Black Hills Corporation

Black Hills Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO David R. Emery

David R. Emery

Great Environment in Denver

Denver, CO

Pros9/80 schedule, nice people to work with, potential to learn a lot if you're outspoken about what you want to achieve

ConsPay for E&P is below average, smaller company so there's not much room for upward movement, not a lot of promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo everything you can to keep those really good employees. They train everyone well and then employees tend to leave for better pay.

It is a ok company but has lots of politics

ProsA big utility with good benefits.

ConsA lot of entrenched employees have power over other newer employees and can be vengeful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividually the managers are great but overall the management culture can be improved.

Sophomore leadership

ProsOne of the VPs stated that a trained monkey could do most jobs. So, it’s a great place to work for trained monkeys. Your opinion during meetings is also very important. It helps management determine how best to throw you under the bus.

ConsGod forbid you ask for time off while paid as salary. Family illness including cancer is not acceptable, because it’s not been planned. Improvement surveys only help point out the employees to be ostracized and ridiculed. HR will sincerely ask opinions and if you answer, the punishment really starts.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior leadership; lose the VPs and Managers that act like sophomores and take some leadership classes yourself. The mirror you look into is the reflection of the failure within this company. Your degree does not make you a leader; it only shows that you can blend with the other sophomores.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good job, not a career opportunity

ProsDependent on your manager, can be a good flexible schedule for work/life balance, steady reliable company, good health benefits.

ConsRaises are essentially cost of living-not a noticeable increase, promotions are few and far between, and generally only occur if someone leaves the company. Compensation is at the low-end for industry peers. Management is cliquish. Have heard of at least 4 initiatives to explore diversity and women's opportunities at the company but have never seen anything come out of it.

Big Talk, Little (if any) Follow through

ProsGood matching (401K), Nice people (co workers), Ok benefits and descent salary (for the mid-west)

ConsUpper management is always looking out for the shareholders first and foremost. They talk a good game about better working conditions, safety etc... but when it comes down to putting out the $ its not so important then. I feel this company is one good cost cut away from a major safety issue or disaster.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some employees, get up to date with technology and systems. Get a better IT department and fund them to bring us into the 21st century, make an effort to talk to and understand lower managements needs and employees needs, we do a good job for you.

All in all a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation, benefits, mission, vision, values

ConsWork life balance is not easy to attain, not many varied positions

A committed team of professionals who strive to meet the needs of their stakeholders.

ProsThis company works at a fast pace and provides a lot of learning opportunity for someone who is curious and is willing to ask questions. Challenges to improve your skills and provide value to the company come often.

ConsMost of us are still figuring out how to adapt to significant changes in systems and processes; but we'll get there. Bureaucracy and a hierarchical structure can lead to frustration and unnecessary steps.

Lack of management experience and to many middle managers

Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits including health, vision, dental, and bonus

ConsThere is no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPoliticis based, not performace based

Neutral

ProsCompetent middle management...good opportunities for leadership development....

ConsSeems to be significant disconnect from top to bottom...given size of company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe cautious of sacrificing customer service for the bottom line...

A growing company with good people who want to make a positive difference in the communitities they work in.

Rapid City, SD

ProsI believe there are lots of positives. Some of the highlights are great benefits, strong 401K match and company contribution, generous vacation, good salary level, and training. The company is very diversified which helps keep it stable through these tough times.

ConsWe all work hard here and cost cutting is always a priority...but I'd rather we be careful and frugal so we don't have layoffs or other negative surprises.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up...you're on the right track. It would be nice to see and talk with you in person more often.

Worked for Black Hills Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black Hills Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Black Hills Corporation CEO David R. Emery. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Black Hills Corporation employees.