Black Duck Software

Black Duck Software Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Lou Shipley

Awesome Experience so far

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

ConsNone, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Rocking!
(Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

Successful teamwork!

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsThe company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

ConsAs with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Accounting Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsThe company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

ConsThe company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Revolutionary Dynamic Company

Corporate Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsInnovative product from and innovative company in a new and exciting industry. Demand for products and services has been incredible and growth has been remarkable. A young, energetic company with amazing people and exciting unique culture. Extremely competent and "well known" executive staff that are always willing to lend a hand. No role is too small or unimportant.

ConsFast growing most of the time equates to lots of work. The day goes by fast and when you're around people who all enjoy what they are doing it makes it much easier.

Excellent Growing Company

Office Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsGrowing company, fun environment, feels like each person really matters.

ConsGrowth comes at the cost of minor cultural adjustments

Simply great

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsAccess to the cutting edge technologies on market

ConsNot enough funding and so no access to commercial products

An interesting one where a lot was learned

Misc (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsProduct/Service that organizations truly need, a winning executive team, nice/intelligent co-workers, a company that allows company outings/etc, nice office space, lots more

Conssales can be cut throat and cold and you won't always receive the direction, guidance or feedback needed from sales managers to ensure that you'll be successful. also, there is little balance between work and free time.

Advice to Senior Managementnone. they are all great for the most part.

Great job

Waltham, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsIf you believe in free/open-source software use, this company is focused on just that. It's a great place for people that have interest in progressive licensing.

ConsLocation: Waltham, MA. The commute is terrible for most of us, having no public transportation and the highways and back-roads around the office are perpetually congested.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone public.

experience was okok...I would say good to start with but no future being there for a long time

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

ProsThe HR was really helpful...She made me fell at home..

ConsNo future if you stay for long in this company

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time for more than a year

ProsBest thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

ConsOverwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

Worked for Black Duck Software? Contribute to the Community!

Black Duck Software Videos

Black Duck Software – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​Helping Developers Build Better Software Faster with the Power of Open Source​​ At Black Duck, we believe the future of software development relies on the effective and informed use of open source technologies and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black Duck Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Black Duck Software CEO Lou Shipley. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Black Duck Software employees.