Black & Veatch

www.bv.com

Black & Veatch Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 8 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
59 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not bad. Flexible work schedule

Mechanical Engineer II (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsFlexible Work Schedule, Development Opportunities, Travel Opportunities, Nice People

ConsVery Corporate, Ultra-conservative, Located in White Suburb

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen a satellite Office in downtown KCMO because Overland park is a terrible place to be stuck as a young professional.

Good experience with Black & Veatch

Quality Manager (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsDiverse workforce, flexible schedule and growth potential is absolute

ConsWith a diverse workforce comes diverse personalities. The only time that this causes a problem is if your boss doesn't care for yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your real agenda, so your staff may support you better.

Variety of work is high and I work with highly skilled professionals.

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsVariety of work, possibility of working in a variety of locations around the world.

ConsWorkload is greatly variable during a typical year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Competitive with Industry Standards... Mostly

Civil Engineer II (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsSome of the benefits.
    Flexibility of work hours.

ConsThe benefits are not consistent across the board for all job families. Even though B&V is employee owned, employee's are not eligible for the annual incentive plan (AIP) until they reach a certain job level, unlike the employee owned competition. Many job titles/levels have limited sick leave but others do not.
    Business casual work attire is ok, but it would be better if we were allowed to "dress for your day" so those who actually have meeting with management or clients can come in business wear as needed and those of us who never have higher level meetings can come to work and be comfortable.
    The technology, work station equipment, and everything else that should make your job easier is always behind.
    The Telecom division does not offer the 9/80 schedule and is slow to "roll over" their contract professionals to be core employees.
    Professionals are expected to provide their own PPE's that are required beyond a hard hat, ear plugs, a reflective vest, and basic safety glasses (i.e. boots and prescription safety glasses are your out-of-pocket responsibility).
    Employee-owned, but you only get the perks if you are at or above a certain job level.
    They are slow to adjust your job title when you reach experience milestones (like obtaining your P.E. license or after so many years on the job). Which in turn affects your eligibility for the AIP.
    The performance review process is a joke. You pick who you solicit feedback from, so of course everyone will pick friends who will give them a good review. Then, to top it off, no matter what anyone says about you or how well you do the work, it's virtually impossible to receive a "1" rating (out of 3). It's more about who you know. This makes it hard for people to want to be the best they can be since they will never be rewarded for their hard work at the end of the year. It's like B&V strives for being... mediocre.
    The Telecom division department heads do not allow uncompensated personal time unless there are extreme conditions and you have already used your vacation time, even if the work load at the time is slow.
    You are expected to train yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not say we are "competitive with industry standards" unless you are willing to back up that claim with specific examples about where we stand vs. what our competition offers.
    Show some goodwill and at least make a counter offer to the stellar employees who are leaving for other companies. We've lost several key team members who would have stayed if B&V had actually been "competitive with industry standards."
    Take the time and make resources available to actually invest in training both new and experienced professionals.

Review for Expeditor

Expeditor (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsA very enjoyable work experience

ConsDifficult sometimes to obtain pertinent information

The Institution

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood place to work if your in IT or an engineer....only

ConsIt's referred for years/decades as the Institution for a reason. They encourage you to think "out side the box" but DON'T YOU DARE! Walk the line like everyone else does and smile. Horrible place to work if you have a brain and decide to use it. A good place to start and have on your resume but don't stay too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace change, it's NOT a bad thing.

Great corporate multicultural work environment.

Senior Estimator/Construction Manager (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsBest diversified professional workforce in this global EPC corporation. Lots of opportunities for advancement.

ConsNo parking garage in HQ building.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the Oil, Gas & Chemicals department and pursue more EPC projects in the Gulf of Mexico market.

My experience with them was excellent.

Contract Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsExcellent company to work for with knowledgeable manager and supervisors in their field of expertise.

ConsDo not have any complaints.

Horrible company... run away as fast as you can

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsDecent health insurance. However, employees pay super high premium. spouse and a kid would cost you $600 a month for insurance

ConsI was with them for 5 years. It's a highly political organization with lots of good ol' boy network. They are stuck in the mindset of 50's and 60's. You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management. Your engineering or business skills won't get you anywhere with this company. Promotions are extremely rare and they are sneaky about promoting people. They do not make any announcements.... you find out you have a new boss 2 weeks after the new boss took over the position.

High turnover... as getting up to sr. level is almost impossible.. as they still have hundreds of former partners who are now no good directors and VPs.. in an organization with 8k people they have one thousand directors, and AVPs, and VPs... all of whom happen to be former partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen you mind.. it's not 1950's or 1960's .... you are loosing lots of talented employees for no good middle management.

overall my 10 years of employment with B&V has been very.... Unfulfilling!

Field Construction Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prosgreat benfits in regard to insurance, sick leave, holiday pay ect. Lots of Vendor Discounts i.e. FORD Motor Co. X-Plan, AT&T celluare service discount, ect.and good on-line training resources

Consthere is a very proinent culture of "social inequality" in regard to the professioinals who have college educations and how they interact with the professionals that do not have degrees.
    the pay is only so-so, with management unwilling to "bridge the gaps" on most subject. the upper management have a very take it or leave it attitude.

Advice to Senior Managementexamine ALL things in the light of truth and expeerienced based reasoning, instead of making decisions from positions of misinformed information, incorrect facts and/or personal bias, as upper management you should hold yourself to a higher standard and never judge professionals from a view of corprate politicies.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!