BlackBerry Reviews in Waterloo, ON

3.5
1,099 Reviews

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Pros
  • Great work life balance, standard benefits, good company name to have on your resume (in 70 reviews)

• Flexible working hours; Good employee benefit (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • While work life balance was preached a lot at BlackBerry it was never really very fair (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management is still looking for or defining the way back to glory (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

423 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good memory and experience at RIM/BlackBerry

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good culture, talent people and excellent salary and benefit.

Cons

Most of the employees were lost when the company experiencing restructure. There were not lots products under development and no clear direction the company would go.

Need top management's envision and strategic planning/deployment to save the company.

Loved my time at BB

Former Employee - ITIL Specialist  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - ITIL Specialist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, the atmosphere (pre-layoffs), the training, travel, learning

Cons

things got very stressful leading up to the layoffs in 2011 and 2012. It became a different company.

Get more involved in what your team members do. I don't mean micro manage, but show an interest. One of my directors had no clue what my entire team did. Thats not a great way to run a company.

I'm incredibly proud to say that I worked for BlackBerry!

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Highly talented engineers, dedicated project managers and gung-ho sales managers

Cons

Weighed down by very negative market perception

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience with BlackBerry as a company was great, although the team that I worked with was not a suitable fit for me

Current Employee - Software Engineering Associate  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Associate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly, especially management! I really appreciated and enjoyed the mentoring that came from my fellow co-workers on my team. I have a learned quite a lot while here.

Cons

There are more cons for me since working as a co-op is not the full experience. I didn't get extremely interesting work since I am just here temporary. I felt a bit segregated at time, so I hope that BlackBerry will revamp their co-op program to what it was around 2007.

Set up more activities for teams! Team building is a huge thing and if someone doesn't feel included in that team it makes them feel less appreciated and negatively affects their work.

Very good for career growing

Former Employee - Validation Manager  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Validation Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get hands-on experience in wireless industry

Cons

Personal grows is open for new engineers

More detailed reviews

Challenging technical work, good team

Former Employee - Java Software Developer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Java Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked for BlackBerry for almost seven years; had very interesting technical work, and my team mates were very solid, technical contributors. My boss would play some favouritism, but in general he tried to be fair and would give us opportunities as they would arise. Excellent work-life balance, where they would be times to do some intense work, and some times to go slower; combined with the opportunity to work from home one or two days a week and flexible hours, it was an excellent job.

Cons

Upper management didn't see Android coming until it was too late, and the response was not the best; however, they have been unfairly punished by the media, both in the US and in Canada.

Mr Chen is doing an excellent job, focusing on the corporate services, security, and expanding into the Internet of Things field. I am confident they will get better in two or three years.

Had many ups and downs throughout my tenure but overall a fantastic experience. Given the choice I'd work there again.

Former Employee - Team Lead  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The opportunity to work in a cutting edge, fast paced technology industry. The new corporate team really gives the feel that they know what they're doing and are guiding the company in the right direction for the first time in years.

You receive a corporate issue phone and are encouraged to participate in beta programs, truly giving you the feel that you provide input into upcoming products.

Cons

Growth within teams can be difficult as there is often a ceiling that gets hit. There is still somewhat of a silo'd culture, making it difficult for true collaboration amongst certain teams. Past grudges still inhibit work completion

Ensure that decisions are made consistently across the company and that employees feel that their voices are heard.

Director

Former Employee - Director  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company had some very fantastic people that were very loyal and motivated to succeed. The company paid very well and had very good benefits.

Cons

The downsizing over the last few years was definitely the worst part of the job. Seeing good friends let go and having to let very good employees go was not fun.

You need to keep talented people and in the current situation it is usually the most talented people that leave. Find ways to keep the talent in the organization.

Digital HW Designer

Former Employee - Digital HW Designer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Digital HW Designer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big company, clear process, clear work assignment, good product, good equipment, no big pressure, flexible working time, international company

Cons

low efficient, too many management layers, too many design centres in global which include hardware design, deliver product always delay, top leader no vision

management need clear organization and great vision

Good place if you can deal with uncertainty

Current Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brilliant people who are good to work with. New CEO seems amazing. Good products if they can only get sold. Great innovators and still one of the best Canadian high tech firms.

Cons

Total uncertainty. Directions unclear, layoffs are a way of life, and culture of fear has been hard to get past. Challenging industry and are likely to see the squeeze between fad products like IOS and inexpensive product from Asia. Market perception seems down and Sales/Marketing group seem unable to change that.

provide staff with better direction, give them a sense of job security, and let them fail fast with support to improve New CEO is good. Hang on to him

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!