BlackRock Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated May 5, 2014
3.3

BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink

Pros
  • Career progression, good management & the company embraces work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• these are very smart people with tremendous resources spread across the globe (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • I can tell from the analysts I worked with that work-life balance was not great (in 68 reviews)

• Very long hours, if you are not an investor you're kind of second class (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture overall. Development experience could be better.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are generally very nice. The office has an amazing view of the greater Seattle area. Not much micromanaging.

Cons

The development experience is pretty terrible. Locked into a Windows stack. Admin privileges are very difficult to get and use as data is very confidential.

Finance was a once glamorous field to be in...

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with smart people, collegiate environment, perfect for those right of college, challenging work, and looks good on your resume.

Cons

Long hours, too much expectation for low pay, more of who you know-to get promoted. Churn and burn type of environment. The work load is too intense at times and still you're expected to do more. The inability for managers to see the value you've added, focusing too much on the impossible. No COLA, impossible pay increases unless you get promoted.

Compensate those who work hard well and recognized that some people such as "middle management" are not needed.

Little advancement opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic culture, smart coworkers, nice office space, accessible managers, decent wage compensation, good benefits package (great healthcare), support for professional certifications

Cons

Little career advancement, very little skills training offered other than "on the job", no mentorship program, extremely vague/arbitrary bonus structure even for high performers (no targets to hit or performance incentives- it all depends on the how the overall company does), low wage growth, promotion process is an annual event with strict limits on how often people can be promoted.

Work with people to develop a 3-5 year professional development plans, with targets they can strive and that are realistic within the company/division.

BlackRock is a great resume builder

Former Employee - Associate Fund Administration in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Fund Administration in Seattle, WA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a wide range of growth opportunity across BlackRock business units and geographic locations. The positive side to being with a large corporation is that there is always a part of the business that is doing well, therefore there is a sense of stability.

Cons

The hours expected for the amount of pay is significantly skewed. Management is not concerned with turnover or retaining quality talent and would rather keep salaries below market than do what it takes to retain the talent.

pay people what they are worth to sacrifice future turnover.

Pays decent, work a lot, not fun.

Current Employee - Client Reporting Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Reporting Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Nice office. Smart people. Respectable company.

Cons

A lot of hours. Fake people. Some middle managers are incompetent.

Great for out of school graduates.

Current Employee - .NET Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - .NET Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Best people to work with and good work life balance. Chance to learn financial terms.

Cons

Should use modern technologies in software development.

Stop telling me that I should "just be happy to have a job"!

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

I enjoy my job because of the people i work with. We all work hard, take price in our work and want the company to succeed.

Cons

Employees in departments that don't bring in clients/accounts are not appreciated. We haven't been receiving raises, and our bonuses have been going down. My dept is expected to do more with less personnel than 2 years ago, but we're being paid less. I'm tired of hearing that I should "just be happy to have a job". I suspect that the money the company is saving by cutting my co-workers is going to the fat cats at the top.

One BlackRock.............(its all about the journey, not the destination)

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Young, smart, enthusiastic and motivated employees.
    Large company, diverse financial product lines, International job opportunities.
    Management's desire to identify employee concerns with our corporate environment and help employees to create better, more productive environments.
    Good benefit plans and great office space

Cons

Lacking professional development and management training in Seattle office.
    Time zone difference with corporate.
    More work accross less employees in the past year, with salary freeze

Overall a happy experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

BlackRock is a global firm that offers more opportunities within the different offices/divisions of the firm. Benifit was good too.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a lot of time and effort to get things done. You have to follow the internal policies and procedures and go through multiple proposals and meetings.

People can only be pacified for so long. Opportunities are being wasted for talented folks.

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Pretty good benefits.
    Strong work ethic.
    Dedication to best practices (in theory, at least).
    Opportunities for varied work exist, but emphasis on "work" instead of "career development".
    Global presence offers opportunities to work in different locations, depending on department.
    Compensation overall was decent during credit crisis / recession.

Cons

Post-acquisitions (primarily Quellos, BGI), layers of management seem to increase exponentially (and continually). Some layers include legacy Merrill people that are sub-par and overly political (sorry, it's true). This does not mesh well with cultures full of people used to just getting things done.
    NY-centric culture has little understanding of typical West coast high-performance culture, and has made minimal effort to capitalize on the positive differences.
    Quellos acquisition went miserably, and 3+ years later certain, integration pieces are still moving at glacial speed. BlackRock attitude largely underestimated quality of people / processes at staff / ancillary levels at acquired companies and attempts to fit round pegs in square holes were finally abandoned, with actual integration being prolonged and inefficient.
    BlackRock likes to think it is still a company that operates nimbly, like in the old days, but probably 90% of people outside upper management would say this is not the case.
    Wages too heavily-emphasize local market, when local market has few comparable positions. Wide discrepancies exist in salaries for comparable jobs in other locations.
    Compensation calculations are not transparent. Many people have been working the jobs of 2-3 people for a few years now, and are still waiting for compensation to re-align, while we watch revenues continue to climb. Re-investment is ongoing, but not into current employees, until they shout loud enough.

Be proactive in investing in existing employees. Encourage a culture of mentorship. Average age at BlackRock is young, and people eventually figure out that more work does not necessarily equal career development. Treat HR and development resources as if they matter (which they do). Spend resources on enabling department managers and key staff to actually have face-time and get to know each other to facilitate information-sharing, instead of creating 2 more business groups to do this. Those people don't know what's going on, either. Give functional groups more autonomy. Replace multiple meetings with actionable steps. Be transparent with bonus calculations. When you are not, people just assume they are getting screwed, anyway.