BlackRock

BlackRock Reviews in New York, NY

Updated May 5, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance(in 41 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm(in 58 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class(in 44 reviews)

133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

sOver

Vise President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance. Good people to work with. Stable company.

ConsMoving up company ladder is predictable. Common problems of all big companies, but still better than banks.

Worst corporate experience in my 13+ years within finance

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOther than benefits, there really isn't anything positive I can say about this company.

ConsLack of any real core management. Extremely political organization. Senior Managers act like high school students who gossip all day and speak badly about their staff. They often praise the slackers and chastise the hard workers which makes absolutely no sense. If you do not small talk with them you are interpreted as not being a team player. They have a "clique" formed and it's very clear they have favorites. Nothing is EVER kept confidential. Once you bring an issue to your dept HR rep they in turn call your manager immediately and gossip about the situation rather than actually representing HUMAN RESOURCES. They buddy up with your managers and are chummy to one another so you employees are either left to deal with the situation themselves by “leaving” or you are told to “develop a backbone”.

I've heard things spoken about other employees within the dept that one should NEVER hear. But again, lack of confidentiality and real management. Since I've been here I've yet to meet someone that is truly happy or satisfied. Moral is extremely low as staff is overworked to the bones. I refuse for any job to make me feel like I should brown nose in order to get recognized. I'm a hard worker and a team player who efficiently works.

This organization is completely unprofessional. The brand holds more weight than needed. Technology is not up to par due to the constant growth but I’d deal with slow technology than idiotic managers who seem to have no real experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake "how to be an efficient manager" courses.
    Learn how to be a leader and lead by example.
    Pay attention to your model employees and stop praising the slackers.

Great people, uninteresting workload

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople were great, company culture was noticeably good, networking opportunities were abundant

ConsWorkload wasn't very interesting and there wasn't a great plan for interns throughout the summer

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BlackRock is a great, reliable company to work for.

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany pays well for your work. The culture allows growth and you are given the opportunity to work on thought-provoking work if you wish to do so.

ConsVery large company, so it is difficult to understand the business as a whole. You are at times hidden from the big picture

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude all departments in positions in company vision. Discuss the progress or updates with employees in regards to BlackRock and the industry

Too Little Responsibility

Client Businesses Summer Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGrowing company, good pay, lots of opportunities

ConsThe people are cold, the work is boring

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure every team is adding value

Brand opens doors

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBlackRock has increasingly become one of those names on your CV that impresses people. The firm is well resourced and is increasingly likely to offer international opportunities.

ConsThe firm remained very centralised despite massive expansion and didn't feel like initiative was being encouraged or rewarded. Making sure your back was covered became an increasingly common strategy among senior managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like adults. Move on managing directors unwilling to take on that responsibility. Adopt a 360 review system to find out whether you are getting the real story from your next tier of managers.

Summer internship

PAG Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people, great atmosphere, well-compensated

ConsVery hierarchal, everyone has their place

Advice to Senior Managementpromote based on abilities as well as time spent in previous role

Amazing culture, smart people

Portfolio Analytics Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCulture, people, smart, laid back

ConsToo big, siloed into job

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to move

OK, but not for the long term

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosmany smart, young, energetic, driven colleagues

Conspoor work/life balance, less than ideal working environment

Blackrock AKA Burnout

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- large firm with a good "street" reputation.
    - compensation is just above average
    - there are a few gem employees who are stellar. Seek out these staffers and align yourself.

Cons- be prepared to work yourself to death with very long hours (expect 10-14 hour days) and job volume that normally 2-3 employees would take on.

-expect to cancel your planned vacations. Pre Departure expect to work "extra" hours. Re-entry - same deal - you'll have to catch up on so much work. Relaxed? You won't be for long.

- if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm. It's very difficult to leave at end of day without being viewed as a slacker (even if it's been a 12 hr day for you), much less to leave the office for a dr appointment, child school event, looking for an apartment, running an errand at lunch - all impossible.

- during my time there I never met anyone who was "happy" or "satisfied". Moral is low as staff is so overworked. As a result of current job market - many remain longer than they want due to lack of alternative opportunities.

- transfers b/w departments (regardless of your role) was rarely successful or beneficial to both parties. Mostly used as an exit ramp for the employee.

- management levels are thick and multiple.

- re-creation of the wheel is a weekly process.

- the infrastructure of the firm has not grown with the firm in order to now support 5000+ employees

- many simple transactions take a long time due to multiple layers of mngt and lack of up to date infrastructure

- senior management does not treat their direct staff well. There is a trickle down effect as a result.

- HR dept is a nightmare to deal w/ re: new hires, benefit issues. Simply dysfunctional due to heavy turnover.

- don't expect praise. I once received a small gift (chocolates) from a senior manager who I had helped significantly w/ a project. The giving of this gift was seen by our department head. Within the hour the senior manager was chastised by the dept head office. "We don't do that here"... Senior manager was purposely embarrassed publicly and never provided praise again.

- there are some great, talented, bright employees who could really make a difference. Few succeed. Most are burnt out quickly looking for an exit.

- there are too many "deadwood" employees who are ineffective lumps that simply gave up at some point. Management & HR does little to off load these staffers.

- compensation was just above average. Bonus discussions went like this w/ managers "I have your comp number here but before we discuss that let's talk about what I need from you going forward" - insert project laundry list of huge tasks you'll now have to incorporate into your already overloaded plate.

- once you decided to leave the firm and resign you'll be publicly labeled a "non-performer" by management (regardless of your tenure or performance). Management and HR can't comprehend "could it be us?"

Advice to Senior Management- treat your staff better. This comes from senior managers, exec office and founders. Other staff follow your example.
    - don't ask your employees to do non work related things (especially when office workload is over the top)
    - ask your employees about their workload "is it manageable?" If not - fix it.
    - get rid of the deadwood. Those staffers are dragging you down and making good employees exit.
    - stop senior management from promoting (in office) their own charities (many w/ religious focus). It's not appropriate under any circumstances in the office to ask employees to donate to X religious fund.
    - totally revamp HR. The system isn't working.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!