BlackBerry Reviews

Reset
3.5
BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Pros
  • work-life balance is good in this company (in 80 reviews)

• relatively flexible working hours (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is limited with a BlackBerry tied to your hip (in 27 reviews)

• Senior Management has been changed frequently (in 37 reviews)

1. Great people

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

You get to work with great talents ; staff and managers provide a supportive network to work as a team; great environment to work at

Cons

Salary is not competitive, although there is a bonus structure that compensate for it; senior management could be lost on direction sometimes

2. FTS Automation Developer

Former Intern - FTS Automation Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - FTS Automation Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn and enhance your skill set with experienced software developers

Cons

frequent Layoffs for full time employees.

3. Blackberry

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

Great enthusiastic employees, great corporate culture

Cons

The company has been in restructuring for many years.

5. Great internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Kanata, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Kanata, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Good pay
    - Chance to interact with variety of departments

Cons

- Not too much mentorship from supervisor, but a lot of mentorship from fellow colleagues
    - A lot of training before starting to work

Advice to Management

Make sure there's interesting jobs for the interns before they get there

6. Best company to work for young professional

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at BlackBerry as a contractor

Pros

As a Young professional, you can learn lot of stuff by your own. there are lot of learning resources available .

Cons

If you are a young professional, they don't really give you a chance to learn different stuff. the reason for that is Most of the managers only care about their work at the end of the day.

7. Great first job

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry (More than 5 years)

Pros

BlackBerry was a great place to start my career after finishing school. It's fast paced and demanding, but you learn a lot along the way. I was fortunate to have a great team and managers as well.

Cons

The companies decline over the last several years was definitely a bit disheartening. And, with the companies focus always seeming to be in a constant state of flux, many projects seemed disorganized and without proper direction.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. I saw so much wasted effort on projects that were destined to go nowhere. It's really frustrating to see all your hard work never pay off.

8. Unstable Environment, Upper Management failures

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Facilities: The office I worked out of was clean, full of newer technology (yet sadly never filled to capacity)
    -Technology: We had access to reasonably powerful systems and as part of our role, were using laptops for business continuity. Comparing to my current role with another company, this is a much needed tool. Phone wise, well, you know BlackBerry.
    -Salary: I was well compensated for my experience with the product, and background.
    -Teammates: I worked with a bevy of smart, savvy folks who (for the most part) toed the company line during its decline and made coming to the office bearable.

Cons

-Tethered: The BlackBerry at your hip will be a constant reminder of your team's meager successes, but more frequently, company communications relating to corporate failures. If you can't find the way to disconnect from the office, you're going to be in trouble.
    -Opportunities: I was hard pressed to find a way up the ladder but when I did, I was stalled in the gates for months before management finally pulled the trigger. Frustrating position to be in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line customer facing folks when they offer suggestions from customers. You have people talking to your clients daily that know the trouble and wants of your dwindling market share yet you do not poll them for solutions, suggestions or anything of the like.

9. Worth sticking it out?

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

I have been at BlackBerry for a very long time (multiple years), and I have been able to further my career greatly during this time. Very supportive of career moves within the company, multiple opportunities for learning.

Cons

Very aggressive timelines on projects, no apparent concern of employee's burning out. Long hours, and expectation of working around the clock is apparent. The company used to be better.

Advice to Management

Good people are leaving due to some of the decisions being made. The message that all employees are expected to have the same dedication (i.e. working around the clock), as the executive team. Again, it used to be better, but now the message coming down is that leadership no longer cares about the "regular" employee any longer.

10. Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Business Development in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits still quite good for the region. While not as exciting as it used to be, there are still a lot of things happening to keep the right kind of person engaged.

Cons

The title says it.....not what it used to be. No surprise here but working at BB during the good times and in the lead up to BB10 was great. Everybody you spoke to outside the company wanted to hear what was next. There was always a sense of anticipation and excitement. The leadership had been there since the early days and the passion was evident. The current vibe is now at the other end of the spectrum. There is very little connection to the current leadership and passion is not evident. You may find a great role but the overall experience is that of just another place to work.

Advice to Management

Try to bring back some of the passion. If you are new to management, sit down with your people and ask them what can be done to capture some of the passion that used to exist. Not an easy task but worthwhile

11. Project Coordinator

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern

Pros

Got to work on important and relevant work. People were nice and in my group at least very flat, got to work above my paygrade.

Cons

Time of massive layoffs, people seemed more focused on keeping their jobs than on the success of the company. Activity seemed focused on products we knew weren't going to sell well.

Advice to Management

Concentrate effort on products that're the future of the company. Get layoffs done quickly like a band aid. Decrease red tape and simplify project rules.

Showing 797 of 1,310 reviews