Black & Veatch

Black & Veatch Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Steve Edwards

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Variety of work is high and I work with highly skilled professionals.

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

ProsVariety of work, possibility of working in a variety of locations around the world.

ConsWorkload is greatly variable during a typical year.

Review for Expeditor

Expeditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA very enjoyable work experience

ConsDifficult sometimes to obtain pertinent information

The Institution

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place to work if your in IT or an engineer....only

ConsIt's referred for years/decades as the Institution for a reason. They encourage you to think "out side the box" but DON'T YOU DARE! Walk the line like everyone else does and smile. Horrible place to work if you have a brain and decide to use it. A good place to start and have on your resume but don't stay too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace change, it's NOT a bad thing.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overall my 10 years of employment with B&V has been very.... Unfulfilling!

Field Construction Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat benfits in regard to insurance, sick leave, holiday pay ect. Lots of Vendor Discounts i.e. FORD Motor Co. X-Plan, AT&T celluare service discount, ect.and good on-line training resources

Consthere is a very proinent culture of "social inequality" in regard to the professioinals who have college educations and how they interact with the professionals that do not have degrees.
the pay is only so-so, with management unwilling to "bridge the gaps" on most subject. the upper management have a very take it or leave it attitude.

Advice to Senior Managementexamine ALL things in the light of truth and expeerienced based reasoning, instead of making decisions from positions of misinformed information, incorrect facts and/or personal bias, as upper management you should hold yourself to a higher standard and never judge professionals from a view of corprate politicies.

Cheap People, Harassment, bullying

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros9/80 work schedule, free coffee once a year (yeah), peanuts in increment (so generous)

ConsI worked for this company for over 4 years as Electrical Power Delivery Engineer, Energy Division. All went well until new department manager took over the office. The company policy encourages diversity, visa sponsorship etc. However, this manager just taking advantage of his position harrases employees on their visa requirement. Employees are bulleyed, refused opportunities etc. Something shocking to see in this industry. Hope the HR / Management takes some action if they want to see the department to grow. This is just a word of caution to those who need visa sponsorship. There are tonnes of companies sponsoring the visa. Do not spoil your future in this department. This company has no projects lined up except some feed projects. Please be careful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and take action against such people if you need to see your company to grow.

Black & Veatch

Civil Engineer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRoom to move between divisions, travel, and great training.

ConsCan get stuck in one place if you aren't proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove HR practices.

Financially, mentally, and socially supportive

Water Leadership (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Black & Veatch as an intern for more than a year

ProsPaid well
Great benefits
Daily challenges
Plenty of room for growth

ConsHave to bid to get other divisions projects

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know entry levels on a personal level

Professional culture not employee-friendly.

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFair physical office environment, nice peers

ConsLow pay, money-hungry middle management

Black & Veatch a good place to work.

Estimator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros9-80 work schedule, reasonable workloads, diverse project opportunities, great benefits. Also many different geographic locations. Great patience to teach young proffessionals. Decent pay, low degree of backstabbing, and open communication. Great HR support, good industry reputation

ConsPoor morale, too much "dead wood" in many positions creating lack of motivation. Company is too cheap. Even trying to get a stapler can be a challenge. Always claim to lose money. Loe emphasis on emerging markets and technologies, aging office buildings with depressing grey cubicle structure. LAck of company peks and teambuilding activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart clearing out the non productive positions to increase profitability.

Proud, successful and good, but not (yet) the best.

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch

ProsThe opportunities, the scale of the company and the projects and the chance to push yourself as had as you want. Black & Veatch is truly a global company, and the opportunities to travel, to work in different fields and to work on huge, difficult projects are there, if you want them. There is also (unfortunately) too much opportunity to just warm a seat, to the detriment of the whole organization. Overall, better than any organization of a comparable size and scale that I have seen, but not yet all the way to its potential, especially with regards to an understanding of how to match skills to the market.

ConsThe occasionally Byzantine nature of the politics and the difficulty in keeping focus on the essentials, are the worst elements. Like any organization full of ambitious people, there are occasional lapses into shameless careerism, to the detriment of the overall organization, and unfortunately too often rewarded. In addition, we seem to have strayed (occasionally) from the essential wisdom of the founders “Get, Work, Do Work, Make Money”. Perhaps a bit simplistic these days, but still a better focus on what we actually do than other attempts. A clearer match between strategy and the markets needs to be implemented, but that as for all comparable organizations is easier said than done.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the essentials, what is the market we are in, what will succeed and how to beat the competition. Lead to win, try not to worry about the feelings too much.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black & Veatch reviews and ratings in Kansas City, MO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Black & Veatch CEO Steve Edwards. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Black & Veatch employees.