BlackRock

BlackRock Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm (in 58 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start a career

PAG Analyst (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsAbundant training, patient coworkers and a friendly work environment. Easy to move around the company after a year or two.

ConsSlow progression and salary gain on the lower levels

Advice to Senior ManagementAgressively promote within the company in the operational roles.

decent company

ProsWell respected financial company in the world. Though it would seem like odd management style, the senior leaders care about the company

Consnot a typical company with straight forward management reporting lines

Great Company. Great People.

Securities Lending Product Services Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSolid people and a solid culture.

ConsSome teams are stretched thin and limited training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

to big too fast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsComp was ok, culture was fear

ConsMgt was not willing to delegate

Advice to Senior Managementempower

Great firm!

ProsWork life balance, competitive pay, low risk company. The culture at BlackRock driver innovation.

ConsInternal politics can make it difficult to move forward.

Best in class

Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits includign medical, dental, and additional services outside the standard generally provided by employers. Amount of paid time off is generous and compensation is competitive.

ConsCompensation does not move with trends. Difficult to get competetive pay for those who have been here for a long time. Extremely competetive for new joiners.

8-5

Marketing (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosvery eight-to-five; most people work 8-5 and a few extra hours on occasion. the company is situated right at the heart of downtown with all the energy that the city brings. The environment is very professional, with casual fridays being quite trendy.

Consthere are no annual salary base increases. if you're not in the core business of the company. overall not too many cons.

Internal Audit intern

ProsAmazing 2 weeks in New York city at the beginning of the internship, international environment. Is a nice place to start your career .

ConsCompensation is low for the kind of job they require to you, work life balance is a very big con. Possibility of change department are not as high as they say at the beginning

Fantastic place to work

Analyst (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsLots of opportunities for growth and leadership within your team if you work hard. Solid benefits and compensation. Management cares about work life balance and actively seeks ways to improve it.

Cons401K only vests after 3 years with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFriendlier 401k vesting policy. Allow rolling over unused vacation days year over year (currently a use it or lose policy). Encourage telecommuting.

Strongest leadership team on Wall Street

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart people managing the firm -- many of which are founders of the firm
    Highly ethical organization
    Lots of room for career advancement if you work hard

ConsCan be long hours but fairly compensated for them

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!