BlackRock Reviews

Reset

1. Working at BlackRock

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, fantastic culture, great name on CV, exposure to all funds and assets, biggest asset manager in the world, work with very talented people

Cons

Below market rate base pay, hard to progress in large company

Blackrock

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, great work life balance, lots of internal opportunity

Cons

Culture can vary dept to dept. current is wonderful but prior was awful. Always important to get a solid feel for group you're going into and how the firm views that groups' contribution to the firm. It makes a difference come bonus time.

Great Experience and People But No Country For Old Men....

Former Employee - Production, Implementation & Engineering Associate in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn A LOT starting on day one. You can go as far as you want and hard work is recognized. The greatest motivation is the outstanding and committed people around you who have ownership mentality. BlackRock is an enigma. Its a very large company with very few meetings, having only 6 in almost 3 years,very few formal processes but for some reason everyone knows what to do: understanding clients, shareholders and management demands. Nobody tells you what to do but they are very clear on what they expect. If you hate long boring meetings, loathe useless conversations and desire direct access to management, this is the place for you. The secret to BlackRock is their people. They look beyond education and grades (which still are still important) to character, commitment and willingness to learn things outside the comfort zone. You will see liberal arts majors writing code and SQL while computer science majors do their CFA. Its a very good dynamic, connecting business and engineering. I told a director in my interview: "I don't know what you have in mind for me but whatever it is, for every dollar you invest (in me), you will get three back by the end of the year!". He replied, "I like confidence!". I was interviewing at GE to be a sourcing manager at the same time. I chose BlackRock, not really understanding the role, but rather on the energy. I even met Charlie Hallac after my 2nd week. The company #3 knew who I was, calling out a few points on my CV during our impromptu conversation. BlackRock MD's and executives see everything from afar like Odin sees the world through his ravens. I received several emails from MDs and executives, thanking me when I stayed up late doing extra QC on days with large market movements. The colleagues helpfulness depends on who you ask. If you persist, you can get help. I even learned to code by bothering and annoying my colleagues on a regular basis. If you smile and show a lot of energy, even the most grumpy give in, teaching you something. There is no formal training process. On day one, you are given a black notebook and a pen. Then its baptism by fire. Its very important to write everything down because they remember what they told you, getting very upset if they have to repeat themselves. People yell at you, a lot, but its ok. It is part of the learning process and gives you good war stories later. The first 6 months, you feel lost but then things start to click, so hang in there. Hard work at BLK does not go unnoticed. The experience and long hours paid off with a position 2-3 levels higher in another company. As a director at the new job with hiring responsibility, the first thing I did was search out my former colleagues with the goal of replicating this culture.

Cons

I started this job at 39 years of age. Keeping up with aggressive young people with high IQ's, good breeding and raw ambition wears you out. The hours are very long, but this is necessary to learn the job. The job is also addictive. No one tells you to stay late, you sort of do this on your own, losing track of time because the work is actually interesting and you feel needed. This pays off. Having BlackRock on your CV can land you a very good job anywhere in the world. It takes a few years after you left to understand this. The biggest con is that the Delaware office is next to a graveyard. Its a depressing view, especially when your old.

Advice to Management

As the company grows and becomes more mainstream, you may lose this magic. Its very important to keep discipline and spend lots of time on hiring the right people while teaching the company history and culture. I didn't get along with half of my co-workers but I respected them for their sense of ownership, integrity and high level of intelligence.

5. Portfolio Manager

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, Smart people. Many different types of investment styles and products in one company --> opportunities.

Cons

Company is quite big now and growing which means a lot more coordination effort is required to get things done.

Advice to Management

Excellent work in defining investing problems which drives investment professionals to create solutions.

6. Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Great pay, good learning experience

Cons

Firm moves like a machine, so it just wasn't for me. They pride themselves on innovation, but with their systems it was a slow process.

Advice to Management

Increase mobility so that employees remain agile.

Finally relieved

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Free coffee, flexible timings, good amount of time for vacation.

Cons

I took the courage of being good and worked many after hours with the aim of getting a good year end bonus. In the mid year, I realized that my juniors were making higher salary than myself. Tried negotiating and when realized that nothing can be done now, I took extreme step of resigning immediately.

Advice to Management

Thank you for hiring me, but I have delivered manifold times more than you have ever paid me. I just wish you best.

8. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Franklin Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Franklin Park, NJ

I worked at BlackRock (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team collaboration and diversified work environment. Lot's of talent!!!

Cons

More administrative jobs should be offered at Princeton!

9. contractor

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

easy work flexible hour nice people

Cons

doing same work everyday low paid

VP

I worked at BlackRock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work. Takes little effort to be a star. If you say the word synergy or cascade, you are the man!

Cons

Work resembles processes done in 1996. Cannot handle bleeding edge investments. Departments are silo. Focus on corporate jargon instead of rough and tumble finance. Missing the overall point. Projects take a long time to even execute. Conference Calls are hijacked for personal ego. Everything is internal lingo, not street wide terms.

11. Incoming Summer Analyst, PAG

Current Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

The people are brilliant, the culture is relaxed and welcoming, and they care about work-life balance, instituting excellent programming for interns. Baseball games, investment competitions, all that jazz.

Cons

The office isn't as nice as it could be, though it's still rather nice. The people more than make up for it. I'd much rather take something of a grey office, than a bunch of cocky guys running around. We don't have those!

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

RSS Feed </> Embed