Black Duck Software

Fun, Upbeat Sales Department - Great Start-up Atmosphere

Current Employee - Business Development in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a sales-focused company with a start-up feel. Music is playing, ping-pong tables, beer on tap, free snacks and drinks (Redbull as an essential). They train you well and want to see you succeed. I've enjoyed working here thus far and the company's growth keeps me optimistic for my own personal growth within the company! I would and have recommended friends to join the team and they have nothing but great things to say!

Cons

This is a tough commute if you don't live in the area.

Great place for young people to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great start-up, high energy environment. It is a great place especially for young people to start a career in sales and tech/software. A place where hard work is recognized, appreciated and rewarded.
    Lots of perks that make coming to work an enjoyable experience.

Cons

No cons come to mind right away. Commute isn't ideal, but, as a young person, location stills allows you to live almost anywhere i.e. Boston or surrounding areas.

Keep going in the same direction!

HR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun collaborative progressive work environment. Sr Management is very accessible and provide great direction. Culture is awesome- monthly social events, happy hours- beer taps and ping pong tournaments
    Able to make a real impact and take ownership of various projects.
    Benefits are great- unlimited vacation

Cons

Continue to be agile and adaptable to expanding needs of workforce. Be able to continue small collaborative culture during exponential growth over next two years

Growing company with a lot to offer!

Former Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working with new technologies (ex: Hadoop), many different things to work on, interesting big data problems, friendly coworkers, and increasing sense of community. I interned with Black Duck Software over the summer and had a great experience there.

Cons

Office is rather small and crowded, but they're already in the works to fix this and expand!

Please continue the team-building/community-building events! They were wonderful.

Intern Experience at Black Duck

Former Employee - Software Intern in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Intern in Burlington, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere. The company does everything it can to make sure you enjoy your time there. They have company sponsored events and a great culture. Truly a pleasure working at Black Duck.

Cons

When I first arrived I worked primarily alone. My original boss ended up leaving. That left me stranded for a moment, but I quickly joined a different team and became a more integral part of Black Duck.

Sales Rep

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

Flexible with time and independent work atmosphere

Cons

Cold calling, disorganized, no training

Not sure where new leadership is taking the company

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, very collaborative within each functional organization

Cons

Pretty siloh'd organization. CEO bypasses management structure to get things done. Weird and disruptive. Barely competitive compensation, average benefits.

Help employees understand what you are trying to accomplish rather than just implementing change in a vacuum.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the short period of time I've been employed here, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The training is thorough and helps you quickly adapt to the corporate culture (which is indeed very fun). While hammering the phone is not the most glamorous job, management gives you ample independence while also providing the correct incentives in order to succeed. Compared to my friends who are business development reps at other firms, my experience has been much, much better. Additionally, the opportunity for ascending within the company is exceptional as the company is experiencing tremendous growth.

Cons

There isn't much...maybe the commute?

Great Job for Working Mom!

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a new mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to balance work responsibilities with parenthood, but Black Duck has made it easier and better than I thought possible! From our CFO and CMO to my peers and colleagues, I've been shown nothing less than profound kindness and flexibility. My job is demanding (in a good way), rewarding, and I work with a wonderful team!

Cons

As with any fast-growing company, there's a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as a Con, particularly when you feel appreciated for the things you do.

Held back by cheap head of Finance and a silo-building mentality.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working in IT here. If they make you an offer, decline with prejudice. Tell them you'd rather work somewhere that cares about their employees and offers the perks of the modern software industry.

Cons

Preface
    This review was removed due to a need to review it's contents and ensure accuracy. After reviewing my notes, I am confident that the cons below were accurate at the time I was employed.

Money
    The CFO is extremely tight-fisted. He has the final say on all raises, purchases, expenses, travel, bonuses and in fact anything to do with money. To give you an idea of the scale, this is a guy who wanted to start charging employee's for coffee whenever the price of K-cups increased.

Culture/Perks
    The head of HR (recently let go) was fantastic, but many of her efforts to raise the culture to pro-level were stifled by a lack of funds. Working from home? Not a chance since the CFO's idea of a good employee is one who shows up early and leaves late and always works from the office. BYOD? No way, we don't trust you and your devices, even if you work in IT and likely have the safest devices of all the employees. Want a Mac? Too bad, they're '[not corporate devices]', 'they're too expensive', even though most IT groups at companies writing linux-based software see them as the best-in-class, most well-supported, linux/BSD-based hardware available. Game room? Oddly they had one, but time spent in there was counted and then later subtly held against you.

Career advancement
    Good luck if you're in IT. The structure is small and the department reports, oddly I think, to the CFO not Engineering (who is the main internal customer). This means there's nowhere to go after you get to the manager level. Speaking of manager's, 1 left while I was still employed, and, in my opinion, met with so many restrictions to growth that they concluded pursuing a career there wasn't an option. A 2nd manager left after I did for, I assume, similar reasons. In addition, with little to no available funds for raises, title upgrades are meaningless (unless you're using them to find your next job in which case they're great).

Instead of heading for yet another round of financing (we had a few while I was there), fire the cheap CFO and rout out the silo-builders and hire people who want to make BlackDuck great. Experience is not worth someone whose greed prevents progress.

Find other ways to make the numbers work (as opposed to constant cost cutting and saying "no"). For instance, stop buying other products/companies and focus on making a really great product, not 3 or 4 mediocre products.

Hire a team to focus on culture and atmosphere; remember, happy employees who feel valued, nurtured, well-compensated, and cared about are a stronger, greater resource than all the experienced executives in the world.

Want an example of that last one?

Here's some free advice: look at Zappos. Employee happiness/engagement/interest/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a top priority, not money or customer pipeline.

Black Duck Software Photos