Black Duck Software

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Lou Shipley

Great Place to work

Business Development Representative (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsIn the short period of time I've been employed here, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The training is thorough and helps you quickly adapt to the corporate culture (which is indeed very fun). While hammering the phone is not the most glamorous job, management gives you ample independence while also providing the correct incentives in order to succeed. Compared to my friends who are business development reps at other firms, my experience has been much, much better. Additionally, the opportunity for ascending within the company is exceptional as the company is experiencing tremendous growth.

ConsThere isn't much...maybe the commute?

Great Job for Working Mom!

Marketing (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsAs a new mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to balance work responsibilities with parenthood, but Black Duck has made it easier and better than I thought possible! From our CFO and CMO to my peers and colleagues, I've been shown nothing less than profound kindness and flexibility. My job is demanding (in a good way), rewarding, and I work with a wonderful team!

ConsAs with any fast-growing company, there's a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as a Con, particularly when you feel appreciated for the things you do.

Awesome Experience so far

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsAwesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

ConsNone, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Rocking!
    (Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Successful teamwork!

Marketing (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThe company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

ConsAs with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
    Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThe company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

ConsThe company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

Revolutionary Dynamic Company

Corporate Sales (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsInnovative product from and innovative company in a new and exciting industry. Demand for products and services has been incredible and growth has been remarkable. A young, energetic company with amazing people and exciting unique culture. Extremely competent and "well known" executive staff that are always willing to lend a hand. No role is too small or unimportant.

ConsFast growing most of the time equates to lots of work. The day goes by fast and when you're around people who all enjoy what they are doing it makes it much easier.

Excellent Growing Company

Office Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsGrowing company, fun environment, feels like each person really matters.

ConsGrowth comes at the cost of minor cultural adjustments

Simply great

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAccess to the cutting edge technologies on market

ConsNot enough funding and so no access to commercial products

An interesting one where a lot was learned

Misc (Current Employee)

ProsProduct/Service that organizations truly need, a winning executive team, nice/intelligent co-workers, a company that allows company outings/etc, nice office space, lots more

Conssales can be cut throat and cold and you won't always receive the direction, guidance or feedback needed from sales managers to ensure that you'll be successful. also, there is little balance between work and free time.

Advice to Senior Managementnone. they are all great for the most part.

Great job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsIf you believe in free/open-source software use, this company is focused on just that. It's a great place for people that have interest in progressive licensing.

ConsLocation: Waltham, MA. The commute is terrible for most of us, having no public transportation and the highways and back-roads around the office are perpetually congested.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone public.

Worked for Black Duck Software? Contribute to the Community!