BlackRock Reviews

784 reviews filtered by
3.4
BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • Management cares about work life balance and actively seeks ways to improve it (in 50 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • I can tell from the analysts I worked with that work-life balance was not great (in 71 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class (in 50 reviews)

Great Experience and People But No Country For Old Men....

Former Employee - Production, Implementation & Engineering Associate in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn A LOT starting on day one. You can go as far as you want and hard work is recognized. The greatest motivation is the outstanding and committed people around you who have ownership mentality. BlackRock is an enigma. Its a very large company with very few meetings, having only 6 in almost 3 years,very few formal processes but for some reason everyone knows what to do: understanding clients, shareholders and management demands. Nobody tells you what to do but they are very clear on what they expect. If you hate long boring meetings, loathe useless conversations and desire direct access to management, this is the place for you.

The secret to BlackRock is their people. They look beyond education and grades (which still are still important) to character, commitment and willingness to learn things outside the comfort zone. You will see liberal arts majors writing code and SQL while computer science majors do their CFA. Its a very good dynamic, connecting business and engineering. I told a director in my interview: "I don't know what you have in mind for me but whatever it is, for every dollar you invest (in me), you will get three back by the end of the year!". He replied, "I like confidence!". I was interviewing at GE to be a sourcing manager at the same time. I chose BlackRock, not really understanding the role, but rather on the energy.

I even met Charlie Hallac after my 2nd week. The company #3 knew who I was, calling out a few points on my CV during our impromptu conversation. BlackRock MD's and executives see everything from afar like Odin sees the world through his ravens. I received several emails from MDs and executives, thanking me when I stayed up late doing extra QC on days with large market movements.

The colleagues helpfulness depends on who you ask. If you persist, you can get help. I even learned to code by bothering and annoying my colleagues on a regular basis. If you smile and show a lot of energy, even the most grumpy give in, teaching you something. There is no formal training process. On day one, you are given a black notebook and a pen. Then its baptism by fire. Its very important to write everything down because they remember what they told you, getting very upset if they have to repeat themselves. People yell at you, a lot, but its ok. It is part of the learning process and gives you good war stories later. The first 6 months, you feel lost but then things start to click, so hang in there.

Hard work at BLK does not go unnoticed. The experience and long hours paid off with a position 2-3 levels higher in another company. As a director at the new job with hiring responsibility, the first thing I did was search out my former colleagues with the goal of replicating this culture.

Cons

I started this job at 39 years of age. Keeping up with aggressive young people with high IQ's, good breeding and raw ambition wears you out. The hours are very long, but this is necessary to learn the job. The job is also addictive. No one tells you to stay late, you sort of do this on your own, losing track of time because the work is actually interesting and you feel needed. This pays off. Having BlackRock on your CV can land you a very good job anywhere in the world. It takes a few years after you left to understand this. The biggest con is that the Delaware office is next to a graveyard. Its a depressing view, especially when your old.

Advice to Management

As the company grows and becomes more mainstream, you may lose this magic. Its very important to keep discipline and spend lots of time on hiring the right people while teaching the company history and culture. I didn't get along with half of my co-workers but I respected them for their sense of ownership, integrity and high level of intelligence.

2. Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent teams, great place for ambitious employees, good training and mentoring opportunities. Salary and perks are excellent . challenging projects. The hackathons provide a fantastic opportunity to give life to innovative ideas that may be low on your manager due to budget or time constraints.

Cons

work hours can be longer at times, but work-from-home options are available. Most managers are accommodating about family commitments especially if you show you get quality work done on time.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and continue listening to employees. Don't base promotions and pay hikes on years spent on a role but on work quality, especially at analyst/ associate levels.

3. Worthwhile Experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Wilmington, DE
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers; calm to very quick pace depending on the amount of projects on hand; office located in a very peaceful/beautiful area; gained a lot of knowledge; very accommodating with work/life balance.

Cons

I never came across any downsides/cons during my time here.

Advice to Management

Continue with the culture & values of the organization; I thoroughly enjoyed working here.

The working environment is a meritocracy where talented individuals can develop a successful career.

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

+ Talented employees who strive for excellence in everything they do.
    + Environment that rewards talented individuals.
    + Large organization with significant resources.
    + Ability to move laterally within the organization and advance over time.

Cons

- The company's global footprint makes it difficult to understand the entire organizational structure
    - Compensation is tied to how the overall firm does and not just an individual group
    - With a deep pool of senior leadership and ability to make lateral hires, it may be difficult to advance into a senior role

Advice to Management

Strive to create an entrepreneurial environment where employees can build career equity within their area of expertise.

6. Fast paced, large political firm

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology, smart people, broad resources and scale across the platform

Cons

Saturated, slack exists, budget constraints, political

7. Work life balance

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity of roles and opportunities to find internally

Cons

Bureaucracy stalls productivity in a lot of cases

8. good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

good work life balance decent hours good culture

Cons

low salary hight turn over

Enjoyable people make a job feel like a career.

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and open door policy.

Cons

None at the moment, still looking.

Advice to Management

Further Transparency with promotions and salary

10. Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at BlackRock (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and reasonable benefits

Cons

Inefficient organization and poor management at the group level

risk analyst

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

great company and smart colleagues

Cons

I worked tons of hours