Black Box

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.3

Michael McAndrew

Pros
  • The Box continues to let go the good people, so we pick them up when they become available (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits and just get it all in writing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no raises, no direction from upper management, they stand in their own way of being successful (in 6 reviews)

• No raises, Don't know who is running the office from one day to the next (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay is way below market rate. Many new hire employees use as a bridge job until better opportunities arise

I worked at Black Box

Pros

Casual, friendly, people very cooperative

Cons

Low pay rates, health care plan is mediocre. Lack of strong leadership

ehh

I have been working at Black Box

Pros

love the people that i work with

Cons

management is indecisive and slow to hire

One of the few Satisfied Employees??

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Have had 3 promotions in as many years at my time in the Box. Direct managers have been fabulous and understanding with medical leave and family emergencies for myself as well as my team.

Cons

The company as a whole acts entirely too segmented. While this office is coming along nicely into the corporate umbrella, it doesn't seem the company acts as one. Differing procedures and policies make communication between offices and even some departments considerably more difficult than necessary.

Unethical and immoral senior management. Avoid if at all possible.

Former Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Slightly better than unemployment - in all seriousness. Unfortunately the board of directors lets senior management do what ever they want and continues to ignore poor performance at the executive level.

Cons

I worked for "the Box" for over 10 years. I drank the cool-aid and received some moderate promotions and salary increases because of that. When the CEO, Mr. Young "retired" due to an FTC investigation a few years back those below him all moved up into more senior positions and had (and continue to have) free reign with no oversight. This has produced an atmosphere of fear of being fired or laid off from all staff who are not in the "buddy" club of senior management. If you are a friend or relative of management you can expect to love your job there including bonuses and raises. If you are not then you will understand why my "pros" statement is what it is. Salary increases and bonuses are non existent, I had seen neither in 5+ years before I left. If you are an officer of the company you will be paid handsomely, check out the required corporate releases to Wall Street (ticker symbol BBOX) for bonus and salary information at the exec level and you will understand what I mean. There is no expenditure on capital improvement unless it is to buy revenue for the next earnings release or to build another lavish office for those on top. I have no problem with a successful management team doing well but not when revenues are down year after year after year and the regular work force is treated the way they are. I know this reads like a ran,t however, everything I have said is true (again - check the NASDAQ filings). Just as an illustration of their ineptitude, until recently, the sales group would receive a sticker (captain America, my little pony, teamwork) etc. if they closed a deal or got a new customer as their recognition for doing well because they was no real incentives that mid management could offer. I still know people within the company and know that people are told on a daily basis that they will be fired or to "start looking" it they do not perform to whatever ludicrous revenue or gross profit goals management has set.

I do not think there is any advice to give. I am not savvy enough in business to know how to fix the problems that run so deep. The company is losing stock value daily, the board of directors needs to be replaced with a recovery team or capital investment group that would have the business acumen to demand that it be run it properly. Unfortunately I think the business model they have is outmoded by the competition. Most of their customers know that they do not manufacture anything and that 99% of the products they sell just have their sticker on the front. If they could become innovative like they were a decade ago they would have a chance but I do not think there are enough internal resources left for them to do that. I would welcome a review that refutes mine, unfortunately I do not think that is possible.

Working for Black Box

Former Employee - Mgr
    Former Employee - Mgr

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance paid you on time

Cons

They could care less about any of their employees. Senior managers only concern was about their year end bonus. The companies customer service sucks. They micro manage every aspect and show their employees no respect

Get rid of Rick Gannon to start ...then work your way from there.

Favoritism at its finest!

Former Employee - Tech in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Tech in Folsom, CA

I worked at Black Box part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being union(only because they can't make you non-union)

Cons

Working for one of the sorriest excuses of a project manager to walk this earth. . Zero training. Zero investment in company tools/supplies. Bring your own, and expect to work hard for someone else to receive the credit.

How many jobs must fail before heads roll? If things continually fall apart and contracts are lost.... should something change?

Lot's of hard work no raises.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II/Dispatcher in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II/Dispatcher in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance was good once you met the high deductible. In 6 years I grew quite a bit considering I did not know anything about the job. I went in through a temp service and they had not prepared me at all. The company valued the people

Cons

Over time the company began to devalue the employees and treat some employees better than other. Then started to micro-manage.

Do not micro-manage and treat all your employees the same.

A positive yet challenging experience.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My immediate management was fair, responsive and supportive. The company was making efforts to repair challenges .

Cons

In the end company had lost the competitive edge. Operated as many different, individual franchise branches vs a unified single company.

Bring the company together as one.

Lots of veterans and teamwork.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership is strong.
    Great teamwork.
    Fast response times.

Cons

Layers of processes can slow down innovation.

I also worked for Black Box....

Former Employee - Telecom Engineer in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Telecom Engineer in Corvallis, OR

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hmm.....can't think of any at the moment. We did get annual bonuses, up until the year I was let go, then they apparently stopped.

Cons

Underpaid, extremely poor management, very disorganized, too many to mention. Most of their "managers" have little to no experience & no formal education. One of the managers even agreed that he made a horrible manager.

Stop micro-managing & get rid of some of the chiefs. All chiefs & no Indians makes for a corporate disaster. If you treat your employees well, your employees will "want" to work hard for you. Start be giving them annual raises, BE HONEST with them & make sure the people that you put in charge of other people, are actually qualified. Black Box's Management was a joke, plain & simple.