Black & Veatch

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.6

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance along with a vast array of training resources that complement your job development (in 13 reviews)

• Good Pay, Good benefits, some nice coworkers, very nice office building (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 10 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best...no loyalty.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Opportunities for advancement/relocation.

Cons

Office politics. Poor management decisions, inexperienced supervisors.

Terrible

Former Employee - BDM in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - BDM in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Promise of high pay and benefits

Cons

I ha a one-year contract that was cancelled without cause after one month. Empty promises

Keep your word.

Company as a whole has such a great reputation. Cerritos telecommunications office really ruins that reputation.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many pros. Got a work laptop on my first day, but that is pretty standard for all jobs nowadays.

Cons

1. No training whatsoever. Promised an sop in order to become acquainted with the terminology and processes. Never received sop.
    2. Supervisor is not helpful and does not want anyone to grow intellectually. When asked for more work, she/he will not delegate any work to me and instead treats me as if I am uneducated and slow.
    3. 8 out of the 9 hours I am here, I have nothing to do.
    4. Whole office is extremely unprofessional. I hear swearing and racial remarks on a daily basis.
    5. Very uneducated office. From the people I have met, they have no desire to further themselves in their career or education.
    6. Have talked to several people in the office who have similar feelings to mine.
    7. Very poorly managed.

Get more acquainted with what is going on in the office. A majority of employees, including myself are frustrated with how the office is being run.

Poor human resource management.

I worked at Black & Veatch

Pros

Salary and benefits are appropriate.

Cons

Internal barriers are fatal to human resources management.

Change.

Professional Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting and working with other decent engineers. Even crappy companies seem to have good folks working for them, but the morale at my Maryland office, the Virginia office and at the home office is like being at a funeral. Rank & file professionals are ok - but leadership management is the worst I've seen in 17 years of working.

Cons

No vision; No professionalism; No fairness; No future. Basically, you have to beg and really brown nose to advance (and that takes years), but it's who you know and kiss up to in senior management - not what you know. The leadership of the Federal Division is horrible and unprofessional across the board. They make it very clear they only care about a small core of butt-kissing "yes men and yes women". The senior business development staff think they run everything, yet they can't seem to bring in work, and are entirely clueless - the worst people I have ever been associated with. Plenty of back stabbing and blame to go around. Most people hate the company within 6 months. Once I get another job, I'm outta here for good. B&V completely sucks!

Resign

Horrible company... run away as fast as you can

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance. However, employees pay super high premium. spouse and a kid would cost you $600 a month for insurance

Cons

I was with them for 5 years. It's a highly political organization with lots of good ol' boy network. They are stuck in the mindset of 50's and 60's. You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management. Your engineering or business skills won't get you anywhere with this company. Promotions are extremely rare and they are sneaky about promoting people. They do not make any announcements.... you find out you have a new boss 2 weeks after the new boss took over the position.

High turnover... as getting up to sr. level is almost impossible.. as they still have hundreds of former partners who are now no good directors and VPs.. in an organization with 8k people they have one thousand directors, and AVPs, and VPs... all of whom happen to be former partners.

Open you mind.. it's not 1950's or 1960's .... you are loosing lots of talented employees for no good middle management.

Lack of Professionalism and Procedures; Iron Fist, Rude Management

Former Employee - Telecom
    Former Employee - Telecom

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free parking and that's about it.

Cons

Lacking in procedures & very poor training methodologies (little that is written or well written); top management very rude and some exhibit quite childlike and unprofessional behaviors; mostly (not all) unfriendly and unhelpful employees, some of whom were very annoying through constant inappropriate, nonsensical laughing and horseplay (joined in by middle manager); highly political atmosphere...who you know not what you know or do, will trump all else. Long-term employees who would agree with above and don't like what is going on won't speak up.

See "Cons" and address the issues!

Worst Job Ever!

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There aren't any Pros to working at B&V. The job, office environment/culture, and clerical administrative assignments will stunt your career as an engineer.

Cons

Cronyism, manipulative, back stabbers, clicks, aggressive, very bad office culture, egomaniacs, zero training, HR turns a blind eye, top management is negligent and clueless.

Learn to be decent and respectful to those who work hard to support lead engineers and engineering managers. Company preaches living quality behaviors and values yet does nothing about the bad employees in the company who create misery in the office. Company and phony supervisors should be reported to the board of engineers.

Telecom is a political mess full of complete incompetence

Former Employee - Business Administrative Position in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Administrative Position in San Diego, CA

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay, Good benefits, some nice coworkers, very nice office building

Cons

"Managers" (using that term very loosely) don't care about their employees. All they do is kiss butt above them. It is not what you know or how dedicated of an employee you are it is who you know and what crowd you belong to hang out with in the office. The culture of backstabbing is encouraged by management. Just performing your job well is not enough. You must play the political game or you will be fired. Completely incompetent employees are kept because they are best buddies with managers while qualified, hard working professionals are routinely let go because they don't fit in with the high school mentality management crowd. Save your money because you will need it when you are let go because the in crowd just doesn't like you.

Your San Diego office is a complete political disaster run by people who have not advanced past high school mentality. Maybe if management was actually held accountable for the state of the office it might be better. Don't keep employees just because they are favorites of the managers and part of the "in crowd". There are employees who do NOTHING but socialize all day and stay employed because they are the "in crowd". I estimate you get maybe 5 hours of actual work out of 50% of the office staff. The other 50% carry the load for the favorites not working and pray they won't get fired.

Hire a business manager that at least knows how to use Excel. This statement alone should say all you need to know about how this office runs.

A revolving door.

Current Employee - Senior Project Technician in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Project Technician in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch (more than an year)

Pros

Great place if your right out of college and like to party!

Cons

Little or no training, make sure you know someone before you accept the job offer. If not its a sink or swim environment.

Staff gives there work to individuals with work ethics that will get the work done, that they do not want to do.