BlackRock

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • Management cares about work life balance and actively seeks ways to improve it (in 48 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • I can tell from the analysts I worked with that work-life balance was not great (in 69 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

BlackRock... Don't look behind the curtain...

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sheer size of BlackRock makes them a HUGE force on Wall Street so clients almost have to do business with them. Compensation is usually pretty good.. with many people getting allocations of deferred BlackRock stock. The sheer vastness of products, clients & geographies make it a good place to work & learn.

Cons

The company is hierarchical which makes advancement difficult at times. The power is still concentrated in the hands of a few people. Senior managers are limited in decision making abilities & responsibility.

Delegate more responsibilities to more senior managers (MD's). Show a bit more appreciation to the lower level employees..

Summer Internship at Portfolio Analytics Group

Current Employee - Summer Internship in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Summer Internship in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are very nice. They tend to teach you a lot of things. And you get to learn a lot through speaker series etc

Cons

This group is kinda middle office, career path is a problem

Cash Reconciliation

Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good first job out of college

Cons

long hours, hard to move up

Best company I've worked for in the last 10 years!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Although I was a contract employee, I was treated no different and I appreciated that.

Cons

There were no cons or challenges whatsoever.

Depends on the team...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was proud to be part of the largest asset management firm in the world. It is relatively easy to move between groups, cities or relocate to other countries if you work hard and prove yourself worthy. Great to work with really talented people. The company matches donations and encourages volunteering.

Cons

Some groups are more equal than others - if you're a portfolio manager, you're treated like gold. If you work in IT, chances are there won't be a budget available for additional training and very limited opportunities for much-needed business travel. Having teams spread around the world in different timezones means that you're expected to attend meetings at weird hours, like 6am or 10pm.

I feel very privileged to work at BlackRock

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Wonderful benefits; exciting mobility potential; very attractive on a resume

Cons

Very competitive; tough to navigate

It's been very productive so far.

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The firm is involved in all sectors of the market so there is a excellent breadth of opportunities to be involved in.

Cons

The firm has grown in size and this becomes an issue. This makes it very hard to get noticed and it takes time to get anything kicked off the ground.

Provide more opportunities for personal growth.

Jury's Still Out

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time

Pros

1) Smart, friendly and talented employees. There are some incompetent people that need to be managed out, but that's been true at all firms where I've worked.
    2) Approachable senior management. I don't hold a position that will ever command any special treatment, but I don't find it difficult to get access to senior managers if/when I need it.
    3) Respect for diversity - at least in the San Francisco office. I can't speak for the other locations.
    4) Focus on community engagement. The San Francisco office is very civic-minded.
    5) Decent benefits. No, this isn't Salesforce or Google, but benefits aren't bad by any means.

Cons

1) Non-existent work-life balance. There are a handful of people who mysteriously manage to keep to an 8 hour schedule. For the rest of us, 12-hour days are more the norm. If you go out on vacation, expect a massive backlog upon your return.
    2) Average base salaries and unimpressive bonuses. Of course, this is all dependent on the function where you work. New hires all seem to be content with their comp packages, but over the course of 3-5 years you'll see minimal increases and may eventually find yourself below market.
    3) Dysfunctional promotion structure. If you're hired at the Analyst or Associate level there's still room for you to grow, although it will take longer than you might like. At the VP or Director level, further advancement will take years. The process is based upon the visibility of your business unit, political clout of your line manager, willingness of that line manager to advocate for you with higher-ups, and the perception of your role in NY HQ.
    4) Weak talent management/career development. Many managers have strong technical skills, but have no idea how to manage direct reports and help mentor them in their careers. Succession planning is also weak, which leads to external hiring over internal promotion.
    5) Continual pressure to achieve more with less. In the last couple of years the mantra has been "raising the bar", which is essentially code for assigning the maximum amount of work to as few people as possible.
    6) Highly political environment. Those who have been around a while can navigate the personalities, but if you're new to the firm you may be frustrated.

Reward the strong performers for their work - otherwise someone else will. When top talent is siphoned away, those of us who are left are the ones who suffer.

Top investment management company

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Well respected financial giant in the industry

Cons

Too many politics within and across groups. Too top heavy.

There are too many management directors in some groups, it is structurally inefficient and lack of career growth opportunities.

Smart people, big company, competitive atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pool of talented co-workers. Driven personnel. Competitive pay. Opportunity for internal mobility and upward mobility. Great name to have on a resume. Excellent for building network. Leading edge of investment research and practice. Lots of interest groups, opportunities to serve the community. Passionate people who enjoy learning new things. Possibility for reimbursement for higher education or certification. Very understanding of time needed to study for such.

Cons

Most people tend to focus on working so hard to get ahead they leave other people behind, including managers who ignore their employees and let them "sink or swim". Highly political atmosphere with lots of passive aggressive judging if you don't perfectly mind your Ps and Qs. Intense work environment that usually means no work life balance and the feeling you are constantly competing against coworkers you should consider team mates.

Work more directly with lower level employees to make sure they know 1) what is required of them 2) they have the resources to succeed. Encourage an atmosphere of collaboration mixed into the competition to foster more friendliness and cohesiveness in the workspace. Let go of traditional political regimes that hinder transparency of the human spirit and self-expression.