BlackBerry

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

549 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Software Developer

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood reputation
Good benefit
A lot of resources(technologies) you can use/learn

ConsExtreme bad company culture
Managers are non-professional
No vision
Rude people/manager

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a wireless company, please hire more wireless professional instead of non-qualified people. Think big instead of bold. Be bold will only bring you to dead if you don't have a strategy.

Used to be a good company

Software Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe group that I worked with got along really well and worked cohesively as a team very well. The work was interesting and challenging.

ConsThe company has had some disastrous quarterly financial results over the past few years. They are still in the midst of reducing headcount by 40%. The place is just too unstable to seriously consider working there.

Less than satisfactory

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than a year

ProsGood colleagues in the same miserable boat

ConsHR - don't get me started.
Executive management - ever heard of fiefdoms?

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late now as the company has already tanked.

Software Support Specialist

Software (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat Pay package. One gets to learn a lot of new systems used in a development environment.

ConsRotten team lead and very bureaucratic organization. One needs to be great at playing politics to get along fine. Work ethics and domain knowledge does not matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a 90-10 principle. Only 10% people do the job. Rest 90% bask in their glory and take credit for it. Team leads are no exception.

Get out fast!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of smart people. Lots of motivated people. Lots of loyal people.

ConsSame old group of boys club that runs the company, with little real world experience and tunnel vision that is running company into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have new CEO, hopefully he sees the problems and changes the sr/middle management. Needs to be done ASAP before we run out of money.

Great Place to Work... NOT!

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone. If I could rate it zero I would.

ConsThese "Great Place To Work" reviews seem very phony to me; absolutely ridiculous! How can anyone say it's a great place to work when no one knows who will be laid-off next? A complete mess created by "yes" people in mis-management. I could see this train wreck coming a mile off.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement created a toxic atmosphere of non-respect and extreme backstabbing. The Execs consistently looked they other way. It was a Machiavellian work environment until it finally destroyed them. Absolutely no "team" philosophy here. Work you 24/7 and constantly crapped on by management.

Below par CEO = bankrupt company

Director of Manufacturing (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCurrently none. Was a great place to work 4-5 years ago.

ConsExtremely short sighted board of directors brought in a sub par CEO whose claim to fame was the "turnround" of a small division within Seimens which was ultimately sold off at a loss. The company needed an innovative leader instead of this German moron to turn things around or better yet should have sold itself to Microsoft or Google before each bought Nokia and Motorola respectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying a private jet for $20 million amidst record losses and be a laughing stock. Fire the CEO w/o golden parachute. Sell the company asap to someone who has money and resources to turn this zombie around.

n/a

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry

Prosinnovative, small company feel. some work place are nice

Constoo politic. family members work together in a same team! people with different qualifications.

It's disappointing company

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

Prospay is ok, good enough for survive

Consthis is a place full of messy, no one really can focus on work

Advice to Senior Managementchange them all

Run while you can

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBlackBerry used to be a company that you could look forward working for as part of a career, as well as a place you could look forward to coming in every day. The industry is competitive, and if you're the techie type, there's plenty to be involved in that would help satiate your thirst for technological innovation - even if it's not the product (BlackBerry/ smartphone itself), you'll be working with other technologies and vendors that are cutting edge in their respective industries.

ConsFirst things first - we've been under non-stop threat of layoffs for over two years now. There was a brief sojourn back in January 2013 when BB10 was finally released, and everyone thought things would be looking up. thiat respite lasted all of three months, now its back to the same old psychological stress of, 'will I be here next month/ is there any long term benefit to this project when my resources might be pulled from under me'.

Speaking of projects - you'll have plenty that start off, but it seems that few ever get finished. It's not unheard of to have relatively minor projects (with no tools/ systems to implement, or products to create) that can easily take 8-12 months to complete. And that's assuming you still have the Sponsor's attention through it all - regularly, a new shiny project will come along and your SMEs will get pulled to wok on the new shiny project. So as a PM, you're basically running with a ship that's leaking on all sides, and trying to complete your project with a clever mixture of spit, duct tape, and glue.

Speaking of culture - the people are great as individuals and are no doubt very intelligent people, but as far as work habits go, there is much to be desired. For reference, refer to the commitment (or lack thereof) to projects. Additionally, you can hold meetings with other individuals who ostensibly are based out of the same building as you, book a meeting room for that precious face-to-face communication, yet the vast majority of people will always dial in/ use Webex. The pretext is that they're busy and need to 'multi-task' on their desk PC.

By itself, this habit is something that you can deal with, but when it leads to missed approvals, deliverables, and commitments (despite repeated written (email) and verbal (meeting/ phone call) reminders, you know the culture is in need of a serious, serious shake up.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe start trimming the fat at the upper layers of the company, rather than the people who actually do the work? Too many layers of management. Your middle management is incapable of decision making, and always seems to need to refer to the next level up. I shouldnt have to go 3-4 levels up the org hierarchy to get agreement on basic project deliverables.

Also - in terms of cost optimization - Thorsten makes more in about one hour than the vast majority of employees make in a month. He could easily cut his salary in half, save the company $5 million/ year, and keep some valuable intellectual capital.

But the layoffs will continue, no matter how broken the organization's structure is. Alas, the stockholders must be appeased.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Be Bold. Be Passionate. Be Creative Be Bold is our philosophy. At BlackBerry, you can push the boundaries and you can rewrite the rules. Innovation is rewarded and you’ll know that the people you work with all share… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BlackBerry CEO John Chen. All 549 reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees.