Black & Veatch

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
3.6

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance along with a vast array of training resources that complement your job development (in 13 reviews)

• B&V has good pay, a good bonus program and a good stock ownership program (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 10 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible

Former Employee - BDM in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - BDM in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Promise of high pay and benefits

Cons

I ha a one-year contract that was cancelled without cause after one month. Empty promises

Keep your word.

Intern at Black & Veatch

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Black & Veatch

Pros

Very friendly office atmosphere. Co-workers and engineers are all willing to help. Got to work on various projects.

Cons

As an intern, you don't get all the management level details and changes. But I assume that is true for most companies.

Awesome Work Environment

Former Employee - Administrative Assist
    Former Employee - Administrative Assist

I worked at Black & Veatch as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Fun job with lots of perks. Everyone got along really well and that made everything run smoothly. I really hated to leave.

Cons

Very ethnically diverse group (good thing) which sometimes make communication difficult. I truly have nothing negative to say about the Ca. office I worked at. However, I understand from former co-workers, that the Overland Park office was stiflingly depressing and the morale was very low.

At my old office, no advice. At Overland Park, treat your employees with respect and they will work that much harder. A happy employee is a productive employee.

Brilliant people, interesting projects

Former Employee - Renewable Energy Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Renewable Energy Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was very smart, competent and friendly. The company has good respect for work-life balance. Because many employees stay around for decades, they really care about your well being.

Cons

It's a big company and sometimes it's bureaucratic. Also, when I worked there you only got 10 days PTO + national holidays.

Listen to your younger employees to get a better sense for what they need in terms of compensation and growth opportunities.

opinion

I worked at Black & Veatch as a contractor

Pros

good pay for a contract employee

Cons

job not secure
    stressful work environment
    poor management
    no reward for hard work

Great Opportunity and great experience

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefit package for all employess

Cons

You do not get a lot of training

Good company with deep roots

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a motivated, self-starter and you work hard, you definitely get rewarded. There are really great opportunities if you're interested in working abroad and they're supportive of training and continuing education.

Cons

Overall benefits are good, but compensation isn't great. Some technology upgrades have occurred, but I think we have a long way to go to catch up with some of the more innovative companies.

Make sure to keep your finger on the pulse.

A great design engineering and construction firm!

Former Employee - A Former Division Director in Kansas City Suburban Acreage, MO

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

B&V is known *primarily* for its design engineering and construction services to the public utilities industries. It's an outstanding firm for anyone who wants to build a career in those *and related* industries.

There are many other career opportunities within B&V, but one *must* be mindful of the firm's primary focus and vector.

Cons

One must almost certainly have P. E. following one's name! Sans that, one must be braced to settle for a second best career.

Stay the course, as Mr. Veatch and his founding Partners did.

Company as a whole has such a great reputation. Cerritos telecommunications office really ruins that reputation.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many pros. Got a work laptop on my first day, but that is pretty standard for all jobs nowadays.

Cons

1. No training whatsoever. Promised an sop in order to become acquainted with the terminology and processes. Never received sop.
    2. Supervisor is not helpful and does not want anyone to grow intellectually. When asked for more work, she/he will not delegate any work to me and instead treats me as if I am uneducated and slow.
    3. 8 out of the 9 hours I am here, I have nothing to do.
    4. Whole office is extremely unprofessional. I hear swearing and racial remarks on a daily basis.
    5. Very uneducated office. From the people I have met, they have no desire to further themselves in their career or education.
    6. Have talked to several people in the office who have similar feelings to mine.
    7. Very poorly managed.

Get more acquainted with what is going on in the office. A majority of employees, including myself are frustrated with how the office is being run.

System Design Engineer

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rigor of the design process. As a young engineer the process develops quality engineers and lays a foundation for success. The firm also gives opportunities only afforded to those working at a top engineering design firm.

Cons

Lot's of employees limiting the career growth options. The raises are typical of any large firm - standard 3-4%.