BlackRock Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 5, 2014
3.3

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want any type of work life balance rethink your idea to join this firm (in 58 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good work/life balance but culture is stale and paper pushing runs rampant

Former Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good name on resume
    Great work life balance (8-5 easily)
    Nice coworkers, smart people
    If your main concern is collecting a paycheck and coasting, you've hit the jackpot
    Decent pay to start (significant pay increases seem to be rare/impossible once you're there
    Definitely not a terrible place to work

Cons

Depends greatly on your division but there is a lot of dissatisfaction at the company now (and has been for years). Not meritocratic - at least at the VP/Associate level. I see teams that are overstaffed with people who seem to spend most of their time on busy work or twiddling their thumbs in an effort to look like they're adding value. My biggest personal complaint at the Associate level is that I haven't had opportunities to challenge myself or expand my professional skills in a meaningful way. Career growth is definitely possible but it's all about networking. Clearly, networking should be a portion of a good career growth strategy, but it shouldn't be the only thing (in my opinion). If you're looking for an opportunity to develop professional skills and feel like you're making a real contribution (not just pushing paper), I'd be quite careful in accepting a job in the SF office. The company claims loudly to encourage internal promotion but it's simply not the case. Open positions are overwhelmingly filled by overqualified candidates, often from the outside. The result is a workplace where employees in many divisions aren't provided with any real career opportunity besides using the BLK name to find a better gig.

Encourage internal promotion (for real). Get to know something about what's going on beneath you. You should know what your direct reports (and their teams) are actually doing on a day-to-day basis. Many don't.

Mostly Positive

Current Employee - Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are smart, generally friendly, and being at a big firm does offer a lot of resources and possibilities

Cons

Can be very beauracratic and it can get political at times managing your career. Big firms can be slow moving. Not as agile as small companies, etc.

Reorgs seem to happen every other month. So many conflicting priorities. Hard to innovate when you're daily duties are already barely manageable

disappointing

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great people, great potential, LBGT friendly

Cons

flawed execution and management, misaligned compensation

either don't hire smart people or use the skills you buy, but don't make smart people sit and watch you all figure it out

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great name, but limited upward mobility.

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Largest investment manager by asset in the world

Cons

Highly limited upward mobility
    Management keen to cut down cost

Challenging work environment with smart colleagues.

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very smart and hardworking colleagues. Fantastic information sharing culture and openness of senior management is great to see.

Cons

Aggressive culture. Also, New York HQ could mean a lot of travel to NY if you are in an office outside of the city and wish to get ahead/greater visibility in your career.

Big and diverse, which has both upsides and downsides

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pretty much every investment style exists somewhere in Blackrock, so lots of opportunity if you know what you want and know how to find it.

Cons

Company is so big now that management can be out of touch with the specifics of each group, so top-down decision making can feel somewhat incoherent at the ground level.

Empower more independence at the investment group level, if you want to be able to compete with external managers unconstrained by large bureaucracy.

top company, but increasingly bureaucratic...

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BlackRock is a well respected company, a true leader in the industry. Upper management appears to care about employees and takes feedback seriously. The company attracts fantastic talent.

Cons

It has become a more and more bureaucratic place to work at. There are very frequent structural reorganizations which can be exhausting.

Dynamic, always changing, highly political

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the right person, it's a great place to be. An ambitious, intellectually curious person who is not daunted by ambiguity can really thrive here. There are abundant opportunities but you need to keep your head up looking for them. There is no such thing as a standard functional role. Networking is absolutely key to getting things done.

Cons

You don't want to be in the wrong seat at the wrong time. Things change quickly, you can feel secure in your job one minute, be deemed redundant the next.

The firm would benefit from finding ways of advancing more women to higher levels in the organization.

BlackRock was a formative journey during a challenging time in the world of finance; I look fondly upon my time there.

Former Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaboration, innovation, risk aversion, responsibility to the client and to other stakeholders is ingrained in the culture, we do what we say and we say what we do.

Cons

Only the drawbacks of a large organization.

The people at the lowest ranks in the organization who have their ears down to the ground can at times provide the best insight into customer and client needs.

Bad Days at BlackRock

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Gorgeous offices, great (if confusing) technology

Cons

No privacy, everyone sits at long tables. People are unfriendly to newcomers. Their technology systems are staggerly complex, and it often takes more than a week to get a phone set up, have a simple distribution list created and gain access to their travel and expense system. They also tend to hire contract employees, some of whom have been there for years.

I would keep a close eye on your managers. The way people are treated is very unkind.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!