Black Duck Software

HR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun collaborative progressive work environment. Sr Management is very accessible and provide great direction. Culture is awesome- monthly social events, happy hours- beer taps and ping pong tournaments
    Able to make a real impact and take ownership of various projects.
    Benefits are great- unlimited vacation

Cons

Continue to be agile and adaptable to expanding needs of workforce. Be able to continue small collaborative culture during exponential growth over next two years

Great place for young people to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great start-up, high energy environment. It is a great place especially for young people to start a career in sales and tech/software. A place where hard work is recognized, appreciated and rewarded.
    Lots of perks that make coming to work an enjoyable experience.

Cons

No cons come to mind right away. Commute isn't ideal, but, as a young person, location stills allows you to live almost anywhere i.e. Boston or surrounding areas.

Keep going in the same direction!

Fun, Upbeat Sales Department - Great Start-up Atmosphere

Current Employee - Business Development in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a sales-focused company with a start-up feel. Music is playing, ping-pong tables, beer on tap, free snacks and drinks (Redbull as an essential). They train you well and want to see you succeed. I've enjoyed working here thus far and the company's growth keeps me optimistic for my own personal growth within the company! I would and have recommended friends to join the team and they have nothing but great things to say!

Cons

This is a tough commute if you don't live in the area.

Growing company with a lot to offer!

Former Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working with new technologies (ex: Hadoop), many different things to work on, interesting big data problems, friendly coworkers, and increasing sense of community. I interned with Black Duck Software over the summer and had a great experience there.

Cons

Office is rather small and crowded, but they're already in the works to fix this and expand!

Please continue the team-building/community-building events! They were wonderful.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the short period of time I've been employed here, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The training is thorough and helps you quickly adapt to the corporate culture (which is indeed very fun). While hammering the phone is not the most glamorous job, management gives you ample independence while also providing the correct incentives in order to succeed. Compared to my friends who are business development reps at other firms, my experience has been much, much better. Additionally, the opportunity for ascending within the company is exceptional as the company is experiencing tremendous growth.

Cons

There isn't much...maybe the commute?

Great Job for Working Mom!

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a new mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to balance work responsibilities with parenthood, but Black Duck has made it easier and better than I thought possible! From our CFO and CMO to my peers and colleagues, I've been shown nothing less than profound kindness and flexibility. My job is demanding (in a good way), rewarding, and I work with a wonderful team!

Cons

As with any fast-growing company, there's a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as a Con, particularly when you feel appreciated for the things you do.

Awesome Experience so far

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

Cons

None, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Keep Rocking!
    (Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

Successful teamwork!

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

The company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

Cons

As with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
    Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

With so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

The company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

Cons

The company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

Revolutionary Dynamic Company

Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

Innovative product from and innovative company in a new and exciting industry. Demand for products and services has been incredible and growth has been remarkable. A young, energetic company with amazing people and exciting unique culture. Extremely competent and "well known" executive staff that are always willing to lend a hand. No role is too small or unimportant.

Cons

Fast growing most of the time equates to lots of work. The day goes by fast and when you're around people who all enjoy what they are doing it makes it much easier.

Black Duck Software Photos