BlackRock

BlackRock Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance(in 41 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm(in 58 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class(in 44 reviews)

Strongest leadership team on Wall Street

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart people managing the firm -- many of which are founders of the firm
    Highly ethical organization
    Lots of room for career advancement if you work hard

ConsCan be long hours but fairly compensated for them

Exp

ProsGreat place to work and one of the finest experience.

ConsTo aggressive and need to keep up with pace .

Happy to be outta there

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLooks good on a resume

ConsNo humanity. Cold. Too big.

Advice to Senior Management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many talented people, given many hurdles

Vice President (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsFor top performers, the money the money is good, and there are a good number of top performers and talented people. Opportunity to work on some game changing initiatives even at a junior level.

ConsBureaucracy is stifling. Solve something in an afternoon, and spend 3 years on a roadshow getting everyone and their mother to sign on an commit resources. Talent pool quality has dipped quite a bit over the last 3-5 years, and the culture of excellence has become one of "mediocrity then move one".

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's easy for a soldier to feel like a patriot during battle, but they need to feel that way when peeling potatoes at well. Need to emphasize across the firm that the day to day is just as important to the business as important big ticket events.

Good lessons in corporate politics

Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompetitive compensation package, great company reputation, excellent on resume.

ConsDisadvantaged working from west coast. NY and NJ offices get face time with senior management, get recognized, get promoted faster. Much easier to get hired in at a higher-than-deserved level than to get promoted from within. Mid management gets complacent, knowing they can't rise to next level, then they anchor themselves down as permanent roadblocks for their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the lies about making management a priority. If you truly believe that, then implement 360-degree reviews. There is too much crap at the Director level, and the only way to improve the culture is by forcing them to care about career development for their team members.

Been here about 10 years, and have seen the buddy system in effect the whole time

Sales (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsVery well respected industry name. Strong analytics. Large variety of products.

ConsVery little upward mobility. Very little work reward for a job well done. Buddy system is how the company works. If youre in, youre set, if not you will ride out your days in a cube.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting comp year after year while paying yourselves outrageous bonuses off the work of others. Nobody in middle management sells anything or manages any product. Our clients dont invest because of you, but managers get the big money... Why do you think all the talent is leaving?

Dissatisfied with company politics and no growth

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCannot think of any opportunities for growth, though the work-life balance is okay.

ConsThe company does not value its employees. There is subtle discrimination among employees. No transparency from the upper management. Promotions are all politically driven.

Finance was a once glamorous field to be in...

Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorking with smart people, collegiate environment, perfect for those right of college, challenging work, and looks good on your resume.

ConsLong hours, too much expectation for low pay, more of who you know-to get promoted. Churn and burn type of environment. The work load is too intense at times and still you're expected to do more. The inability for managers to see the value you've added, focusing too much on the impossible. No COLA, impossible pay increases unless you get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate those who work hard well and recognized that some people such as "middle management" are not needed.

Great Experience But Lots of Unhappy People

ProsGreat funds, large asset manager and great training. Compensation is ok for some positions. Risk management approach is solid. Nice offices and lots of opportunities to volunteer. Good place to start career.

ConsThere is no work life balance, everyone is working 2-3 jobs. Founders of BlackRock and other leaders are paid well, but management does not have a generous approach to the rank and file - attitude is that everyone can be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more generous to your employees, they are the heart of your organization.

My experience at BlackRock was great/

Investor Services Representative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLarge company with many opportunities, tend to promote within.

ConsInvestor services group has very little flexibility.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!