BlackRock Reviews

• San Francisco, CA Area
3.1
BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink

Not BGI, which was a wonderful company to work for.

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money, but not as lucrative as BGI. With the acquisition, came a brain drain, so the NY bankers weren't equipped to deal with the market changes.

Cons

Everything else, such as a lack of leadership, transparency, interest in the local office, and the brain drain.

Advice to Management

If you can't or won't be transparent, at least say that rather than completely lying to your employees. This was true all the way to the top, including Larry Fink. Guess the name should have warned us.

Best in class

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits includign medical, dental, and additional services outside the standard generally provided by employers. Amount of paid time off is generous and compensation is competitive.

Cons

Compensation does not move with trends. Difficult to get competetive pay for those who have been here for a long time. Extremely competetive for new joiners.

3. BlackRock was a formative journey during a challenging time in the world of finance; I look fondly upon my time there.

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaboration, innovation, risk aversion, responsibility to the client and to other stakeholders is ingrained in the culture, we do what we say and we say what we do.

Cons

Only the drawbacks of a large organization.

Advice to Management

The people at the lowest ranks in the organization who have their ears down to the ground can at times provide the best insight into customer and client needs.

5. The expectations were high, the work was challenging , though consuming, the pay was good.

Former Employee - Performance Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Performance Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

The people you work with are intelligent. The work is challenging. And there's plenty of opportunity for advancement. I learned a lot at that job.

Cons

It's a big company, so it's easy to get lost in the fold. And I didn't always feel supported in pursuing work/life balance. The environment is aggressive and the pace is fast.

Advice to Management

I had a positive experience with the management, overall. They were supportive. I felt like I was properly praised and compensated for my hard work.

6. Great company, strong leadership, smart people, good values!

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Professional environment, transparency of leadership, innovative

Cons

post-merger infrastructure a work in progress

Advice to Management

none

7. Recommended

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Strong company, very smart people, high quality leadership.

Cons

Lack of coordination across groups/divisions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Good place to work. Typical Corporate culture unless you work in Priv. Equity or Hedge Fund Space

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Massive exposure to positions world wide and once you are inside it can be a great place to make your home and obtain your "gold watch". In some cases you can really be appreciated with regard to compensation if you are able to specialize and seperate yourself from the pack.

Cons

If you don't like the corporate culture investment foundation of this firm then stick with individual "boutiques". Big bank atmosphere allows certain personalities to thrive. Overall, this is not a bad place to work. Benefits and salaries are more structured and limited due to the larger "I.B." culture (remember this is still BofA even though people pretend it is not!!)

Advice to Management

Look outside of the typical protege from an ivy school. Many of these recruits have high IQ's but lack high EQ's (emotional quotients) which can make the culture very much a Cool Aid drinking factory due to the lack of diversity in personality type.

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

-Top firm in the industry
    -Fiduciary culture, client oriented business
    -Lots of opportunity across the firm for advancement and change

If you are obsessed with investing and asset management, then this place is for you. If not, maybe not. A successful career is available to those who persist and work hard, but nothing is given that is not earned, and sometimes it takes years to get that.

Cons

The management clique respects only the management clique, but then, what do you expect? They won the game, they earned their title, their million dollar paydays and they intend to keep winning. It can be hard to find your way in a tightly controlled environment such as this one, but the virtue of the culture is such that talent and hard work is recognized for what it is over time.

Advice to Management

Look for those who are committing talent and hard work to the firm and reward them. Help those who are in the middle to improve. Help people to define their goals, ask about their personal goals, and help them sense that they are moving towards them. Make it easier to guide truly weak performers out without destroying morale and trust.

10. An incredible learning experience

Former Employee - Equity Research Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Equity Research Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

great place to learn a lot in a relatively short amount of time, lots of very experienced and qualified individuals

Cons

sometimes feels quite corporate, feels like you are taking time away from other employees when asking them questions

Advice to Management

create a more welcoming/relaxed atmosphere for inexperienced individuals

11. BlackRock is an industry leader with strong capabilities in many aspects of the asset management industry.

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The breadth of product means we can truly be consultative to clients and don't have to push one product

Cons

The sheer size and complexity of the firm is daunting. Rapid pace of change and ever increasing expectations leads to frequent re-organizations.

Advice to Management

Stabilize the pace of change and while you invest in training management skills, hold your leaders responsible for actually putting them into practice. There are many managers in the firm that should not be leading teams.