BlackBerry

BlackBerry Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated Jul 21, 2014

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

Pros
  • Great work life balance, standard benefits, good company name to have on your resume(in 69 reviews)

• Flexible working hours; Good employee benefit(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • While work life balance was preached a lot at BlackBerry it was never really very fair(in 25 reviews)

• Senior management is still looking for or defining the way back to glory(in 36 reviews)

457 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worst career decision of my life - think very carefully before joining

Senior Individual to BE Undermined (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsSalary but even this doesn't cover the amount of mental abuse dished out by management
    You can keep your own working hours as management doesn't care

ConsSilo mentality
    Behind the device development curve of competitors
    Undermining constantly of employees and performace
    No interest in employee well being
    Old guard still in place there are some very decisive characters internally who need to be replaced
    Many HQ based employees have little or no international exposure
    Lofty and deluded management expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees
    Get rid of the old guard
    Devel products consumers want

Incompetent executive management

Supply Chain and Manufacturing Program Manager (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGood salary if you are not supposed to commute as I did for a while

ConsYou are to watch your back and play it smart moreover if you are part of a male group as they'll do what it takes to push you out. Stabbing is an art in this company

Advice to Senior Managementtoo late for advice, the boat just floats..

Good experience while it lasted.

Firmware Developer (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros- Very good compensation for the relatively cheap KW area.
    - Some of my co-workers were among the most competent/smartest people I've ever met. A few key departments still have truly world class engineering talent.
    - Very flexible working hours and hands off management style.

I was one of the victims of the layoffs, but the process was fairly respectful (if not somewhat drawn out). Severance package was pretty generous.

Cons- Employee morale/motivation is low
    - Dim prospects for the HW/SW teams on the device side of things
    - Legal department is slow and inefficient (even after multiple promises of reform)

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this point it might be a little too late for advice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Intern work experience

Firmware Developer (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros-Very Hands On
    -value growth of their coops/interns
    -treat you like a regular empoyeed

Cons-company not highly regarded as it once was

On the rebound

Platform Specialist (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsA great environment where employees are encouraged to take risks, and develop new technologies. Direction from management is typically "We need to accomplish this - figure out how to do it, do it, then report back to me". Independent thinking is encouraged.

Many great employees - smart, and good to work with.

ConsSome of the longer serving employees have a negative, defeatist attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage the employees - they have a lot of ideas to offer.

Keep up the good work - there's been a marked improvement since John Chen came aboard

Fail to grow

HW Engineer (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGenerous pay and benefits. Great flexibility to work from home. Used to be a great place for HW engineers but not any more. The business is now SW oriented.

ConsIn the good days the company failed to recruit talented people and the results are showing now. With recent layoffs that affected mostly the doers not the talkers the company has a very heavy hierarchy with lots of managers, VPs etc.

Although the company states that knowledge sharing is important to their business and culture, the opposite is occurring. People do not want to share knowledge because they see knowledge as a source of power. The organizational and operational climate encourages or reinforces secrecy, not sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more open systems are to sharing ideas and spreading information and allowing those collisions to happen, the more likely that new good ideas and new innovations occur.

Career killer, but with potential.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company provides comfortable working environment. It still has some great people left. Global company with many locations and "good" reputation.

ConsCareer killer. My carrier and professional networking slowed to a crawl. There is no hi-tech culture/ feeling in the company. The management did not have a good handle on what is going on in the company. Maybe it will change now.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. Develop them and keep them challenged. Improve your perks. Create a hi-tech culture.

Software Support Specialist (Co-op)

Software Support Specialist (Co-op) (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company to work for. Co-workers are great and extremely helpful. Has a good student community and weekly events to attend to.

ConsLots and lots of internal politics to deal with. Talent is rarely valued over sociable skills and favours for friends. Even if you can deal with all this, moving up the ladder is a very very long term process even for the best talents.

Hope BlackBerry can turn things around...

Administrative (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat people to work with; very dedicated staff. Company has done well in promoting a balance between work and family life. Benefits used to be excellent now just OK. This was a great place to work and very well could be again.

ConsIf you are not part of the software organization you likely should start looking for a job. Hardware is still being hit with layoffs, this creates a very stressful work environment. Ongoing layoffs for 2 years - should have been completed months ago. Far too many levels of executives - Directors > VPs > Senior VPs > Executive VPs > Presidents > CEO - this hierarchy is across the board - too many queen bees (with huge salaries and stock options) and not enough worker bees. This was problem before and unfortunately still is. Time-line expectations are not achievable when there is talk of more layoffs. Little to no appreciation or recognition for work that administrative staff do.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the hierarchy - all those levels of executives clog up the system, hamper decision making and cost the company millions of dollars.

Rewarding work but upper management leaves something to be desired

DSP Firmware Developer (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of interesting and challenging work. Surrounded by extremely smart colleagues. Flexible hours and able to work from home. Decent pay for the area.

ConsLots of inter-departmental silos and duplication of work. Future is uncertain. Management seems to be disconnected from reality and not aware of the internal issues and process failures.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!