BlackRock Reviews

764 reviews filtered by
3.4
BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • Management cares about work life balance and actively seeks ways to improve it (in 50 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • I can tell from the analysts I worked with that work-life balance was not great (in 71 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class (in 50 reviews)

Great Experience and People But No Country For Old Men....

Former Employee - Production, Implementation & Engineering Associate in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You learn A LOT starting on day one. You can go as far as you want and hard work is recognized. The greatest motivation is the outstanding and committed people around you who have ownership mentality. BlackRock is an enigma. Its a very large company with very few meetings, having only 6 in almost 3 years,very few formal processes but for some reason everyone knows what to do: understanding clients, shareholders and management demands. Nobody tells you what to do but they are very clear on what they expect. If you hate long boring meetings, loathe useless conversations and desire direct access to management, this is the place for you.

The secret to BlackRock is their people. They look beyond education and grades (which still are still important) to character, commitment and willingness to learn things outside the comfort zone. You will see liberal arts majors writing code and SQL while computer science majors do their CFA. Its a very good dynamic, connecting business and engineering. I told a director in my interview: "I don't know what you have in mind for me but whatever it is, for every dollar you invest (in me), you will get three back by the end of the year!". He replied, "I like confidence!". I was interviewing at GE to be a sourcing manager at the same time. I chose BlackRock, not really understanding the role, but rather on the energy.

I even met Charlie Hallac after my 2nd week. The company #3 knew who I was, calling out a few points on my CV during our impromptu conversation. BlackRock MD's and executives see everything from afar like Odin sees the world through his ravens. I received several emails from MDs and executives, thanking me when I stayed up late doing extra QC on days with large market movements.

The colleagues helpfulness depends on who you ask. If you persist, you can get help. I even learned to code by bothering and annoying my colleagues on a regular basis. If you smile and show a lot of energy, even the most grumpy give in, teaching you something. There is no formal training process. On day one, you are given a black notebook and a pen. Then its baptism by fire. Its very important to write everything down because they remember what they told you, getting very upset if they have to repeat themselves. People yell at you, a lot, but its ok. It is part of the learning process and gives you good war stories later. The first 6 months, you feel lost but then things start to click, so hang in there.

Hard work at BLK does not go unnoticed. The experience and long hours paid off with a position 2-3 levels higher in another company. As a director at the new job with hiring responsibility, the first thing I did was search out my former colleagues with the goal of replicating this culture.

Cons

I started this job at 39 years of age. Keeping up with aggressive young people with high IQ's, good breeding and raw ambition wears you out. The hours are very long, but this is necessary to learn the job. The job is also addictive. No one tells you to stay late, you sort of do this on your own, losing track of time because the work is actually interesting and you feel needed. This pays off. Having BlackRock on your CV can land you a very good job anywhere in the world. It takes a few years after you left to understand this. The biggest con is that the Delaware office is next to a graveyard. Its a depressing view, especially when your old.

As the company grows and becomes more mainstream, you may lose this magic. Its very important to keep discipline and spend lots of time on hiring the right people while teaching the company history and culture. I didn't get along with half of my co-workers but I respected them for their sense of ownership, integrity and high level of intelligence.

2. risk analyst

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

great company and smart colleagues

Cons

I worked tons of hours

3. Decent place to work, good resume builder, great coworkers

Former Employee - Associate in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Associate in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a world-class company, well respected in the industry. All my coworkers were smart, dedicated, and easy to get along with.

Cons

Pay can be on the low side if you aren't front office. It used to be more entrepreneurial but as it grew through acquisitions things got much more bureaucratic. Promotion process is too formulaic and procedural. Work-life balance is very poor, everyone is expected to work long hours all the time. So it's a good fit if you don't have a family, or don't like being around them.

Step up the comp, perks, etc. BLK is viewed as the best of the best in the industry, make the employees feel like they are really valued.

5. Solid Company

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

The Company has a Great Reputation. There is a lot of teamwork.

Cons

The Company could improve its communication

6. Everyone in the office was supportive and willing to help you learn and excel in a task/project

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Environment, Team dynamic, free food

Cons

no cons for this job

7. A great company to work for!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at BlackRock as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great. The people love what they do and it allows them to play hard as well.

Cons

The office setting is too open and you can hear everyones personal conversations.

8. Nice Employees

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Collaborative environment with lots of intelligent folks

Cons

work/life balance is tough to manage

9. Great place to work

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Great people to work with, who help develop your skills in the future

Cons

Compensation could be better for the amount of work that is done.

10. Able to relocate, but was too expensive after department was established for the location that relocated to.

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and time off were ok after working for a while 10+ years.

Cons

Constant, every 1.5 to 2 years, senior management changes, so complete business unit's direction reversals and undoing of previous manager's accomplishments. Very large and political, no loyalty to employees.

11. It has been a positive experience, tempered mostly by ill-placed aspirations to be a technology company.

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Largest asset manager in the world means you operate at a massive scale. Things that wouldn't matter anywhere else actually add up to a worthwhile payoff here.

Cons

The company feels even bigger then it is. The culture is fairly stifling.

Let go a little bit. Create internal markets and let a very talented workforce find the best way to achieve their goals.