Black & Decker Reviews

Updated May 21, 2014

3.3

Black & Decker Chairman, President, and CEO Nolan D. Archibald
Nolan D. Archibald

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - allows for time off when needed, no questions asked (in 6 reviews)

• Great company culture with a "work hard, play hard" mentality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of layers of middle to upper management in continuous motion and restructuring create constant chaos and little confidence within the ranks below (in 3 reviews)

• Stanley operates as a type of private equity company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work/life balance and great professional experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

Good work/life balance - people are highly flexible given that you get your job done
    Good Benefits - medical/dental etc are fairly comprehensive
    You will gain applicable and highly relevant experience in the consumer products industry
    Brand name that will be recognized
    People - great team environment

Cons

Lower compensation when compared to similar jobs elsewhere
    HR policies are not as progressive as they could be

Be more progressive in HR policies
    Investment into your people via compensation will make hiring more competitive.

Resume builder...

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black and Decker was a great place to work in a good economy. Management was very supportive. Highly suggested in a good economy.

Cons

Very relient on a four year degree and less about the background and compitence of the employee. Very low pay.

Listen to your employees. Empower them and COMMUNICATE!! Do what you say and say what you do. Do not hide when times get tough.

All about the Name of the brand..not quality or substance.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Towson, MD

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

The brand name looks good. .

Cons

BDK is only worried about brand name and recognition not quality anymore. I reviewed their quality and warrenties program...Let's just say we dont' buy BDK household items..made in China - need I say more

Retain your people. Train your people - I had no training in 2+ years that I could use for continuing education requirements. I had to pay out of pocket for my certification requirements in my department. They will pay for certifications but not the $100s needed to get quality training. As a result I see many barely qualified people (Cheap salary) who can't really do a spectacular job. Nothing against the individuals..they work hard and they do the best they can. A little support in training and helping people get timely mentoring and right project experience would help a lot.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work and Progress

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Great people, great place to work, numbers driven, continuous sense of achievement when you beat our competitors, you have to wait a little bit but soon or later you get promoted if you do a good job. Opportunity to create and innovate. Your ideas are always heard and management like employees to participate in important decisions. The fact that I have to travel a lot makes my job more exciting. The company gives you the opportunity to visit different markets, different cultures and learn from them. We become a truly global organization where managers have lots of responsibilities and are important for the company. In addition, the company is well known everywhere.

Cons

Salaries are just on the media, and sometimes below Best in Class companies.

Increase salaries according to best in class companies.

Not sure of the future of Black and Decker.

Current Employee - Senior Electronics Technician  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black and Decker provides for flexible hours and has good immediate management. If you are in school they offer tuition reimbursement, but recently they have announced that there would be cut backs regarding this. They have an open door policy, meaning that you can meet with anyone in management, if you need to. There is a cafeteria on site, which is convenient. Depending on the group that you work with, you may be able to take home a couple of tools. There is a company store that has discounted prices, and they often have sales. Black and Decker is a very large company, and provides a decent level of job security.

Cons

The trending of wages at the company has been stagnated for many of the employees, and there was a recent pay cut throughout the company. This pay cut also included the suspension of the company match, which was 6% on every $0.50 invested. ~3% if you contribute more than 6% of your wages. Management is trying to rush everything to market, with the end result being lowered quality and recalls. Black and Decker lost $16M due to a switch recall, and they lost much more than that with the VPX platform. They need to do the homework to determine if a product is going to meet the needs of the end user, and they need to quit outsourcing critical components.

Stop worrying about the share holders. The 100M that they receive as dividends would be better invested into the company. Let the engineering team do the engineering work, instead of pushing to get incomplete projects out the door.

Communication, Communication, Communication!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

The corportate culture at Black & Decker is truly great, the flexibility of your schedule if you are working out in the field and the independence you receive on a daily basis encourages motivation and integrity. Black & Decker is good at creating a balance between work and life. If you need the time off or have a family emergency they will almost always give you the time you need. If you have to work weekends for events etc. they will give you a day off (no one ever takes it though too much to do!) Great benefits as well!

Cons

There isn't alot of communication from Senior Management about the goals or challenges that we are facing. In this tough economy I'd like to know why they are making the decisions they are and how it will affect B&D in the future. Hince how it will effcect the employees and customers based on their decisions. I've been working for B&D since college now with Highly Commendable Reviews and have seen a $6,000 increase in my base salary. For my experience and my performance I could be making more $$ in other companies. It doesn't mean I would be happier there though!

Communication, Communication, Communication!

black and decker claims to have the best and the most talented employees,but i feel like i work for kmart

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

job security in the product service group

Cons

inferior pay,lack of performance bonuses,no programs for counter people to earn incentives no matter how much they
    bring to the table

stop being selfish,just because you make good salaries& have programs that only make you even more money.from the fruit of your workers labor,does not make you a good manager,only that you are good at control.

