BlackBerry Reviews

Reset
3.6
BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Pros
  • work-life balance is good in this company (in 80 reviews)

• relatively flexible working hours (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is limited with a BlackBerry tied to your hip (in 27 reviews)

• Senior Management has been changed frequently (in 37 reviews)

Great Company

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

Pros

As someone who is in the earlier stages of their career, BlackBerry have surprised me with how well they have rewarded me in terms of compensation and benefits. I can only speak for my team, but we have a very relaxed culture and great work/life balance.

Cons

Negative perceptions from media/outsiders who still see BlackBerry as a phone company. Because of this I find some people do not take us seriously and this perception needs to change.

2. Undergraduate Placement Year - Software Developer Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern

Pros

Excellent salary for internship, great benefits such as 500 towards sports and gym membership, part of the blackberry partnership scheme meaning allowance to buy devices at cost price for friends and family, working on some exciting new products and technologies.

Cons

Company issues, redundancy 1 month before finishing due to company financials issues, not much transparency between management and employees, not much responsibility given. Not much team interaction.

Advice to Management

More transparency between employees and management.

3. Good company, cutting edge of technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent tech fast paced environment decent salary excellent benefits Professional environment

Cons

can be VERY intense and stressful at times

Advice to Management

still too much red tape.

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Decent salary for a entry level role looking to start their career. Good benefit scheme with pensions, private health care and private medical care. OK training and support.

Cons

Subdued atmosphere and not enough clarity on the job role. Can really see how the previous redundancy remains an issue in the company. I would not recommend BlackBerry as an employer, only to someone who is willing to allow their job to take over their personal life. The negative past of BlackBerry remains an issue.

Advice to Management

Be honest with expectations and restrictions on holidays from the onset to prepare staff for such an environment. Do not let history repeat itself, which I believe may happen if staff are unhappy and if the company is full of only veteran blackberry employees rather than introducing new and innovative staff who can bring something new to the company.

6. Great experience

Pros

I joined the company in the early days and there was an amazing camaraderie. Everyone was focussed on getting BlackBerry to as many people as possible

Cons

As the company got larger, team work fell by the wayside.

7. The Best Years of My Career - Didn't want it to End

Former Employee - NOC in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - NOC in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- NOC talent management was some of the best (before the final years of the EU branch being closed). 90% of promotions happened from within giving good motivation for people starting off in the lower ranks to work hard and be rewarded accordingly. - Regular one to one sessions with your team leader. You can discuss your plans and ambitions and the team leader will support them and give you every encouragement in the correct direction. - The team leaders, duty managers and NOC Management are technical in nature. As a result they understand our mindset, how we think, what makes us tick, and how to get the best out of all of their resources, regardless of the conditions. Even when times got tough in the company, the management worked tirelessly to defend the NOC's position. - Decent pay with very good rewards for working hard. - Very little politics to contend with. There are always politics in any place but here they were a lot less noticeable at my level - Access to Books 24x7 and training material - Team members really treat you as a member of their team - they will sit and help you through tasks and mentor you so that you can do it single handedly the next time around. - Shift work pattern in EU NOC was one of the best. Workdays were 3 types of 8 hour shifts, weekends were 2 types of 12 hour shifts. Every 4 week cycle of rotation there was a 9 day break. Have yet to see any other shift working pattern beat this. - The banked hours system gave you the advantage of flexibility with holidays - if you wanted to take a week off after your 9 day break, you could work during one of the previous 9 day breaks to build up your "banked hours" balance for your holiday. This however was a double edged sword as stated in the cons section. - The potential to learn a LOT. The vast array of different platforms and technologies that you will get your hands dirty with gives variety to every shift and also helps you decide where you want to take your career. Enter with an open mind.

Cons

- Shift work is not for everybody - lots of people often transitioned to 9-5 roles due to shift work related illnesses. Others have been in the game for over 7 years without any repercussions. Keep an eye on your health if you find yourself struggling with the shift work. - Apparently, the further towards the top you got, the more evident the politics. I can't confirm or deny this as I didn't make it that high up. - In the beginning, BlackBerry were free spenders - any training required was booked with very little hesitation. However once Thorsten was in charge, it became a cost cutting culture which put an end to all Training and other expenses. - The "banked hours" system of Holidays in the EU was very difficult to comprehend and it started off as a very "black box" culture. You would finish one year with a balance of say 30 hours owed to you to a balance of 20 hours that you need to work extra for them during the upcoming year. This caused upset until management eventually opened up and explained how the system worked. - The jury is still out with regards to the future of BlackBerry - the scaremongering amongst the press often causes a self fulfilling prophecy and this can be a turn off. The sheer amount of redundancies in the Slough Office in 2013 has caused a lot of alarm to investors and potential employees...

Advice to Management

BlackBerry may have lost ground to iPhone and Android owing to the complacency of previous CEOs, however there is potential to regain market share albeit in other areas. Once you guys infiltrate the new markets (i.e. Automobiles, MDM) keep firmly entrenched in them and stay ahead of the game always. Don't let history repeat itself, otherwise BlackBerry's presence in these markets will go the way of the mobile market - the unavoidable redundancies of such great talent is due in no small part to the mistakes of our previous CEOs. If it happens again, there will be very little staff left to let go...

8. Overall good experience apart from the downturn

I worked at BlackBerry (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working and good people.

Cons

Poor senior management and over thinking decisions.

Advice to Management

Sense the market better and listen to your employees.

BlackBerry has been a somewhat chaotic place to work in the past few years, but I've enjoyed the roller coaster ride.

Current Employee - Strategy Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible work life balance, great people, in a diverse environment, with good benefits

Cons

Unclear future direction and lack of communication from the leadership

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and offer more information about our future

10. Software Developer Intern at Blackberry

Former Intern - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Friendly and helpful colleagues. Benefits of a multinational company combined with experienced gained in a small office. Great pay for an internship. Courses offered for skill development; both paid training and online learning.

Cons

Office location is a bit too far away from Cambridge, not as convenient as other business parks in the area.

Leaver's view

Pros

Strong team interaction and spirit

Cons

Management very very very challenging

Advice to Management

Get real and be realistic

Showing 59 of 1,374 reviews