Black Box

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.4

Michael McAndrew

Pros
  • The Box continues to let go the good people, so we pick them up when they become available (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits and just get it all in writing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no raises, no direction from upper management, they stand in their own way of being successful (in 6 reviews)

• No raises, Don't know who is running the office from one day to the next (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the few Satisfied Employees??

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Have had 3 promotions in as many years at my time in the Box. Direct managers have been fabulous and understanding with medical leave and family emergencies for myself as well as my team.

Cons

The company as a whole acts entirely too segmented. While this office is coming along nicely into the corporate umbrella, it doesn't seem the company acts as one. Differing procedures and policies make communication between offices and even some departments considerably more difficult than necessary.

Unethical and immoral senior management. Avoid if at all possible.

Former Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Slightly better than unemployment - in all seriousness. Unfortunately the board of directors lets senior management do what ever they want and continues to ignore poor performance at the executive level.

Cons

I worked for "the Box" for over 10 years. I drank the cool-aid and received some moderate promotions and salary increases because of that. When the CEO, Mr. Young "retired" due to an FTC investigation a few years back those below him all moved up into more senior positions and had (and continue to have) free reign with no oversight. This has produced an atmosphere of fear of being fired or laid off from all staff who are not in the "buddy" club of senior management. If you are a friend or relative of management you can expect to love your job there including bonuses and raises. If you are not then you will understand why my "pros" statement is what it is. Salary increases and bonuses are non existent, I had seen neither in 5+ years before I left. If you are an officer of the company you will be paid handsomely, check out the required corporate releases to Wall Street (ticker symbol BBOX) for bonus and salary information at the exec level and you will understand what I mean. There is no expenditure on capital improvement unless it is to buy revenue for the next earnings release or to build another lavish office for those on top. I have no problem with a successful management team doing well but not when revenues are down year after year after year and the regular work force is treated the way they are. I know this reads like a ran,t however, everything I have said is true (again - check the NASDAQ filings). Just as an illustration of their ineptitude, until recently, the sales group would receive a sticker (captain America, my little pony, teamwork) etc. if they closed a deal or got a new customer as their recognition for doing well because they was no real incentives that mid management could offer. I still know people within the company and know that people are told on a daily basis that they will be fired or to "start looking" it they do not perform to whatever ludicrous revenue or gross profit goals management has set.

I do not think there is any advice to give. I am not savvy enough in business to know how to fix the problems that run so deep. The company is losing stock value daily, the board of directors needs to be replaced with a recovery team or capital investment group that would have the business acumen to demand that it be run it properly. Unfortunately I think the business model they have is outmoded by the competition. Most of their customers know that they do not manufacture anything and that 99% of the products they sell just have their sticker on the front. If they could become innovative like they were a decade ago they would have a chance but I do not think there are enough internal resources left for them to do that. I would welcome a review that refutes mine, unfortunately I do not think that is possible.

Working for Black Box

Former Employee - Mgr
    Former Employee - Mgr

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good health insurance paid you on time

Cons

They could care less about any of their employees. Senior managers only concern was about their year end bonus. The companies customer service sucks. They micro manage every aspect and show their employees no respect

Get rid of Rick Gannon to start ...then work your way from there.

Favoritism at its finest!

Former Employee - Tech in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Tech in Folsom, CA

I worked at Black Box part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being union(only because they can't make you non-union)

Cons

Working for one of the sorriest excuses of a project manager to walk this earth. . Zero training. Zero investment in company tools/supplies. Bring your own, and expect to work hard for someone else to receive the credit.

How many jobs must fail before heads roll? If things continually fall apart and contracts are lost.... should something change?

Lot's of hard work no raises.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II/Dispatcher in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II/Dispatcher in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance was good once you met the high deductible. In 6 years I grew quite a bit considering I did not know anything about the job. I went in through a temp service and they had not prepared me at all. The company valued the people

Cons

Over time the company began to devalue the employees and treat some employees better than other. Then started to micro-manage.

Do not micro-manage and treat all your employees the same.

A positive yet challenging experience.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My immediate management was fair, responsive and supportive. The company was making efforts to repair challenges .

Cons

In the end company had lost the competitive edge. Operated as many different, individual franchise branches vs a unified single company.

