BlackBerry

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

604 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Co-op Experience

Pros- Pay is decent, I guess it's considered high for co-op, but as a non-tech student, I only felt it was okay. I do not know how salary is determined, it doesn't seem like there is a fair calculation process. I've known engineering students with the same amount of credits to either have a salary significantly higher than me (I'm talking about $1000+ a month here), or a bit lower than me. Neither of them have previous work experience.
    - Hours coming to work and leaving work is flexible. You could come any time between 8-9, and leave between 4-5.
    - If you are lucky enough to have a good team lead / manager, then your work term will be fantastic. But if you're not, prepared to be worked to the bone on mediocre work
    - The new CEO, John Chen, is wonderful. Both humorous yet extremely motivating

Cons- You'll feel like a temporary, disposable being here. Training, even at zero cost, is not provided to students as BlackBerry prefers to train full-timers instead. Co-ops cannot take on, or even be a part of important projects. Only mediocre projects that doesn't affect the company whether they're done or not are given to co-ops.
    - Meaningless work is passed on to the co-ops as the full-timers just don't feel like doing it. 60% of my work comprised of cleaning up the storage room and help with shipments when that is nowhere near my job description. No one cares if you stay behind to do someone else's work, but they will care if the work is not done. Absolutely no appreciation whatsoever
    - Advancement is based on relationships rather than competence
    - Management will tell you they want you to enjoy your work term, and to tell them if you are not enjoying your work and they'll see what they can do. Well, DON'T. I did just that and got myself chewed out for not wanting to take on projects I am not enjoying.

In one sentence - unfulfilling.

Tester (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are good. If you find the right people there is potential to learn. Working hours are flexible.

ConsWorking from home is discouraged. Upper management is stifling lower workers with stupid rules and policies based on lack of trust. Salaries are NOT competitive despite what other reviews say - they mustn't know they're underpaid. No room for career growth unless you want to be a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trusting your employees before it's too late.

Lack of Direction

Systems Designer (Current Employee)

ProsGood Benefits and great talent

ConsBad Environment, no future direction

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease innovate or the company will continue its decline into the abyss
    Good technical and capable staff but its like everyone is being told to close their eyes and then follow the light

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great place to work

Wireless Protocol Specialist Co-op (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Prosgreat experience, variety of work, excellent test lab equipment, great exposure to wireless technologies, great team, tons of support when needed, independent projects given

Consrunning test cases take a long time, everyone is usually busy

Developer Intern for BlackBerry

Radio Software Developer, (Former Employee)
    Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros-Actually got to program on the product
    -Understand technology space
    -Work with motivated people
    -Paid well relative to other internships in Ontario

Cons-No obvious career path into management

Advice to Senior Management-Hire co-op students as they finish their internship like other tech companies do, or they'll leave to other tech companies

I had fun there

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of co-op friends there.

ConsWinter is so cood than i imagined

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more workers, trainning more for coops

Good and bad experience.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Prosgood benefits, good teammates, serve the community.

Conscompany is going through restructuring. Don't feel safe there.

Great opportunity to learn!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros- opportunity to be creative and learn
    - great co-workers
    - creative solutions
    - dedicated
    - great comp package

Cons- Volatility of organization
    - public spotlight

Fail to grow

HW Engineer (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGenerous pay and benefits. Great flexibility to work from home. Used to be a great place for HW engineers but not any more. The business is now SW oriented.

ConsIn the good days the company failed to recruit talented people and the results are showing now. With recent layoffs that affected mostly the doers not the talkers the company has a very heavy hierarchy with lots of managers, VPs etc.

Although the company states that knowledge sharing is important to their business and culture, the opposite is occurring. People do not want to share knowledge because they see knowledge as a source of power. The organizational and operational climate encourages or reinforces secrecy, not sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more open systems are to sharing ideas and spreading information and allowing those collisions to happen, the more likely that new good ideas and new innovations occur.

Career killer, but with potential.

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company provides comfortable working environment. It still has some great people left. Global company with many locations and "good" reputation.

ConsCareer killer. My carrier and professional networking slowed to a crawl. There is no hi-tech culture/ feeling in the company. The management did not have a good handle on what is going on in the company. Maybe it will change now.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. Develop them and keep them challenged. Improve your perks. Create a hi-tech culture.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Talent, Passion & Creativity At BlackBerry our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BlackBerry CEO John Chen. All 604 reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees.