Black Duck Software
www.blackducksoftware.com Burlington, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Black Duck Software Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Lou Shipley

Held back by cheap head of Finance and a silo-building mentality.

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are no pros to working in IT here. If they make you an offer, decline with prejudice. Tell them you'd rather work somewhere that cares about their employees and offers the perks of the modern software industry.

ConsPreface
This review was removed due to a need to review it's contents and ensure accuracy. After reviewing my notes, I am confident that the cons below were accurate at the time I was employed.

Money
The CFO is extremely tight-fisted. He has the final say on all raises, purchases, expenses, travel, bonuses and in fact anything to do with money. To give you an idea of the scale, this is a guy who wanted to start charging employee's for coffee whenever the price of K-cups increased.

Culture/Perks
The head of HR (recently let go) was fantastic, but many of her efforts to raise the culture to pro-level were stifled by a lack of funds. Working from home? Not a chance since the CFO's idea of a good employee is one who shows up early and leaves late and always works from the office. BYOD? No way, we don't trust you and your devices, even if you work in IT and likely have the safest devices of all the employees. Want a Mac? Too bad, they're '[not corporate devices]', 'they're too expensive', even though most IT groups at companies writing linux-based software see them as the best-in-class, most well-supported, linux/BSD-based hardware available. Game room? Oddly they had one, but time spent in there was counted and then later subtly held against you.

Career advancement
Good luck if you're in IT. The structure is small and the department reports, oddly I think, to the CFO not Engineering (who is the main internal customer). This means there's nowhere to go after you get to the manager level. Speaking of manager's, 1 left while I was still employed, and, in my opinion, met with so many restrictions to growth that they concluded pursuing a career there wasn't an option. A 2nd manager left after I did for, I assume, similar reasons. In addition, with little to no available funds for raises, title upgrades are meaningless (unless you're using them to find your next job in which case they're great).

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of heading for yet another round of financing (we had a few while I was there), fire the cheap CFO and rout out the silo-builders and hire people who want to make BlackDuck great. Experience is not worth someone whose greed prevents progress.

Find other ways to make the numbers work (as opposed to constant cost cutting and saying "no"). For instance, stop buying other products/companies and focus on making a really great product, not 3 or 4 mediocre products.

Hire a team to focus on culture and atmosphere; remember, happy employees who feel valued, nurtured, well-compensated, and cared about are a stronger, greater resource than all the experienced executives in the world.

Want an example of that last one?

Here's some free advice: look at Zappos. Employee happiness/engagement/interest/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a top priority, not money or customer pipeline.

experience was okok...I would say good to start with but no future being there for a long time

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

ProsThe HR was really helpful...She made me fell at home..

ConsNo future if you stay for long in this company

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time for more than a year

ProsBest thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

ConsOverwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

A bit of a mixed bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Black Duck Software

ProsThe offices are very nice, and are customized for Black Duck with all size conference rooms and even small private rooms for making phone calls. There is a nice work culture, and it is still small enough that you can get to know people in other departments . People enjoy socializing with each other more than I've seen at other places. High quality employees throughout the company who are motivated and work hard. The walls are lined with black rubber ducks to prove that we are a "quirky" and "fun" company.

ConsThe company is in its awkward teenage years, in-between a small start up, and a big company. but lacking the benefits of both. Departments don't seem to talk and collaborate with each other well, as you would expect in a start up, and our products are clunky and hard to use as a result. There are obvious holes in certain key functions of the company where no positions exist, so these functions go undone. The "transparency" and "collaboration" that is often alluded to by management, does not really exist below the surface at this company. Not much guidance or support for individuals, career or otherwise. Management doesn't pay much attention to the day to day stuff that is going on. Not much diversity in the staff, and no movement to increase diversity. Salaries and benefits below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and see what is going on on a day-to-day basis in the company. Ask employees for their feedback, and be more responsive to day to day stuff going on in the company. Provide more support and guidance for employees.

Awesome Experience so far

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

ConsNone, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Rocking!
(Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

An interesting one where a lot was learned

Misc (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsProduct/Service that organizations truly need, a winning executive team, nice/intelligent co-workers, a company that allows company outings/etc, nice office space, lots more

Conssales can be cut throat and cold and you won't always receive the direction, guidance or feedback needed from sales managers to ensure that you'll be successful. also, there is little balance between work and free time.

Advice to Senior Managementnone. they are all great for the most part.

Successful teamwork!

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsThe company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

ConsAs with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Accounting Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsThe company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

ConsThe company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

Revolutionary Dynamic Company

Corporate Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsInnovative product from and innovative company in a new and exciting industry. Demand for products and services has been incredible and growth has been remarkable. A young, energetic company with amazing people and exciting unique culture. Extremely competent and "well known" executive staff that are always willing to lend a hand. No role is too small or unimportant.

ConsFast growing most of the time equates to lots of work. The day goes by fast and when you're around people who all enjoy what they are doing it makes it much easier.

Excellent Growing Company

Office Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black Duck Software

ProsGrowing company, fun environment, feels like each person really matters.

ConsGrowth comes at the cost of minor cultural adjustments

Worked for Black Duck Software? Contribute to the Community!

Black Duck Software Videos

Black Duck Software – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​Helping Developers Build Better Software Faster with the Power of Open Source​​ At Black Duck, we believe the future of software development relies on the effective and informed use of open source technologies and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black Duck Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Black Duck Software CEO Lou Shipley. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Black Duck Software employees.