Black & Decker

Updated December 5, 2014
3.3

Black & Decker Chairman, President, and CEO Nolan D. Archibald
Nolan D. Archibald

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - allows for time off when needed, no questions asked (in 6 reviews)

• Great company culture with a "work hard, play hard" mentality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When sales are down people lose jobs quickly because of public company mentality and shareholder returns (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of layers of middle to upper management in continuous motion and restructuring create constant chaos and little confidence within the ranks below (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to grow as a young professional if you can overlook money for experience.

Current Employee - Field Sales
    Current Employee - Field Sales

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black & Decker provides you with some great experience in sales, especially at an introductory level. They allow you some freedom to route yourself, and go about your day to day functions as you see fit. The opportunity for upward movement is available, but only if you have a four year degree. Additionally, they have a great training program in place, referred to as Black & Decker University, to teach fundamentals in the sales process, etc. They have a great program for benefits, and a solid 401K program as well. Additionally, most of the employees are very friendly, from the bottom to the top.

Cons

The downside of working for Black & Decker has to be the low end starting salary. I think they compensate for the great experience they offer you initially by underpaying employees. I think they see a lot of attrition within their young employees due to the desire of their most motiviated recruits to make more money. Very few of the sales jobs offer bonuses or commission, and thus saps enthusiasm from sales reps.

Additionally, the communication could be more transparent. The last-minute information they often give you takes away from your sense of ownership and leadership in your territory, as often you feel that you are the last one to be advised of policy or objective changes. In a way, Black & Decker does a great job in providing you with experience, but never makes you feel like a well-respected business mind.

I think the management just needs to do a better job in making sure the lower level associates feel appreciated and respected in a consistent way.

Long term career only if you know the right people.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Reading, PA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Good for polishing your resume, good brand to associate with a marketing backgound.

Cons

The senior leadership is out of touch with the marketplace and drinking the kool aid. Have to be a part of the "club" if you're looking to advance your career. you will only get somewhere within the company if you work in the Lake Forest office and know the right people. If you're good at politics and don't mind that being the method for advancement you would do well with this organization. If you want to be reward for good work, keep looking elsewhere as it rarely happens here.

Learn the market, taking someone's word for it and actually understanding it are two different things.

Ok workplace

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

A good company to have on your resume and allows you to learn a lot in a short period at time due to the large number of different tools they create.

Cons

The pay is bad and they tend to over work the employees. The company has many managers but not many people to do the real work. The company has layed off people every year that I have worked with the company even when we had record breaking years. Project groups are very small and they expect projects to be completed in the same amount of time as other projects that had twice as many people.

The company needs to let people go that are not good workers instead of pushing them from group to group till you can get rid of them on a layoff.

Great place to work if you're a guy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Good work life balance, good benefits, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Definite gender discrimination, opportunities for advancement are highly dependent on who you end up working for. Company tends to overhire during good times and then go through several rounds of layoffs, salary freezes, etc. during bad times. No documentation of processes so everyone has to find information as if things had never been done before.

Reduce some of the middle management levels- too many layers. Increase communication and communicate to all staff at once. Do not filter information down the ranks.

Could be worse places to work.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Very young, driven staff who are mostly a lot of fun. It is a well-known brand and it is agreat to have such a resepcted name on your resume. Of course, getting quick access to all the power tools and other products we make is a great perk, especially when you need to do some projects around the house and garden and have everything you need at your disposal.
      Great training is provided early in your career (sales skills, negotiations, financial training, power tools product knowledge), but that training decreases after the first few years in sales or marketing.

Very autonomous- great place for go-getters!

Cons

Very much full of tight cliques. If you aren't "in" with the right people, your promotion opportunities are limited. There is not a great deal of openess to new ideas, and while we often start out with big ideas, we are a very risk-averse company, which means that we end up taking the path of least resistance. We talk about "swinging for the fences," but often chicken out no any big media spend or aggressive new projects.

The pay is okay, supposedly near the high end of the hardware industry, though it is definitely lacking relative to other consumer products companies.

Need change! Seriously, give us a stronger vision to help us determine how we will win in the marketplace, strategically diversify our business portfolio and channels of distribution.

Would also be nice to have senior management show a more public view to both the employees and the business community as a whole. It is very inspriing to see your CEO on the cover of Fortune or Forbes, talking about the strategic options that lie ahead. We just don't see that with current management.

Black & Decker offers employment with limited opportunities

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black & Decker offers some opportunities to advance in the work place if you have the right credentials and know the right people to advance within the organization. Black & Decker has it's own type of university to help those understand the philosophy of the company.

Cons

There isn't a lot of communication between departments and the direction of he company is confusing. Black & Decker Corporate does not understand the mfg sector of its business and makes decisions based on that belief.

You are only as good as the people who put you in that position

Great leadership and vision.

Current Employee - Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

free parking, grounds are beautifully maintained, low level employees very cohesive

Cons

salary structure-many veteran employees have side jobs because they no longer can live on their salary

The sr.mgmt directives are watered down or ignored by the time they reach director and sr. mgr level. Too many layers means the good old boys spend all their time staging appearances to appease sr.mgmt. Great fear in making these statements after seeing reprisals suffered by others.

Office Space

Current Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Decent, although not industry leading, benefits. Great employee discounts. There is opportunity for career advancement, however, the top is thick with a good ol' boys network. The future for the company is going to be heavily international so new division positions are a strong possibility. People who are willing to live off-shore for a period may find advantages in their career progression.

Cons

Top down management & HR red-tape rules regardless of the circumstance. Very frugal company to the extreme especially after the housing market collapse. The cost of living is fast out-pacing the company's willingness to adjust wages appropriately.

One word: Morale

Great Company, Exceptional management

I worked at Black & Decker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great action oriented company with a high calibre management team. They develop their people and remunerate well. I only have positive things to say about them

Cons

Having spent 13 years there I really only have good thoughts and experiences of the company

Fun company to work for when sales are up....but

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

Great product, great people, lots of brand recognition