Black Duck Software

Updated November 10, 2014
Updated November 10, 2014
4.2

Lou Shipley

experience was okok...I would say good to start with but no future being there for a long time

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

The HR was really helpful...She made me fell at home..

Cons

No future if you stay for long in this company

Nothing

Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

Cons

Overwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Care about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

Awesome Experience so far

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

Cons

None, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Keep Rocking!
    (Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

The company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

Cons

The company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

Excellent Growing Company

Current Employee - Office Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

Growing company, fun environment, feels like each person really matters.

Cons

Growth comes at the cost of minor cultural adjustments

Successful teamwork!

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

The company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

Cons

As with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
    Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

With so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

Simply great

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

Access to the cutting edge technologies on market

Cons

Not enough funding and so no access to commercial products

Revolutionary Dynamic Company

Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

Innovative product from and innovative company in a new and exciting industry. Demand for products and services has been incredible and growth has been remarkable. A young, energetic company with amazing people and exciting unique culture. Extremely competent and "well known" executive staff that are always willing to lend a hand. No role is too small or unimportant.

Cons

Fast growing most of the time equates to lots of work. The day goes by fast and when you're around people who all enjoy what they are doing it makes it much easier.

Amazing opportunities, but horrible work/life balance depending on dept.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software

Pros

BDS Is very good at providing room to grow. They do not limit how their employees excel, and if you have an idea, they will behind you 100% to implementation. There are new offices that are very clean, nice, and spacious. The senior management has an excellent head on their shoulders, and knows where the company is going overall.

Cons

Work/Life balance is an extremely problematic issue at BDS, depending on your department. Sales and Marketing run all cylinders, all the time, with no concern about employee burnout. Both departments are understaffed, and taking sick days is extremely looked down upon. Coming in at 8:30/9am and leaving around 7pm or later is not unusual.

For a Boston tech company with 100-150 employees, the benefits are barely average; there is no matching 401k, the insurance offered is an HMO for the cost of what other companies offer PPO, the pay is significantly (15%+) below market. Snacks and drinks are not free. Company laptops are provided, however they are likely to be previously used and will not be replaced until they are 100% non-functional, even if they are extremely (5+ years) old and partially non-functional.

While you know where the company is going, I would seriously consider how much you value your talent, and if you're interested in keeping them; with the way the economy continues to improve, people are going to realise that there are better opportunities elsewhere with less hours, more pay, and better benefits.

Great job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros

If you believe in free/open-source software use, this company is focused on just that. It's a great place for people that have interest in progressive licensing.

Cons

Location: Waltham, MA. The commute is terrible for most of us, having no public transportation and the highways and back-roads around the office are perpetually congested.

None public.