Bring the company together as one.

Lots of veterans and teamwork.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Black Box full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership is strong.
    Great teamwork.
    Fast response times.

Cons

Layers of processes can slow down innovation.

I also worked for Black Box....

Former Employee - Telecom Engineer in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Telecom Engineer in Corvallis, OR

I worked at Black Box full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hmm.....can't think of any at the moment. We did get annual bonuses, up until the year I was let go, then they apparently stopped.

Cons

Underpaid, extremely poor management, very disorganized, too many to mention. Most of their "managers" have little to no experience & no formal education. One of the managers even agreed that he made a horrible manager.

Stop micro-managing & get rid of some of the chiefs. All chiefs & no Indians makes for a corporate disaster. If you treat your employees well, your employees will "want" to work hard for you. Start be giving them annual raises, BE HONEST with them & make sure the people that you put in charge of other people, are actually qualified. Black Box's Management was a joke, plain & simple.

Run...Run Away as Fast as You Can!

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at Black Box full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All things considered - nothing really. If you are passionate about telecom then that might be a pro.

Cons

The company is simply not run professionally. They claim to be trying to change and to go from a distributed branch model to a more cohesive model but there is no "there there". They are simply espousing words that they feel Wall Street wants to hear to try to improve their stock price but they are still run in a very disorganized, inefficient and unprofessional branch model fashion where each branch is basically run as a separate business. For instance - the sales teams in each branch do not use a consistent CRM product - therefore - there is no communication between offices regarding account ownership. You may have a company who is being targeted by sales people from multiple Black Box offices and they have no way to know or keep track of this. In this day and age where Salesforce and other products have been the standard for over 10 years - this is simply ridiculous and not acceptable. They say they are working on this but how hard can it be to roll out Salesforce company wide? They are very cheap and this is most likely the reason why this hasn't happened yet but this is very short sighted on their part. Another point that you will read in the reviews and which I experienced first hand is that they offer no training. They may tell you that you will receive training in the interview process but once you are in the door it's just expected that you start pounding the phone and producing results from day one with no real training. Most professionally run technology companies have a unified training process, CRM system, as well as some type of lead gen program so they can get the most out of higher level sales employees. Apparently this is all "in the works". They are far far away from having any such programs in place and are basically chasing their tails (wag the dog) trying to throw anything at the wall they can hoping that a few things stick. Many employees work remotely and there is no real standard or benchmark for communication between offices or employees regarding things such as acceptable response times between one another or with clients. It seems like this company has been such a revolving door that I supposed existing employees have become somewhat jaded and don't really expect that a new employee will stick around for long. This means that they are not committed to the success of new employees in a manner that you would find in most normal companies. There doesn't appear to be any level of commitment to a new employee on the company's part either after they have hired someone to ensure their success. They put new employees through a screening process like you've never experienced - such as checking their credit, doing a criminal background check, doing drug testing etc etc - but on the other hand they don't do basic common sense things such as checking references? What this says is that they don't really take the hiring process seriously and are simply "test driving" new employees in a churn and burn fashion. They have archaic methods in place that were formed around hiring field technicians and that don't apply to other professional positions and they are not savvy enough to tailor the hiring process for different positions. The company has an arbitrary and random approach to hiring and firing and does not take their commitment seriously to employees in any way, shape or form. There is more to say but you get the point. When your gut tells you something doesn't seem right in the interview process- don't ignore it! I would take a big PASS on this company and invest your time and talent in a more positive and professional environment and in a company in a growth industry with more potential.

Put your money where your mouth is as fast as you can and practice what you preach. You can only fool the analysts for so long. The truth is that the company is still run in the exact manner from which you claim to be evolving. Change doesn't happen overnight but you will be run over by your competitors if you don't figure it out much more quickly than you are.

Unethical, poorly managed company

I have been working at Black Box full-time

Pros

competitive salary and free lunch available

Cons

Poor management, no room for advancement, terrible 401k plan (0.25% match), and company is handling a potential product recall in a completely unethical way. Black Box has known about faulty wall mount cabinets for months, and despite repeated catastrophic failures in the field, refuses to release a statement to customers and distributors about the issue.

Start thinking ethically, and not about your quarterly numbers (which suck anyway)