The beatings will continue until morale improves... all hail our respected leader Nolan!

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Great initial experience and training is given during the first few years, specially for the people within the Development Programs in Engineering, Manufacturing Management, Finance, and Supply Chain Development programs.

I would say Black and Decker is an outstanding first job. There are new things to learn continuously form very experienced and savvy engineers that have developed all kinds of tools throughout the years. You never seem to stop learning something new due to continuous challenges.

The day to day is very comfortable as the great majority of the employees from low level to middle management are very open and friendly. Work schedule is somewhat flexible and people are rarely micromanaged, which is definitively a plus.

Access to all kinds of power tools is also a great perk if you are a hands on person (as most of the employees are).

Most of the employees work very hard out of pride and solid work ethics regardless of the poor recognition (or lack thereof) from management in the form of awards/bonuses/promotions/salary increases.

Cons

Lots of promises made by management that rarely have time to come true given the never ending magical chairs game that is played from director level up. People don't seem to stay leading a department long enough to come through with promotion promises. When new management arrives, they implement their new personal plan and don't come through with previously scheduled plans. Very horizontal structure at lower levels makes promotions difficult.

Lots of layers of middle to upper management in continuous motion and restructuring create constant chaos and little confidence within the ranks below. The same people are always at the top, regardless of poor performance or track record, they just keep getting shuffled around to other groups/divisions, particularly if they are part of the 'good old boys club'.

Performance reviews are a joke, since certain departments have specific directions to never give employees the highest attainable ranking in performance, regardless of whether the reviews of peers and managers call for it. The difference between doing a decent 9-5 job and killing yourself working 50-60 hour weeks and doing an outstanding job for a whole year is only represented by a 0.5% increase in salary, therefore creating a lot of "I'm not going to go the extra mile for this company" attitude.

The engineering and manufacturing development programs are blatantly sold as a path to faster growth within the company if people are willing to sell their lives to Black and Decker for two full years for a lower starting salary. When the two years are over and people have been sent all over the world for ridiculously difficult assignments on a moments notice, their salaries are brought to just be "in par" with new starting level hires, and they are considered to have "zero" years of experience when it comes to applying for promotions, therefore making the two years not only a waste but almost a scam as far as career and salary advancement are concerned.

There is constant low morale within the company due to salary and spending freezes for all low level employees as well as the now almost routine lay-offs, yet upper management and everybody else all the way up to the CEO get enormous bonuses in the millions of dollars.

How about instead of having to lay-off thousands of people world wide and freezing the salaries of the lucky employees that get to keep their jobs... senior management take some responsibility for their poor leadership and freeze their own salaries in solidarity with the rest of the company instead of giving themselves bonuses and raises (which seem to be larger every year).

They continuously speak of shared responsibility and a sense of team during communication meetings, but they seem to forget the the compensation for the board of directors and CEO are of public record and everybody know they don't care as long as they keep giving each other more money.

A great place to grow as a young professional if you can overlook money for experience.

Current Employee - Field Sales
    Current Employee - Field Sales

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black & Decker provides you with some great experience in sales, especially at an introductory level. They allow you some freedom to route yourself, and go about your day to day functions as you see fit. The opportunity for upward movement is available, but only if you have a four year degree. Additionally, they have a great training program in place, referred to as Black & Decker University, to teach fundamentals in the sales process, etc. They have a great program for benefits, and a solid 401K program as well. Additionally, most of the employees are very friendly, from the bottom to the top.

Cons

The downside of working for Black & Decker has to be the low end starting salary. I think they compensate for the great experience they offer you initially by underpaying employees. I think they see a lot of attrition within their young employees due to the desire of their most motiviated recruits to make more money. Very few of the sales jobs offer bonuses or commission, and thus saps enthusiasm from sales reps.

Additionally, the communication could be more transparent. The last-minute information they often give you takes away from your sense of ownership and leadership in your territory, as often you feel that you are the last one to be advised of policy or objective changes. In a way, Black & Decker does a great job in providing you with experience, but never makes you feel like a well-respected business mind.

I think the management just needs to do a better job in making sure the lower level associates feel appreciated and respected in a consistent way.

Long term career only if you know the right people.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Reading, PA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Good for polishing your resume, good brand to associate with a marketing backgound.

Cons

The senior leadership is out of touch with the marketplace and drinking the kool aid. Have to be a part of the "club" if you're looking to advance your career. you will only get somewhere within the company if you work in the Lake Forest office and know the right people. If you're good at politics and don't mind that being the method for advancement you would do well with this organization. If you want to be reward for good work, keep looking elsewhere as it rarely happens here.

Learn the market, taking someone's word for it and actually understanding it are two different things.

Worked for Black & Decker? Contribute to the Community!