BlackBerry

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

553 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Learning Experience

Software Testing Associate (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern for more than a year

ProsGet to learn about different tools and techniques of software QA
learned to communicate professionally
made a lot of contacts
awesome work life balance
extremely friendly colleagues

ConsLimited growth
Job does get tedious and boring (part of QA jobs)

Test automation developer

Software Test Automation Developer (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe team was pretty easy. No one forced anything on you. You can grab work and finish it in whatever time you want.

ConsNot much intereaction within team after work. Not much learning potential. At some point, it becomes like daily routine work.

Advice to Senior Managementshould host more events for everyone after work. Build up team environment.

Too many silos

Developer (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFast paced, high productivity, good experience and benefits

ConsOrganization is broken down into teams that compete with each other. Creates many conflicts and is not efficient when delivering a single product.

Tension between teams comes at a high cost. Working there requires a high stress tolerance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of teams.

Great place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRoom to make a difference for people with initiative, self-directed activities, and change to grow.

ConsIt's a large company that can operate like a series of loosely organized smaller companies, but not always in a good way.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued growth and evolution of the company, whilst finding ways to retain top talent.

Despite their flaws I really enjoyed working there.

Electronic Assembler (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt was an amazing place to work until they started downsizing. The people were great and made me look forward to coming in each day. They had great health benefits and they frequently renovated and repainted to make it an inviting atmosphere to work.

ConsThe major lack of internal communication was frustrating. There was a general lack of common sense. They were overly trusting of their employees which allowed for a lot of theft to happen. During my last few years it became almost impossible to move up within the company in any role.

Brutal to be here

I have been working at BlackBerry

ProsSalary, benefits, device. In that order. Oh and I hear the termination package is beyond fair. :/

ConsIn my group there was constant chatter well into the wee hours of the morning. This nasty habit has derailed people, teams, projects, and ultimately cluttered up the company to its current state. ZERO planning does not equate to being "agile". It's the exact opposite. There hasn't been a product roadmap for nearly two years for fundamental focus areas. There is no foundation left.

Culture or should I say the lack thereof. The atmosphere is negative. No inspiration to continue to do one's best in the face of chaos and ongoing layoffs. It's an unhappy place. It didn't always used to be but is now.

The workload is not spread evenly among the remaining teams which makes no sense to me whatsoever, it's as though this company just wants to curl up and die a slow death. The people that are left seem to just be wasting their time until it's their turn to get a package. Brutal.

Challenging and innovative

Software Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry as an intern for more than a year

ProsPersonal growth, flexible schedule, good pay

ConsInstability , long working hours, informal practices

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter HR communication

IT Warehouse Assistant, Consultant, Technician – A year contract

IT Warehouse Assistant, Consultant, Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI loved, and still do, working with people, computers, making sure all my customers were satisfied, that way, I got the satisfaction for myself as well. I love when something is broken and I fix it, it is a good feeling. :-)

ConsI love always learning new things, seeing/meeting/talking with new people, helps me think quicker, helps with communication and deal with people easier. The job I had was a year contract, so no benefits, no compensations either. I loved the challenge of the fast paced environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any, for my bosses were perfect, all of them I have worked with so far.

great people

Cloaking Enabled (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry part-time for more than a year

Prosexcellent the people are great and the support is always top notch. the perks are great and you get to learn some cool stuff and technology

Consdistance from my home is a challenge as i live in the gta. i would have loved to move to waterloo as it would make my commute much easier

Advice to Senior Managementaward based on merit

Associate\Analyst

Associate, BlackBerry Customer Technical Support (Former Employee)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome learning playground if you want to pursue a career in Messaging or MDM (BES\MS Exchange).

ConsYou have to be flexible and a quick learner on changing technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a uniform global approach to changing processes and not just per team level.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Be Bold. Be Passionate. Be Creative Be Bold is our philosophy. At BlackBerry, you can push the boundaries and you can rewrite the rules. Innovation is rewarded and you’ll know that the people you work with all share… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BlackBerry CEO John Chen. All 553 reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees.