BlackRock

Updated Jul 8, 2014

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink

Laurence D. Fink

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company. Great People.

Securities Lending Product Services Specialist (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSolid people and a solid culture.

ConsSome teams are stretched thin and limited training.

Happy to be outta there

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLooks good on a resume

ConsNo humanity. Cold. Too big.

Advice to Senior Management.

8-5

Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosvery eight-to-five; most people work 8-5 and a few extra hours on occasion. the company is situated right at the heart of downtown with all the energy that the city brings. The environment is very professional, with casual fridays being quite trendy.

Consthere are no annual salary base increases. if you're not in the core business of the company. overall not too many cons.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best in class

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits includign medical, dental, and additional services outside the standard generally provided by employers. Amount of paid time off is generous and compensation is competitive.

ConsCompensation does not move with trends. Difficult to get competetive pay for those who have been here for a long time. Extremely competetive for new joiners.

Toxic culture... stay far, far away.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood compensation, convenient location. I'm sorry that nothing else positive comes to mind but I have to write a twenty word minimum.

ConsBlackRock is constantly hiring because no one with marketable skills stays longer than a year or two. The culture is completely toxic. BlackRock has grown through mergers much too fast without paying any attention to culture and positive assimilation of acquired populations, so the factional infighting and blame-shifting is the worst I have ever seen. This place is just one giant back-stabbing, mud-slinging, food fight all the time. Stay far, far away if you are a creative, innovative, results-oriented person who likes to get things done. Deeply ingrown old-timers here make careers out of being an obstacle to block change to protect their own jobs - and it works.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to make some painful decisions about finishing functional consolidation and eliminating dysfunctional legacy populations that are working against the organization's goals.

Dissatisfied with company politics and no growth

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCannot think of any opportunities for growth, though the work-life balance is okay.

ConsThe company does not value its employees. There is subtle discrimination among employees. No transparency from the upper management. Promotions are all politically driven.

Good lessons in corporate politics

San Francisco, CA

ProsCompetitive compensation package, great company reputation, excellent on resume.

ConsDisadvantaged working from west coast. NY and NJ offices get face time with senior management, get recognized, get promoted faster. Much easier to get hired in at a higher-than-deserved level than to get promoted from within. Mid management gets complacent, knowing they can't rise to next level, then they anchor themselves down as permanent roadblocks for their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the lies about making management a priority. If you truly believe that, then implement 360-degree reviews. There is too much crap at the Director level, and the only way to improve the culture is by forcing them to care about career development for their team members.

Toxic environment for women and minorities

Associate (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefits, smart people, innovative for a financial company

ConsNot a meritocracy. White males frequently promoted over higher achieving women and minorities- just look at senior leadership! Discrimination is rampant, and people spend more time gossiping than doing work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote smart people who work hard.

It was good while it lasted...

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsDedicated people, great compensation and good fiduciary values.

ConsCulture has eroded from collaborative to an 'every man for himself' approach. This has dampened innovation and risk taking to the point that I believe they will have trouble continuing to grow the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are wasting a lot of your talent. Stop focusing so much on the old boys club and recognize the diverse talent that exists throughout the firm. Dial down the emphasis on face time.

Decent place to work

San Francisco, CA

ProsWell managed ship for its size. Good brand value. A number of talented folks in the firm

ConsTop heavy organization with limited opportunities for career growth. Poor technology

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're not innovators. Let's be clear about that

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackRock reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BlackRock CEO Laurence D. Fink. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by BlackRock employees.