Black & Veatch

www.bv.com

Black & Veatch Reviews in Cerritos, CA

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 8 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsThere were some really good people that worked there whom dedicated many, many hours to build a client base and grow the wireless division at the California office. The large company, stability, and employee incentives attracted a lot of talent.

ConsThe headquarters in Kansas did not understand the strict and complicated California permitting requirements, which lead to severe inefficiency for the local office to meet and exceed deadlines, causing substantially more work for staff whom were already overworked. In addition the Los Angeles office practiced extreme favoritism which eventually lead to many talented people leaving the company as they had no upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the local offices to implement region specific and industry specific processes and requirements instead of a blanket standard process which create unnecessary work that staff will have to address which takes time and energy away from their jobs and production. As for the favoritism in the Los Angeles office, they know about it so they obviously made a decision not to do anything about it.

Company as a whole has such a great reputation. Cerritos telecommunications office really ruins that reputation.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsNot many pros. Got a work laptop on my first day, but that is pretty standard for all jobs nowadays.

Cons1. No training whatsoever. Promised an sop in order to become acquainted with the terminology and processes. Never received sop.
    2. Supervisor is not helpful and does not want anyone to grow intellectually. When asked for more work, she/he will not delegate any work to me and instead treats me as if I am uneducated and slow.
    3. 8 out of the 9 hours I am here, I have nothing to do.
    4. Whole office is extremely unprofessional. I hear swearing and racial remarks on a daily basis.
    5. Very uneducated office. From the people I have met, they have no desire to further themselves in their career or education.
    6. Have talked to several people in the office who have similar feelings to mine.
    7. Very poorly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more acquainted with what is going on in the office. A majority of employees, including myself are frustrated with how the office is being run.

Telecommunications

Manager (Former Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsGreat local team with a lot of industry experience. They hire great local people.

ConsSite Development and Construction teams are separate and do not work together well. The company encourages this dysfunctional setup. Most strategic decisions are made in corporate office in Kansas City. There is almost no telecommunications experience in Kansas City and this is obvious to the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the local offices better, they are the ones in front of the customer. The purpose of this business is support of the customer not support of the corporate office.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!