BlackBerry Reviews

Reset
3.4
BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Pros
  • work-life balance is good in this company (in 80 reviews)

• relatively flexible working hours (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is limited with a BlackBerry tied to your hip (in 27 reviews)

• Senior Management has been changed frequently (in 37 reviews)

1,177 Employee Reviews

1. good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

moderate workload. comfortable working environment, great people

Cons

big company where the voice from bottom doesn't get heard. too many layers of management get things complicated.

Advice to Management

stick with one or a few management tools, don't change around. make apply for approvals easier.

2. Good colleagues, incompetent management

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

Experienced and nice to work with colleagues, Pay package

Cons

Incompetent management with not enough far-sight in the industry. Late actions in fixing things. Confused management, changing course and direction of the company multiple times within a short frame of time.

Advice to Management

Think everything through properly before setting goals.

3. Software developer

Pros

Best place to work at.

Cons

Nothing really need to change.

Advice to Management

They can imporve their campus

5. BlackBerry, mixed emotions...

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

- good benefits package - good chances to explore current and leading technologies - great internal culture, great people - free smartphone for work and personal use - current CEO seems genuine and focused

Cons

- currently lots of restructuring, not great for morale - internal development / career paths not very structured / mature - HQ in Waterloo, close, but not close enough to Toronto - frequent changes in senior management

Advice to Management

- products need to be marketed a *lot* better - product direction needs to stop shifting - money is tight, but people still need to feel like they want to come to the office and work

6. Depressing

Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Back in the day, it was a fun place to work. Lots of excitement, cool technology.

Cons

Very depressing place to work. Total lack of management, C-Levels are nowhere to be found, cost-cutting all over the place, and a very dreary work environment. I'm very glad I left when I did.

Advice to Management

Show yourselves. You're invisible most of the time and then when you appear, it's to announce something incredible that in reality is demoralizing and further chipping away at what's left of the company.

7. review title

Pros

Nice environment. Good balance between the life and work. Flexible time schedule. Reasonable salary.

Cons

High workload. It is not very stable for now. And it is not easy to be promoted.

8. Sad to go!

Former Employee - Campus Recruiting Manager in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Campus Recruiting Manager in Sunrise, FL

Pros

Loved the autonomy that I was given and the ability to bring new ideas to the table and implement them.

Cons

Lacking stability for any HR roles.

9. Test developer

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

Helps diversify skill-set and offers overlap with many disciplines. Job is always interesting with a mix of project management and technical work.

Cons

Many grey zones in accountability cause confusion. Slow promotion due to the hardships the company is going through.

Advice to Management

Set hard guidelines for accountability on projects. Understand that employees are incurring a risk by working on a sinking ship.

10. Software developer

Pros

Very good work-life balance. Managers are very nice, but they know little about remote site.

Cons

Middle-level managers need to spend more time on people

Advice to Management

blackberry still has an edge on the security.

11. I wish I could see a way for them to recover, but sadly, I don't

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Vacation time -- everyone starts at either 3 or 4 weeks, depending on your job level, and you get an extra week after 5 years. Also the 3 days between Christmas and New Year's. - 5% RRSP match, Employee Purchase Program, free phone, discounted gym membership, flex benefits - I got a bonus every year I was there, and sometimes that bonus was pretty substantial - There are still some really good people to work with at the company - Generally pretty flexible about working hours - Apparently the salary is pretty competitive/better than other places When I started in 2008, it was an amazing place to work, I met some of the best people I've ever worked with, had tons of opportunity for training and professional development and I am very grateful for having had that opportunity.

Cons

- Sadly, morale is at an all time low, so it can be difficult to stay focused - It amazes me how after so many rounds of layoffs, there remain people at the company who are not only not contributing, they are actually making it harder for people doing real work to get their work done - Management (generally, director level and above) is very political (at least now, wasn't the case early on). They care more about how things look than how they really are. It was very demoralizing.

Advice to Management

I think it's probably too late to give any real advice, but I do wish that management would be more supportive of their team and stand behind them, rather than engaging in finger pointing when things go wrong.

Showing 1,177 of 1,375 reviews