revenue when profit is the goal. Engage in new management styles or seek outside assistance to update all methods and procedures. Update pay rates and benefits to be competitive with industry peers so that they aren't "graduated" to other companies. Invest in employees via certifications and education.

Good for Experience but do not expect to get Paid Market Rate

Former Employee - Network Field Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Network Field Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got extensive experience as a Network Field Engineer. I worked with some excellent co-workers. I worked on different projects with varying degrees of difficulty.

Cons

Below industry standard pay. No job review in over 2 1/2 years. No raise(s) is 2 1/2 years. No path for advancement. No diversity in management, upper or middle.

As a company,Black Box is excellent at securing contracts. It seems as though no one considers what it takes to staff those projects during the bidding process. That in turn, leaves the technicians woefully unprepared to be able to complete the job and give the you a "no one at the top knows what they are doing" feeling.

Started out positive, but became increasingly disappointed.

Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Black Box as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and it was a pretty easy place to get into. Starting pay is ok if you know what to ask for.

Cons

Lack of communication from management, not a good environment for contract employees, does not value even dedicated employees. Leadership would rather focus on micromanaging employees than investing them and making a positive work environment.

Set expectations and follow them. Don't lie to employees and sell them on a dream that will never come to fruition. Just be honest to your people.

Could be worse

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working for the manager of my department. There is a good work/life balance.

Cons

Although I did manage to negotiate my salary when hired a tiny bit, they didn't tell me that I would be at my cap for my position.

Be willing to pay those employees you find to be outstanding performers.

Great experience working with Black Box. Had to leave due to govt contract limitations. Would have stayed if possible.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were the best part. Good leadership, 401K contributions and other benefits. They allowed a good work-like balance and understand when thing happen that need your attention at home.

Cons

Would like more opportunities to move up. Company is segmented due to acquisition of smaller companies over the years, They need to continue to remove the segmentation and work as one company.

Black Box is a large company and offers challenging positions with varied duties.

I worked at Black Box

Pros

The pay was fair for the position and duties. For the most part, the employees were nice to work with.

Cons

There was a some lack of communication on updates and this caused conflicts and confusion in some areas.

Consider moving personnel that show dedication and performance to a permanent position more quickly.

Extremely quick to chop heads when things slow down.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Southeast Newberry, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Southeast Newberry, SC

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than a year)

Pros

most employees are friendly and cooperative

Cons

Zero loyalty, regardless of high performance. It's just a bridge job to have while looking for a position/company that pays market salaries. Overall, this is NOT a class organization

Could write volumes here....

After almost 11 years of service, corporate management in their infinite wisdom laid me off.

Former Employee - Telecommunications Technician
    Former Employee - Telecommunications Technician

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Traveling to customer sites, interacting with customers, solving their telecom problems.

Cons

Poor management, never giving merit or cost of living raises to anyone in our office.

Over the last several years, management or lack of have lost a lot of customers and are doing nothing to correct this problem. Upper management needs to realize that they need to treat their #1 assest (employees) much better than they do by giving them merit & cost of living raises. As a top rated, lead/technician, you lost a very important assest by laying me off.