Black & Decker Reviews

Updated May 21, 2014
3.3

Black & Decker Chairman, President, and CEO Nolan D. Archibald
Nolan D. Archibald

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - allows for time off when needed, no questions asked (in 6 reviews)

• Great company culture with a "work hard, play hard" mentality (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of layers of middle to upper management in continuous motion and restructuring create constant chaos and little confidence within the ranks below (in 3 reviews)

• Stanley operates as a type of private equity company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok workplace

Current Employee - Senior Designer  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

A good company to have on your resume and allows you to learn a lot in a short period at time due to the large number of different tools they create.

Cons

The pay is bad and they tend to over work the employees. The company has many managers but not many people to do the real work. The company has layed off people every year that I have worked with the company even when we had record breaking years. Project groups are very small and they expect projects to be completed in the same amount of time as other projects that had twice as many people.

The company needs to let people go that are not good workers instead of pushing them from group to group till you can get rid of them on a layoff.

Great place to work if you're a guy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Good work life balance, good benefits, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Definite gender discrimination, opportunities for advancement are highly dependent on who you end up working for. Company tends to overhire during good times and then go through several rounds of layoffs, salary freezes, etc. during bad times. No documentation of processes so everyone has to find information as if things had never been done before.

Reduce some of the middle management levels- too many layers. Increase communication and communicate to all staff at once. Do not filter information down the ranks.

Could be worse places to work.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Very young, driven staff who are mostly a lot of fun. It is a well-known brand and it is agreat to have such a resepcted name on your resume. Of course, getting quick access to all the power tools and other products we make is a great perk, especially when you need to do some projects around the house and garden and have everything you need at your disposal.
      Great training is provided early in your career (sales skills, negotiations, financial training, power tools product knowledge), but that training decreases after the first few years in sales or marketing.

Very autonomous- great place for go-getters!

Cons

Very much full of tight cliques. If you aren't "in" with the right people, your promotion opportunities are limited. There is not a great deal of openess to new ideas, and while we often start out with big ideas, we are a very risk-averse company, which means that we end up taking the path of least resistance. We talk about "swinging for the fences," but often chicken out no any big media spend or aggressive new projects.

The pay is okay, supposedly near the high end of the hardware industry, though it is definitely lacking relative to other consumer products companies.

Need change! Seriously, give us a stronger vision to help us determine how we will win in the marketplace, strategically diversify our business portfolio and channels of distribution.

Would also be nice to have senior management show a more public view to both the employees and the business community as a whole. It is very inspriing to see your CEO on the cover of Fortune or Forbes, talking about the strategic options that lie ahead. We just don't see that with current management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Black & Decker offers employment with limited opportunities

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Black & Decker offers some opportunities to advance in the work place if you have the right credentials and know the right people to advance within the organization. Black & Decker has it's own type of university to help those understand the philosophy of the company.

Cons

There isn't a lot of communication between departments and the direction of he company is confusing. Black & Decker Corporate does not understand the mfg sector of its business and makes decisions based on that belief.

You are only as good as the people who put you in that position

Great leadership and vision.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

free parking, grounds are beautifully maintained, low level employees very cohesive

Cons

salary structure-many veteran employees have side jobs because they no longer can live on their salary

The sr.mgmt directives are watered down or ignored by the time they reach director and sr. mgr level. Too many layers means the good old boys spend all their time staging appearances to appease sr.mgmt. Great fear in making these statements after seeing reprisals suffered by others.

Office Space

Current Employee - Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Decent, although not industry leading, benefits. Great employee discounts. There is opportunity for career advancement, however, the top is thick with a good ol' boys network. The future for the company is going to be heavily international so new division positions are a strong possibility. People who are willing to live off-shore for a period may find advantages in their career progression.

Cons

Top down management & HR red-tape rules regardless of the circumstance. Very frugal company to the extreme especially after the housing market collapse. The cost of living is fast out-pacing the company's willingness to adjust wages appropriately.

One word: Morale

A people company with great people

Former Employee - Hrd  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Hrd in London, England (UK)

I worked at Black & Decker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Les Ireland provided strong positive leadership : both working 'hands on' and sharing his own experiences as he worked within B & D, as well as providing the right level of leadership and gravitas and a person people aspired to become in their own careers.
    People led with their hearts not just their heads which brought results to another level : the commitment and enthusiasm was infectious, the can do attitude and going the extra mile was a happy norm.

Cons

May be needed a bit more process to capture some of the excellence and skills that employees had to give and make some of the results driven work repeatable through simple processes.
    Potentially a bit more research into competitors and commercial USPs of others would have made a very good company great.
    The US could have looked a bit more to some of the progressive initiatives being drivin in both Latin America and EMEA, then I think the market downturn would have not had such an impact.

Share 'best practice' across the globe : it doesn't just work regionally 80% of some extremely robust and commercially rich initiatives would have really driven profit, expanded catagories and driven sales.

Giant in he industry

Current Employee - Publishing & Design Manager  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Publishing & Design Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Black & Decker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment and professionalism of everyone.

Cons

Long hours (afterhours unpaid) and weekends unpaid.

More incentives for hard workers...

Formerly a good company that's seen decline since the housing market crashed.

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

-Paid internship is great for college kids; they made school a priority over work.
    -Mostly friendly people.

Cons

-Mismanaged IT department means a lot of young talent leaves after internships/a few years of employment, creating a huge demographic gap of two groups: new/short-timers, and people who have worked there for decades.

Create incentives for your younger talent to stay.

Good company

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Black & Decker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

B&D provides good advancement opportunities for individuals that show a strong performance. They provide a great career that exposes employees to different roles in the organization in a sort period of time.

Cons

Black and decker is notorious for not having a competive pay structure. They are challenged with forming new roles and then cutting the role when the business climate changes.

Worked for Black & Decker? Contribute to the Community!