Black Hills Corporation

2.7

Black Hills Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO David R. Emery
David R. Emery

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A growing company with good people who want to make a positive difference in the communitities they work in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation

Pros

I believe there are lots of positives. Some of the highlights are great benefits, strong 401K match and company contribution, generous vacation, good salary level, and training. The company is very diversified which helps keep it stable through these tough times.

Cons

We all work hard here and cost cutting is always a priority...but I'd rather we be careful and frugal so we don't have layoffs or other negative surprises.

Keep it up...you're on the right track. It would be nice to see and talk with you in person more often.

Work comes first for this company, personal and family time second.

Current Employee - Accountant in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Accountant in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation

Pros

Established stable company with great opportunity for growth.

Cons

Extensive hours required to complete position responsibilities. Very little time for family.

Expand professional work force to allow for the companies growth.

Competitive benefits and compensation but poor management and culture.

Former Employee - Senior Telecom Engineer in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Senior Telecom Engineer in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Black Hills Corporation

Pros

The salary and benefits are very competitive, and are actually better than most companies are. Good percent matching to 401K; good profit sharing plan; good health insurance.

Cons

Management (in IT) does not communicate well at all.
    No training opportunities despite the opposite being referenced on its corporate and career websites.
    No employee recognition and no team building processes.
    The call center (customer service department) was also a low priority to management so there systems and processes are behind the curve in technology and ability.
    Corporate management thinks that shareholder value is the absolute most important above all else (including quality customer service).
    This is still a "good, ole boy company" and has not advanced along with 21st century ideologies; in other words, getting a corner office is more important than doing quality work and providing top-notch customer service.

Diversify your management in executive and in IT to bring in modern skills sets and abilities. In addition, the effort placed on "corporate diversity" is laughable at best, and actually borders on incompetent. I recommend bringing in a (proven) outside consulting firm to assist the company in learning how to move into the 21st century, and realize that energy based on coal is not the only path forward.