Blackbaud

www.blackbaud.com

Blackbaud Reviews in Charleston, SC

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs(in 40 reviews)

• Good work/life balance and the ability to do meaningful work(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind(in 9 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies(in 9 reviews)

95 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company. Considerate of employees.

Accounts Receivable Representative (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsGreat atmosphere. Relaxed but professional. Worked in accounting department, and management was pretty down to earth. Team mentality encouraged.

ConsTemp position, so that might have been relevant, but a lot of the employees didn't seem to take their work too seriously. Pay was low, but again, temp position. I was headed to grad school, so I did not go on to a permanent position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work with taking care of your staff.

Great Company that keeps getting better

Director (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsGreat people, great mission. New leadership is making a difference. Good work/life balance and the ability to do meaningful work.

Consstill need more work on our product roadmap/vision but this is getting better. the people that are nay-sayers are bringing down the rest of us.

Advice to Senior Managementzero tolerance for the people who can't see the future and the positive changes.

The good is great, the bad is terrible

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsMany smart people working here. Some improvements in the last year. New CEO seems sharp.

ConsHighly political environment. Culture is interesting/odd. Very hard to get ahead; Leadership praises the squeaky wheel and never looks further.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the "yes men"; talk to the people who aren't saying much but who could give you the kind of information that will actually help make a difference.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but not great. If your down in that area its pretty good.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsGood work-life balance, not a lot pressure. Management is friendly and their are some fun people you get to work with. Decent benefits. Rewarding work getting to work with non-profits. If positioned right, you can get decent bonuses and stock grants to help offset lower salary.

ConsMostly widely used framework is ancient in terms of tech stack. After years of paying for it the newer products are (finally) moving off it to more current technology stack. Pay is a little low. HQ Location is great (Charleston is gorgeous), if in Austin I would be shopping the market since it's a popular tech city. If you can get to working on some of the newer projects, you will be better off but even first glance at those seem to be following a weak architecture pattern.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to move off the old stack as it will be hard to attract and/or retain serious developers who want to advance their career. Be mindful what tech leads you listen to...just because you've been at Blackbaud for 15 years as a developer doesn't always mean you know the best approach. Listen to some of the new blood as well as some folks are institutionalized.

The Blackbaud Experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsNice benefit package, good people to work with

ConsStuck in time: old tech stack, doesn't look like it's changing
    Too many meetings about nothing at the division level.

Work Hard, Play Hard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsBlackbaud is a great company to work for. They truly care about their employees and their clients.

ConsWhile immediate managers and supervisors are conscious of your personal time, it's very easy to get wrapped-up in your work and put in long hours. I wouldn't say it's expected, but be prepared to work hard.

good

Account Manager (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsFriendly and great work environment. The training was a little lacking but my colleagues were happy to help.

Constraining, and large open work space, could hear everyone's conversations

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was fair and available

Pros and Cons

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsGreat atmosphere (at least in my area) and I truly enjoy what I do. I look forward to going to work.

ConsMeager (relatively) salary; merit increase either minimal or non-existent regardless of "Exceeds Expectations" rating.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinancial rewards are important to your workforce. Continue to justify not rewarding or properly compensating your employees and you'll continue to lose the really good ones in droves. No, it's not a coincidence that so many stellar employees have opted out recently.

Decent experience, wouldnt recommend it for everyone

Intern (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsThe location is fantastic, the people are extremely nice. the corporate structure makes it difficult to succeed in amajor capacity.

Consnot much room for growth. benefits are decent, not great. Overall I would rate the management as below average. Difficult to fnd better IT job in SC

Learn the business, build relationships, work hard and move up.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

Pros-great people
    -market leader
    -location(Charleston SC)
    -career development
    -new CEO with some balls
    -new on boarding program for sales/marketing
    -publicly traded company(BLKB)
    -extremely competitive to get hired
    -arguably the best company to work for in charleston

Cons-lack of product development under past CEO, Marc Chardon
    -got caught up in the acquisitions game
    -flagship product runs well but looks old(current leadership is committed to addressing this)
    -middle mgmt, like others have said, it is a problem.
    -sales reps get paid, solutions engineers do most of the work though. They get paid less.
    -support analysts seem to complain about lack of pay and long hours.
    -consultants are highly utilized, which can tend to burn them out quickly.
    -the marketing team has too many people for the amount of work to be done. I think they can condense those slots. Not enough revenue generators to justify the number of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO has said all of the right things so far. Nice to see some fresh management. Speaking of which, there are too many managers in the middle. Also, too many ppl in marketing who don't produce enough revenue. Pump more money into product development and talented developers to help everyone in the companyt. Sales can then sell, support can support, services can implement and marketing can market the product more effectively. Have to get caught up with Product Development to compete with sales force and other market competitors. Let's be done with the acquisitions too, nobody wants to see anymore of that. If we need it, let's build it, like we used to.

Worked for Blackbaud? Contribute to the Community!