BlackRock

Updated Jul 8, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for your resume, horrible for your personal life

Associate (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsVery well respected company within the industry with a fantastic breadth of resources available for choice projects.

ConsAdvancement is based purely on time spent at the company and has no connection to performance, skill sets or achievements within the company. If you are below Director level you will be treated with complete disdain as if you are an inferior human being to the Directors and above.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't live off of kids straight out of college who don't know that this is not what wit's like working elsewhere. Advancing people based only on their time with the company rewards those who keep their head down and avoid innovation while you push out those who would challenge the status quo and provide true, effective, long-term solutions that won't have to be fixed again down the road.

BlackRock Review

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits, especially for the financial industry.

ConsLong hours sometimes difficult to manage.

good for balance of work, life, and pay

Vice President (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosgood for balance of work, life, and pay

Consbad for personal and career risk

Advice to Senior Managementgood for balance of work, life, and pay

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

okay

San Francisco, CA

Prosgrowing firm with good business prospects. has been successful where others have failed.

Consbetter opportunity for beginers than advanced workers. Some systems are painful and overanalyze

Advice to Senior Managementcant cut costs year after year without some negative result.

OK. Overall quality of experience seems to depend on manager.

Associate (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefits including health coverage. Nice modern and new work space. Very bright and professional colleagues.

ConsSomewhat arbitrary bonus structure. Strategic direction was not always clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify strategic direction. Map bonuses to realistic annual personalized goals as well as overall performance.

Pretty good place to work, trying to be great

San Francisco, CA

ProsThere's been a lot of effort put towards building an iconic culture and make BlackRock a great place to work. Presuming it's sustained over the long-term, I think it will work. Feels like it's a genuine effort, and in a lot of ways the firm has great roots to build from. There's a lot of pride from legacy BGI and legacy BlackRock employees - in some cases that leads to conflicts, but also has the potential to lead to great things if the cultures can be reconciled to capture the best of both legacy cultures. In San Francisco, I feel that there's an overall positive vibe. BGI-ers felt a connection to the firm, and the passion showed as a result. I think some of that has gone away post-merger, but I think as people adjust to working for a much larger and different kind of firm, it will come back in a lot of (different) ways.

ConsThere are still some challenges post-merger. There's been a lot of focus on improving many things, but a few things seem to stand out as yet unresolved problems. One is technology and resourcing, which both continue to be constant struggles. Another (and often related) is that decision making is still centralized among very few people at the top. And as part of that, there's also a bit of a bravado culture at the top, and decisions can often be made based on someone escalating to someone higher up and gaining their alignment, rather than on the merits, which I think is unfortunate. To be fair, I think that some of the cost management is actually a function of good management control over costs (there's waste at BlackRock, just as there is in any firm). The problem is that there aren't great mechanisms to recognize which parts of the business run very lean and responsibly, versus those that don't, and that can cause frustration...and worse, gridlock at times. And to be honest, I think some of it is also a function of overly constraining the business in order to squeeze out margins.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing with regard to company culture, there are a lot of great things going on in that space right now. But also strengthen your commitment to the other elements of culture - decentralize decision-making and trust and hold business heads accountable for making the right decisions for their business. Resource the business to succeed in the long-term, even if it's at the expense of some short-term margins. And last but certainly not least, reward those employees who work hard and deliver results (quantitative and qualitative). Yes, everyone knows the market is volatile, but people will become increasingly demotivated by taking the full brunt of that repeated message, particularly when the firm is wildly profitable and there's such a disparity between earnings across people (across and within levels).

Not a bad place to start

Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLarge information architecture
    Largest investment manager in the world

ConsHighly lopsided structure -- not very analysts, but a lot of people VP/Director level that are looking to get promoted
    Structurally created to not create any "superstars" to encourage loyalty to BR

great people doing the work, arrogant bullies taking credit for it

San Francisco, CA

Prossalary, cameraderie, location, light-filled offices, diversity

Consinner circle mentality, more stick than carrot, non-experts making subjective decisions, hierarchy and politics over strategy and common sense

Advice to Senior Managementreconcile iShares/BlackRock tensions at senior levels, stop reorganizing by adding layers, rationalize salaries, talk to people like you aren't mad at them all of the time, don't let toxic leaders keep seats warm

Good on the resume, fair on everything else

BDO (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, decent product line up but that has changed with proliferation and high fees.

ConsSmart people under-utilized because of politics and nonsense. If you are a self-promoter and do not mind constantly telling everyone how good and busy you are, you will do just fine. If you work hard and are humble, forget it, no one will recognize it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should have promoted me years ago. My clients saw it, my peers saw, and I saw it. Now I work at a competitive firm and they see it. Something must be going wrong at BlackRock if they keep losing talented people.

BlackRock staunches innovation, prevents growth, gift wraps everything in red tape. Don't work here.

Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLooks good on resume (no idea why)

Cons- Horribly behind on IT
    - Very little innovation
    - Everything politically challenged/ego driven
    - Assembly line org charts (internally called laughing squid model where one person who manages one person who manages one person who manages one person who manages one person)
    - No transparency on compensation, promotions, ratings, business model, nothing.
    - Killed all the reasons why people joined BGI.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. All you do is get in the way of people that make contributions.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackRock reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BlackRock CEO Laurence D. Fink. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by BlackRock employees.