Black & Veatch

www.bv.com

Black & Veatch Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster(in 8 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management(in 8 reviews)

Short term.

ProsTraining is available and there are people to ask questions to.

ConsSlow work environment so there isn't much of a challenge.

Black & Veatch is a great company to work for

ProsCompetitive compensation, great benefits, challenging work, diverse opportunities, global presence, involvement in numerous markets, financially solid

ConsThe company has a strong culture that is somewhat risk averse and, as a result, resistant to significant change in business practices

It was great, just had a bad relationship with my direct manager.

Project Controls Associate (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsInternational travel and good pay

ConsKansas management is not in touch with satellite office issues and tend to ignore them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees when they complain about an abusive manager.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to get you foot in the door, you'll definatly learn something here; good or bad

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAlways something to do, new technology implementation always needed without enough time to get it done within a 40hr week.

Cons1. Corporate BS allows for here say business and blame to take place vs consideration of employee response.
    2. beyond demanding time-lines

Advice to Senior Managementgreat benefuts, paid time-off;

Good experience with Black & Veatch

Quality Manager (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsDiverse workforce, flexible schedule and growth potential is absolute

ConsWith a diverse workforce comes diverse personalities. The only time that this causes a problem is if your boss doesn't care for yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your real agenda, so your staff may support you better.

Variety of work is high and I work with highly skilled professionals.

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsVariety of work, possibility of working in a variety of locations around the world.

ConsWorkload is greatly variable during a typical year.

Telecom has no rudder

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally a good company infrastructure for an engineering firm.

ConsTelecom, at least the Turf project, is actually run by the field organization. The central leadership does not have the industry background nor management ability to rein in the Turf Directors. Penny wise and pound foolish. Not strategic (no, not really).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe in charge. If you think something sounds wrong or fishy, it is. Don't make your judgments on how well a turf is doing by how much money it brings in, judge it by how much it promised it would bring in vs what it does. The opportunity cost of allowing free rein to the Turf Directors is about 40% again of what they bring in.

Poor human resource management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are appropriate.

ConsInternal barriers are fatal to human resources management.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange.

Overall, a good company to work for.

Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsVery financially healthy and highly respected engineering consulting firm. Local office culture and work environment in Central Florida is a good one to work in. Local management is respectful to its employees.

ConsCorporate management is out of touch with individuals in the branch offices. Training opportunities and implementation are sub-par at best for those working outside of the corporate offices. Unfortunately, this company is in the habit of laying off many of its senior employees. They are more concerned with the bottom line that their employees well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult with local office management to get a true idea of the value and contribution of is senior employees, instead of allowing the bean counters to cull the workforce by simply chopping off their higher paid intellectual talent.

Very Good Learning Experience

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Prosget to learn the technical prospects in power systems

ConsRather than it is a good learning experience you get paid very less.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!