BlackBerry

Updated Jul 3, 2014

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

449 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hope BlackBerry can turn things around...

Administrative (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat people to work with; very dedicated staff. Company has done well in promoting a balance between work and family life. Benefits used to be excellent now just OK. This was a great place to work and very well could be again.

ConsIf you are not part of the software organization you likely should start looking for a job. Hardware is still being hit with layoffs, this creates a very stressful work environment. Ongoing layoffs for 2 years - should have been completed months ago. Far too many levels of executives - Directors > VPs > Senior VPs > Executive VPs > Presidents > CEO - this hierarchy is across the board - too many queen bees (with huge salaries and stock options) and not enough worker bees. This was problem before and unfortunately still is. Time-line expectations are not achievable when there is talk of more layoffs. Little to no appreciation or recognition for work that administrative staff do.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the hierarchy - all those levels of executives clog up the system, hamper decision making and cost the company millions of dollars.

It wasn't horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's your standard large software company, nothing stands out about working at Blackberry. At least you'll have a recognized company on your resume.
    Switching between teams is possible if you want to do that. Not sure about upward mobility.

ConsTeams are fairly segregated, which can slow progress. The company has obviously lost a lot of market share. I was there when the lay-offs started, and was lucky enough to be on a team that wasn't really affected, but morale took a hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire more of the middle management, stop pointless re-org and dev stack changes, listen to the employees who dogfood your product

Rewarding work but upper management leaves something to be desired

DSP Firmware Developer (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of interesting and challenging work. Surrounded by extremely smart colleagues. Flexible hours and able to work from home. Decent pay for the area.

ConsLots of inter-departmental silos and duplication of work. Future is uncertain. Management seems to be disconnected from reality and not aware of the internal issues and process failures.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work with tons of very kind and intelligent people

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe wealth of knowledge and experience there to learn from is amazing. Not only did I meet and work with some of the smartest people in the industry, but they were always willing to share their knowledge with those around them.

Good pay, understand family work balance, flexible work hours when the need arises, etc.

ConsSome things were slow on the uptake, yet other things were painstakingly obviously needing quick changes to make it in the economic downturn that was taking shape. Straight from the top there was a lack of desire to make the changes that were necessary for the success of the business.

No career paths to enable employees to move to more challenging positions with better benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot enough marketing and advertising has been done for the products that are available.

Loved working with such pragmatic leaders.

Escalation Manager (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsIt was a great place to work with lots of room to grow and expand my career. Was very good to me as an employee.

ConsBlackBerry has certainly changed since I worked there. Such a difficult transition they've been through with the change in leadership and direction of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on work/life balance more for employees to prevent burn out.

Great ride while it lasted!

Midde Manager (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsTechnology allows you to be very flexible and accommodating to your team and customers. Work with great technology and people. Can often be provided opportunities that would likely not receive in other organizations that are global in nature. Pay is beyond excellent for Waterloo region. Colleagues are great - products are good.

ConsManagement is often out of touch with what customers want and need - both consumer and enterprise. There are way too many silos still to this day to be effective. Product no longer sells itself and consumers and business want more than just security. Training needs to be beefed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers and employees on the ground level.

Test automation developer

Software Test Automation Developer (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe team was pretty easy. No one forced anything on you. You can grab work and finish it in whatever time you want.

ConsNot much intereaction within team after work. Not much learning potential. At some point, it becomes like daily routine work.

Advice to Senior Managementshould host more events for everyone after work. Build up team environment.

Learning Experience

Software Testing Associate (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGet to learn about different tools and techniques of software QA
    learned to communicate professionally
    made a lot of contacts
    awesome work life balance
    extremely friendly colleagues

ConsLimited growth
    Job does get tedious and boring (part of QA jobs)

Not the same company it was a few years back

Embedded Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsPay is decent.
    Flexible work hours.
    Interesting work (in the right departments).

ConsHistory of poor senior level leadership and no accountability of such (jury still out on Mr. Chen).
    Many silos and inability to work together towards a common goal between teams.
    Too many people managing projects and not enough people working on them.

Good....but...

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsWork life balance and flexability. People understand that there is life outside the office and its imporant.

ConsLow morale, in desperate need of some good news. Any good news would be greatly appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the new CEO has the right ideas. Start small.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Talent, Passion & Creativity At BlackBerry our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry reviews and ratings in Toronto, ON — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BlackBerry CEO John Chen. All 449 reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees.