Black & Decker Reviews

Reset
3.3
Black & Decker Chairman and CEO John F. Lundgren
John F. Lundgren

Pros
  • Great company culture with a "work hard, play hard" mentality (in 4 reviews)

• great company, benefits, and advancement opps, company culture (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • When sales are down people lose jobs quickly because of public company mentality and shareholder returns (in 3 reviews)

• Stanley operates as a type of private equity company (in 4 reviews)

1. Great leadership and vision.

Current Employee - Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

free parking, grounds are beautifully maintained, low level employees very cohesive

Cons

salary structure-many veteran employees have side jobs because they no longer can live on their salary

Advice to Management

The sr.mgmt directives are watered down or ignored by the time they reach director and sr. mgr level. Too many layers means the good old boys spend all their time staging appearances to appease sr.mgmt. Great fear in making these statements after seeing reprisals suffered by others.

2. Great place to work if you're a guy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Good work life balance, good benefits, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Definite gender discrimination, opportunities for advancement are highly dependent on who you end up working for. Company tends to overhire during good times and then go through several rounds of layoffs, salary freezes, etc. during bad times. No documentation of processes so everyone has to find information as if things had never been done before.

Advice to Management

Reduce some of the middle management levels- too many layers. Increase communication and communicate to all staff at once. Do not filter information down the ranks.

3. Poor leaderShip, Highly politcal. Only promote their favourites.

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

You dont need to work. Just be good with your manager. You get promoted

Cons

No focus on business. You dont need to know the products

Advice to Management

Very poor leader ship.

Office Space

Current Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Decent, although not industry leading, benefits. Great employee discounts. There is opportunity for career advancement, however, the top is thick with a good ol' boys network. The future for the company is going to be heavily international so new division positions are a strong possibility. People who are willing to live off-shore for a period may find advantages in their career progression.

Cons

Top down management & HR red-tape rules regardless of the circumstance. Very frugal company to the extreme especially after the housing market collapse. The cost of living is fast out-pacing the company's willingness to adjust wages appropriately.

Advice to Management

One word: Morale

6. Black & Decker offers employment with limited opportunities

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black & Decker offers some opportunities to advance in the work place if you have the right credentials and know the right people to advance within the organization. Black & Decker has it's own type of university to help those understand the philosophy of the company.

Cons

There isn't a lot of communication between departments and the direction of he company is confusing. Black & Decker Corporate does not understand the mfg sector of its business and makes decisions based on that belief.

Advice to Management

You are only as good as the people who put you in that position

7. Ok workplace

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

A good company to have on your resume and allows you to learn a lot in a short period at time due to the large number of different tools they create.

Cons

The pay is bad and they tend to over work the employees. The company has many managers but not many people to do the real work. The company has layed off people every year that I have worked with the company even when we had record breaking years. Project groups are very small and they expect projects to be completed in the same amount of time as other projects that had twice as many people.

Advice to Management

The company needs to let people go that are not good workers instead of pushing them from group to group till you can get rid of them on a layoff.

8. black and decker claims to have the best and the most talented employees,but i feel like i work for kmart

Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

job security in the product service group

Cons

inferior pay,lack of performance bonuses,no programs for counter people to earn incentives no matter how much they bring to the table

Advice to Management

stop being selfish,just because you make good salaries& have programs that only make you even more money.from the fruit of your workers labor,does not make you a good manager,only that you are good at control.

9. All about the Name of the brand..not quality or substance.

Former Employee - Manager in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Towson, MD

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

The brand name looks good. .

Cons

BDK is only worried about brand name and recognition not quality anymore. I reviewed their quality and warrenties program...Let's just say we dont' buy BDK household items..made in China - need I say more

Advice to Management

Retain your people. Train your people - I had no training in 2+ years that I could use for continuing education requirements. I had to pay out of pocket for my certification requirements in my department. They will pay for certifications but not the $100s needed to get quality training. As a result I see many barely qualified people (Cheap salary) who can't really do a spectacular job. Nothing against the individuals..they work hard and they do the best they can. A little support in training and helping people get timely mentoring and right project experience would help a lot.

10. Why work here?

Current Employee - Engineer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Generally nice people, fun products to develop and use, nice location

Cons

Low pay, lack of confidence of managers in new talent, some people need Master's or higher to promote while other persons with no degrees get promoted, unequitable performance reviews, lousy HR attitude toward employees

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing.

11. Chaotic, reactive, poor internal disciplines, finger pointing environment

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

When you put Black & Decker on your resume it gets respect and attention. It is widely considered a blue-chip company. In lower positions, olike channel manager, you will have an opportunity to learn the ropes-- good training.

Cons

In terms of work environment, I understand that in the last couple of years it has improved but the turnover at the top has been a turnstyle-- incredible velocity of new players--none groomed for the job. Especially true in marketing, a highly-fractured department.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. I need to write 20 words here and I guess the only thing I can say is that "Black & Decker management" is something of an oxymoron.

RSS Feed </> Embed