BlackBerry

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.4 1,057 reviews

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

Pros
  • Great work life balance, standard benefits, good company name to have on your resume(in 69 reviews)

• Flexible working hours; Good employee benefit(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • While work life balance was preached a lot at BlackBerry it was never really very fair(in 25 reviews)

• Senior management is still looking for or defining the way back to glory(in 36 reviews)

1,057 Employee Reviews

Great place to work. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, salary and work culture. Chance to work with the best in the industry.

ConsSome of the employees in senior positions are "oldies" who don't have leadership quality but are there because they joined the company early on.

I had fun there

Software Developer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of co-op friends there.

ConsWinter is so cood than i imagined

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more workers, trainning more for coops

The Way of the Future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDefinitely feels like the most innovative company in the technology sector. Management is willing to listen to trends and be a pioneer. Free company phone!

ConsTOO innovative at times! I don't know, I just didn't feel like I could rest for much time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give me an iPhone for work purposes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, good product, lots of bureaucracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsExciting, fast paced and interesting place to work. The people are great, the employees are treated pretty well. Compensation is competitive and Waterloo is a good place to live. Very supportive of new ideas.

ConsLayoffs take a toll on employees and they are losing some great talent. Lots of Bureaucracy which hampers innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your great talent and let ideas come, don't get bogged down in the bureaucracy

Very Good

Automated Test Associate/Developer (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsEfficient, Flexible, Good Environment, Benefits are good

ConsNo work from home and not good food available at cafeteria

Amazing

Indirect Corporate Procurement (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe pace of the work environment was dynamic, fluid, Exciting, exhilrating.

ConsThe leadership, lacking vision, direction, and insight into the marketplace. Too many leaders contaminated the organization. Legal Division killed the business groups, tied their hands and stalled the business from getting to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementR&D needs to drive the company not Finance.

Loved Working For This Company

Enterprise Support Account Manager (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsI was employed as a Support Account manager and loved working for this fantastic company. Lots of travel (including Canada). Great product and a great team.

ConsLots and lots of emails and sometimes working unsociable hours because the HQ is based in Canada.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease turn this company around because this is the best and most secure smartphone out there.

Amazing

NOC Operator Intern (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsBlackberry offers a competitive salary and also encourages growth as a professional. They do not limit you to your role and you are welcome to liaise with various departments that may interest you and really enjoy the experience. Your managers tend to care about your career and will push you to try new things. Be it learn a new language to help on a project or simply just recommend something for you to read.

It has a fantastic intranet to with so many resources you can practically train yourself for a new role and apply internally. Be it an intern, or grad student, you are viewed as an equal by everyone. Your opinion matters and your ideas will always be listened too. Its so amazing to a point you forget you're an intern and the whole family feel of the company makes you love being there.

ConsConsumers aren't realizing how great our products are. You will spend time with people essentially looking down on you as Blackberry isnt considered "cool" anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks, be BOLD.

On the rebound

Platform Specialist (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsA great environment where employees are encouraged to take risks, and develop new technologies. Direction from management is typically "We need to accomplish this - figure out how to do it, do it, then report back to me". Independent thinking is encouraged.

Many great employees - smart, and good to work with.

ConsSome of the longer serving employees have a negative, defeatist attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage the employees - they have a lot of ideas to offer.

Keep up the good work - there's been a marked improvement since John Chen came aboard

great place to work

Blackberry Technical Support for Exchange Server (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

Prosgreat benefits and bonus and salary
    job training
    great work environment
    wonderful coworkers
    learning opportunity

Consnow the room to move up is limited as company is downsizing.
    some of the managers came from call centre background who are hardly able to cope up with corporate culture. Other than that upper management is pretty good .

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!