Black Duck Software

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Business Development Representative  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

In the short period of time I've been employed here, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The training is thorough and helps you quickly adapt to the corporate culture (which is indeed very fun). While hammering the phone is not the most glamorous job, management gives you ample independence while also providing the correct incentives in order to succeed. Compared to my friends who are business development reps at other firms, my experience has been much, much better. Additionally, the opportunity for ascending within the company is exceptional as the company is experiencing tremendous growth.

Cons

There isn't much...maybe the commute?

Not sure where new leadership is taking the company

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, very collaborative within each functional organization

Cons

Pretty siloh'd organization. CEO bypasses management structure to get things done. Weird and disruptive. Barely competitive compensation, average benefits.

Help employees understand what you are trying to accomplish rather than just implementing change in a vacuum.

Great Job for Working Mom!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a new mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to balance work responsibilities with parenthood, but Black Duck has made it easier and better than I thought possible! From our CFO and CMO to my peers and colleagues, I've been shown nothing less than profound kindness and flexibility. My job is demanding (in a good way), rewarding, and I work with a wonderful team!

Cons

As with any fast-growing company, there's a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as a Con, particularly when you feel appreciated for the things you do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Held back by cheap head of Finance and a silo-building mentality.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no pros to working in IT here. If they make you an offer, decline with prejudice. Tell them you'd rather work somewhere that cares about their employees and offers the perks of the modern software industry.

Cons

Preface
    This review was removed due to a need to review it's contents and ensure accuracy. After reviewing my notes, I am confident that the cons below were accurate at the time I was employed.

Money
    The CFO is extremely tight-fisted. He has the final say on all raises, purchases, expenses, travel, bonuses and in fact anything to do with money. To give you an idea of the scale, this is a guy who wanted to start charging employee's for coffee whenever the price of K-cups increased.

Culture/Perks
    The head of HR (recently let go) was fantastic, but many of her efforts to raise the culture to pro-level were stifled by a lack of funds. Working from home? Not a chance since the CFO's idea of a good employee is one who shows up early and leaves late and always works from the office. BYOD? No way, we don't trust you and your devices, even if you work in IT and likely have the safest devices of all the employees. Want a Mac? Too bad, they're '[not corporate devices]', 'they're too expensive', even though most IT groups at companies writing linux-based software see them as the best-in-class, most well-supported, linux/BSD-based hardware available. Game room? Oddly they had one, but time spent in there was counted and then later subtly held against you.

Career advancement
    Good luck if you're in IT. The structure is small and the department reports, oddly I think, to the CFO not Engineering (who is the main internal customer). This means there's nowhere to go after you get to the manager level. Speaking of manager's, 1 left while I was still employed, and, in my opinion, met with so many restrictions to growth that they concluded pursuing a career there wasn't an option. A 2nd manager left after I did for, I assume, similar reasons. In addition, with little to no available funds for raises, title upgrades are meaningless (unless you're using them to find your next job in which case they're great).

Instead of heading for yet another round of financing (we had a few while I was there), fire the cheap CFO and rout out the silo-builders and hire people who want to make BlackDuck great. Experience is not worth someone whose greed prevents progress.

Find other ways to make the numbers work (as opposed to constant cost cutting and saying "no"). For instance, stop buying other products/companies and focus on making a really great product, not 3 or 4 mediocre products.

Hire a team to focus on culture and atmosphere; remember, happy employees who feel valued, nurtured, well-compensated, and cared about are a stronger, greater resource than all the experienced executives in the world.

Want an example of that last one?

Here's some free advice: look at Zappos. Employee happiness/engagement/interest/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a top priority, not money or customer pipeline.

experience was okok...I would say good to start with but no future being there for a long time

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

The HR was really helpful...She made me fell at home..

Cons

No future if you stay for long in this company

Nothing

Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

Cons

Overwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Care about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

Awesome Experience so far

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

Cons

None, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Keep Rocking!
    (Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Current Employee - Accounting Manager  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

The company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

Cons

The company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

Excellent Growing Company

Current Employee - Office Manager  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

Growing company, fun environment, feels like each person really matters.

Cons

Growth comes at the cost of minor cultural adjustments

Successful teamwork!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

The company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

Cons

As with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
    Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

With so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

Worked for Black Duck Software? Contribute to the Community!