BlackRock

BlackRock Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance(in 41 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm(in 58 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class(in 44 reviews)

top company to work for, highly satisfied

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- enormous prestige / CV
    - name on the street, sell-side coverage
    - work life balance
    - less pressure at the beginning of your career
    - no sell side manners, people very nice / open / helpful
    - also a lot depends on in which PMG team you end up and how they treat / train junior PMs, and whether they let you do only some middle office work or actually take risk (in my case was few months of grunt work, then risk taking with small limits and mentoring by senior PMs)

Cons- real money attitude mostly, sometimes with longer investment horizon (depending on the asset class), but basically if you want to do intraday trading BlackRock is not a place to go
    - pay is smaller compared to sell side, at least at the beginning, later on it is highly skewed to seniors / team CIOs who are performing the best

Best in class

Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits includign medical, dental, and additional services outside the standard generally provided by employers. Amount of paid time off is generous and compensation is competitive.

ConsCompensation does not move with trends. Difficult to get competetive pay for those who have been here for a long time. Extremely competetive for new joiners.

Nice to work with

Analyst3 (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGood salary, management, cab facility, work

ConsNone, nothing negative , nice culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to work

Analyst (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsLots of opportunities for growth and leadership within your team if you work hard. Solid benefits and compensation. Management cares about work life balance and actively seeks ways to improve it.

Cons401K only vests after 3 years with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFriendlier 401k vesting policy. Allow rolling over unused vacation days year over year (currently a use it or lose policy). Encourage telecommuting.

Exp

ProsGreat place to work and one of the finest experience.

ConsTo aggressive and need to keep up with pace .

Strongest leadership team on Wall Street

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart people managing the firm -- many of which are founders of the firm
    Highly ethical organization
    Lots of room for career advancement if you work hard

ConsCan be long hours but fairly compensated for them

A great company to work with

ProsA great company to work with

Consit is global company so sometime we require to spend time due to different of timezone

Great place to start my career

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI joined BlackRock right out of college and found it was an ideal place to start my career. The CEO and management team were highly respected which has profound affects on the culture from the top down. While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance.

ConsBlackRock shares many of the same issues that all businesses of its size face - some slow decision making or lack of oversight.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have appreciated more opportunities to network and meet others within the company. I also would have liked more mentorship outside of my direct boss and group.

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBlue Chip Name, Great work and people

Conswork-life balance, management can be hard

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Great learning environment for an intern at the leading asset management firm.

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe culture is supportive and hours are not excessively demanding. The management in my group was extremely knowledgable and experienced.

ConsFar commute for me, nothing to do in Princeton. No structured training program to teach fundamentals. There was not too much opportunity to interact with other groups in the firm.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!