BlackRock

BlackRock Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance(in 41 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm(in 58 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class(in 44 reviews)

Great firm

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMarket leader with great prospects
    Always looking to do better
    Good salary and benefits

ConsStill moving through the transition from small to big firm
    Can be a lot of politics and testosterone style management

Advice to Senior ManagementFounders should continue to step back from micro managing the firm

challenging internship

Intern (Current Employee) Provo, UT

Prosgreat exposure to world markets

ConsI did not get good detail what to do

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some examples of what to expect

Summer analyst internship. Market Risk.

Risk and Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlat company structure. Senior management very open.

ConsPeople seem to be stuck for too long in the same position.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work/life balance but culture is stale and paper pushing runs rampant

Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood name on resume
    Great work life balance (8-5 easily)
    Nice coworkers, smart people
    If your main concern is collecting a paycheck and coasting, you've hit the jackpot
    Decent pay to start (significant pay increases seem to be rare/impossible once you're there
    Definitely not a terrible place to work

ConsDepends greatly on your division but there is a lot of dissatisfaction at the company now (and has been for years). Not meritocratic - at least at the VP/Associate level. I see teams that are overstaffed with people who seem to spend most of their time on busy work or twiddling their thumbs in an effort to look like they're adding value. My biggest personal complaint at the Associate level is that I haven't had opportunities to challenge myself or expand my professional skills in a meaningful way. Career growth is definitely possible but it's all about networking. Clearly, networking should be a portion of a good career growth strategy, but it shouldn't be the only thing (in my opinion). If you're looking for an opportunity to develop professional skills and feel like you're making a real contribution (not just pushing paper), I'd be quite careful in accepting a job in the SF office. The company claims loudly to encourage internal promotion but it's simply not the case. Open positions are overwhelmingly filled by overqualified candidates, often from the outside. The result is a workplace where employees in many divisions aren't provided with any real career opportunity besides using the BLK name to find a better gig.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage internal promotion (for real). Get to know something about what's going on beneath you. You should know what your direct reports (and their teams) are actually doing on a day-to-day basis. Many don't.

BLK

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proslooking to grow and improve. client focused. trying to do things better internally

Constop heavy. constantly trying to catch up with itself after aggressive inorganic growth.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

BlackRock

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Good work life balance
    -Strong investment in the growth of their employees

Cons-Too big to the point it takes a long time to make a decision

The best experience possible

ProsREally great group of guys in the FI department. Really treats you well and compenstation is good. Best start to a career

ConsLong hours, but that is to come with the terrority of any job. Maybe some more upward mobility, but everyone can't be a boss right?

Top companies in finance industry,

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStable, good learning track compared with another IT roles in other investment banks

Consless compensation compared with firm profit and other banks.

Mostly Positive

Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are smart, generally friendly, and being at a big firm does offer a lot of resources and possibilities

ConsCan be very beauracratic and it can get political at times managing your career. Big firms can be slow moving. Not as agile as small companies, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorgs seem to happen every other month. So many conflicting priorities. Hard to innovate when you're daily duties are already barely manageable

Best of breed asset manager

ProsInvestment in technology, access to information, elite firm in asset management space, breadth of investment platform

ConsRelative compensation is lower to asset management functions elsewhere, opportunities to transfer internally have become few and far between

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!