Black & Veatch Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• International travel and good pay (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V is a large company with a bureaucracy that can be difficult to navigate (in 10 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 9 reviews)

Sr Human Resources Associate

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Associate in Grandview, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Associate in Grandview, MO

I worked at Black & Veatch (More than 3 years)

Pros

Divisions and departments are broken down to very specific roles and duties. SMEs are easily located.

Cons

Very large company that is changing and wanting to double employment by 2020 with no additional HR Staffing.

Project Controls Lead

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid Engineering, Procurement and Construction Company with caring employees. Company continues to produce solid financial results. On boarding process and initial interaction is very good.

Cons

Company is behind the times with IT infrastructure and programming. This leads to inefficient production and engineering hours. Additional investment needed in this area.

Advice to Management

A lot of capital is also spent on "dog and pony" type programs that most employee's see as no additional value added. Improvement in annual review process needed.

B&V in CA

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Great benefits. Fast-paced environmental that still allows for plenty of work life balance. Good ability to move around within the company. Good potential for promotion within the company. Diverse work force with offices all over the world.

Cons

Office stability highly dependent on client relationships. Office in your area could close if the client withdraws the contract. Layered middle management.

Advice to Management

If an office does need to downsize or close, I would advise you to seek other opportunities for your workers to keep them in the company rather than letting them go.

Come Work Here! Contract Professionals Should Seek Other Options

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The best job for networking out there. For having 10,000 employees, you bump into a lot of people you know. You'll the ground running. I've worked on 5 different teams doing challenging work for over 10 clients in my first year alone. Diverse work. I was hired for work with Smart Grid technology, spent 7 months on loan to an electric vehicle group, and I'm currently working on a hydroelectric plant. I've already done work design, research, and (mostly) electric utility coordination. Management listens to you! Career aspirations, projects you’d like to work on, and all is in confidence. Everyone has a mentor. This was great for me, having just graduated colege. Competitive pay, benefits, and vacation. Flexible schedules, including the 9/80. Employee-owned. Example: You choose which projects interest you. My mentor asked me my interests during my first week – electric vehicles was my answer. Three months later, I was participating in daily conference calls with a senior program manager from Tesla Motors. How? I was given a project-length transfer to a new division, meant to develop skills in an area of interest.

Cons

Many of the Pros and benefits don't apply to contract employees. Org charts are very different between divisions. All are functional, but it's legitimately confusing when switching.

Advice to Management

Have a recruiting presence at more colleges! I was very surprised on my first day – most of my team members graduated from University of Missouri – Kansas City. However, nobody in my K-State graduating class could tell you what Black and Veatch does (past, “umm, consulting I think”). A competing firm, with much less to offer a new hire received all the attention. They advertised constantly throughout my time at K-State. Black and Veatch had little to no presence. Also, please chase sustainable growth. There's a lot of bad press that comes from a big layoff of contract professionals. The other thing I heard from classmates is “they tend to hire and fire a lot”. As an employee, I’m excited about where Black and Veatch is headed as a company. Let’s please stir up the same excitement with some good press.

6. Engineering Document Associate

Pros

Good opportunities for job advancement within the company. Opportunities to work overtime if you choose.

Cons

Can often times be very demanding and stressful. Pay is more on the conservative side.

7. Full Time

Current Employee - Civil Engineer 6
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer 6

Pros

Great variety of challenging projects and growth opportunity for a young engineer. Opportunities to work on international projects.

Cons

Conservative company culture and sub par working environment compared to other firms.

8. Electrical Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I had a great time at B&V. The pay was good and they offered free housing at a nearby complex. You learn so much applicable information during work that you almost wonder what school is for. If you get employed, a lot of travel opportunities can open up too.

Cons

I felt like it would be a lot more fun if I could get out of the office and see what was being designed/built in the field, but since you work on projects all over the country that doesn't always work out. Also you start in a cubicle, but that is normal for most employers.

Advice to Management

The intern program was great. I had a great time on various tours around facilities B&V designed. Tour guides and mentors go along and give fantastic insight on why something was designed the way it was.

9. Solid company expanding internationally

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and has been growing a lot recently. Plenty of internal opportunities and lots or new hire opportunities for new grads. Promote from within and good vertical movement opportunities as senior engineers are moving towards retirement.

Cons

More international work and moving more work to international offices. Difficult to transition to sharing work internationally. Different divisions invest in different software and technologies and O&G in particular is still using lots of software that has been out of date for 15+years.

Advice to Management

Invest in tools that help professionals do their job more effectively. Provide training budget and resources for new employees instead of only a day worth of videos and OJT from then on with all hours billed to projects.

10. Senior Site Acquisition Specialist - Permitting Specialist

Former Contractor - Senior Site Acquisition Lead
    Former Contractor - Senior Site Acquisition Lead

I worked at Black & Veatch as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Top Telecom Engineering Firm in the World, large corporate support structure, organized, motivated, driven to grow and improve, flexibility, many opportunities, very intelligent skilled workforce. Training though disjointed.

Cons

The large corporate culture also has the typical downside; professional classism or hierarchy, uber power HR depart, although friendly. layers of management, 25 e-mails to produce a quantified decision.

11. Assistant

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time

Pros

Great location and good benefits

Cons

Salaries are below the norm

RSS Feed </> Embed