Black Hills Corporation

Black Hills Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO David R. Emery
David R. Emery

1. Great company, invests in its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my position I am trusted to be an expert at what I do. I have a lot of flexibility in my job because my manager trusts my decisions. Company has great benefits compared to other employers in my community. Leadership is open to new ideas and values input from employees.

Cons

Heavy workload. Company runs lean to avoid lay-offs, but it can put a heavy burden on employees

Advice to Management

Embrace a culture of trust. Share your vision for the future and let them help you get there.

2. A growing company with good people who want to make a positive difference in the communitities they work in.

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation

Pros

I believe there are lots of positives. Some of the highlights are great benefits, strong 401K match and company contribution, generous vacation, good salary level, and training. The company is very diversified which helps keep it stable through these tough times.

Cons

We all work hard here and cost cutting is always a priority...but I'd rather we be careful and frugal so we don't have layoffs or other negative surprises.

Advice to Management

Keep it up...you're on the right track. It would be nice to see and talk with you in person more often.

3. Well run small to mid sized utility with diverse lines of business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Black Hills Corporation

Pros

Well run at the Corporate level with good to excellent senior corporate management.
    Broad business diversity from smaller town utilities, coal & gas electrical generation, excellent construction and operational track record, and a diverse non-regulated energy, plus oil & gas division.
    The company is based out of Rapid City, SD with strong ethical and a genuine regard for employee development.

Cons

The oil & gas division is having a tough time these past couple of years. This is due in part to the commodity price declines, but also for relatively mediocre natural gas prone properties and operational effectiveness. Still, the broad diversity of business divisions have been helpful during past years.

Very forward thinking company with great people.

Pros

Benefits
    Career opportunities
    Pay
    Co-workers
    Stable company in stable industry

Cons

Old school mentality
    Shareholder/stock focus vs employee
    Good 'ole boy system that promotes the wrong people to mid-level leadership positions
    Absolutely no training outside of online courses by the company

Advice to Management

It's great to focus on diversity, profits, and innovation, however, it should not be at the expense of employees who want to be there. I loved working for the company but the company costs itself dearly in failing to keep employees and having to train new ones with unrealistic expectations for some of the new employees, thus costing itself more costs and time in the long-run.

6. Great Environment in Denver

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 schedule, nice people to work with, potential to learn a lot if you're outspoken about what you want to achieve

Cons

Pay for E&P is below average, smaller company so there's not much room for upward movement, not a lot of promotions.

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to keep those really good employees. They train everyone well and then employees tend to leave for better pay.

7. All in all a good place to work

I worked at Black Hills Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, mission, vision, values

Cons

Work life balance is not easy to attain, not many varied positions

8. A committed team of professionals who strive to meet the needs of their stakeholders.

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company works at a fast pace and provides a lot of learning opportunity for someone who is curious and is willing to ask questions. Challenges to improve your skills and provide value to the company come often.

Cons

Most of us are still figuring out how to adapt to significant changes in systems and processes; but we'll get there. Bureaucracy and a hierarchical structure can lead to frustration and unnecessary steps.

9. Growing and diverse operations keep things interesting.

I worked at Black Hills Corporation

Pros

Many opportunities...for those willing to pursue them.

Cons

Hmmm...nothing significant other than continuing to mature structure as growth continues.

Advice to Management

Nothing to share here...

10. Not a mature company

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time

Pros

Very friendly co-workers in general. Nice flexibility for things that have to happen during a work day.

Cons

Poor pay, mediocre benefits, management makes extremely short sighted decisions based on short term profit. Company constantly spews anti-environmental propaganda to employees and attempts to get them to lobby politicians on their behalf. Meaningless "goals" set by management that have nothing to do with actual productivity or work but directly affect pay and bonuses.

Advice to Management

You have the opportunity to be at the forefront of cleaning up the energy industry but you intentionally fight to continue polluting as much as you can get away with, try to do better.

Stop making short sighted decisions for the company to increase your profits and start making long term decisions that make the company more efficient and functional.

11. It is a ok company but has lots of politics

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time

Pros

A big utility with good benefits.

Cons

A lot of entrenched employees have power over other newer employees and can be vengeful.

Advice to Management

Individually the managers are great but overall the management culture can be improved.