Blackbaud
www.blackbaud.com Charleston, SC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Blackbaud Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Michael Gianoni

Pros:
  • "The products delivered help great non-profits fulfill their missions of making the world a better place"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good work/life balance; enjoy working with customer base (nonprofit organizations)"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The salaries are not comparable to other software companies"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Middle management is terrified of new senior management and looks to protect only themselves"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent stepping stone, but don't drink the koolaid

Senior Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWilling to hire inexperienced people. Good environment for networking. Good place to build new skills if you're a self-motivated learner.

ConsLow pay. Long hours. Lack of respect for employees. They talk a good game, but their actions say something completely different. They squeeze employees for everything they can get and find reasons not to give raises. They also are pretty underhanded with their customer. Customer are nickle and dimes and lied to to make sales, which results in a lot of angry phone calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better or the brain drain will never end. Follow through on the talk, or you just end up with disenfranchised employees.

Some good, some bad.

Consulting Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnjoy working with companies that are in existence for the "greater good".

ConsGeneral lack of direction and strategy

Leadership?

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChecks don't bounce. Parking is okay.

ConsBenefits are limited. Executive Leadership management communications is corporate speak gobbledygook -- meaningless, frustrating, and at times downright insulting. There may be good individual leaders at Blackbaud. However, it does appear that as a group, a few things are true about the Executive Leadership Team. There is no emphasis on product quality, customer satisfaction, or employee satisfaction. The rule of the day is company politics. Many stupid corporate management decisions are in play every day. Hundreds of thousands of dollars are being wasted on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, get a clue.

Quickly going downhill

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people I worked with were great people.

ConsManagement will consistently ask the engineers for advice on how to proceed in a project, then disregard that advice and go their own way. In addition, changes are often pushed to production systems without testing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate test environments, spur and encourage innovation, and USE the advice of the engineers. They know more about these technologies than you.

Promising at first, but bureaucratic culture prevents long-term job satisfaction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Blackbaud full-time

ProsCasual attire permitted, occasional events to boost morale, good benefits, and a few miscellaneous perks including gaming in the cafeteria.

Cons- Management strings you along at below fair market salaries with empty promises of increase
- Base compensation is low across the board and commission driven bonus structure creates an incentive to trade quality service for quantity
- The business is not led by innovators, and retains unimaginative leaders through a system similar to university tenure. Managers are in their roles most often because they were with the company long than other candidates. I've seen highly intelligent and ambitious candidates passed over for jobs, when less motivated individuals get the promotion because they had been with the company for 5 years.
- The current CEO has done well to maximize shareholder value; however, the company is merely retrenching into a place of comfort rather than pushing for innovation and relevancy.
- Along the same lines, there is very little room for autonomy and innovation. Blackbaud still resembles the 90's tech company that achieved initial success... riding the coat-tail of their Razor's Edge product.
- Intelligent people leave all the time for higher paying more satisfying jobs.
- There are eager young minds knocking at the door for jobs, yet it's very difficult for them to find a position due to disproportionately high priority to higher from within. I'm baffled by this when I walk through rows of empty cubes on Friday mornings. Seriously, one-third to maybe half of the employees at headquarters come into the office on Fridays. This includes management too!

Advice to Senior Management- You will not survive unless you encourage innovation among your employees! Don't just say you value innovation. Be an example and actively encourage it.
- Don't string your employees along with empty promises or by adorning them with meaningless new titles. Pay them what they deserve.

Convio was a great place to work, Blackbaud is not Convio

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat mission, that hasn't changed, and interesting people as a result. There are some places with interesting technology. Products all over the place if you like that.

ConsBad pay lots of pressure, not a good combination. They don't seem to care about the employees enough.
Purchasing cuts have made the job frustrating and much of the technology is very old and technical debt isn't paid down.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a bit more on the employees you want to keep and buy the hardware needed to do the job.

Former employee. Honest opinion.

Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

ProsThere were ( and a few left) of some really nice people there. I had many coworkers that I really enjoyed working with that are now my friends.

ConsBully mentality masked as leadership. It was not uncommon for management to belittle you or call employees names that derogatory to control them and the team. I have seen first hand the common expectation to work 7 days a week. To put in 80 hours a week with no over time compensation. I would say I was highly disappointed when I saw the ugly under belly of this company when they claim to help non-profits and yet treated their employee's like they belonged in a puppy mill.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you should stay at Blackbaud(for years) because if you left to go to another company your former employee's will repay the favor (treatment) that you had bestowed upon us.

Good company, limited growth opportunities, low pay

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany offers good product and services to help nonprofits operate more efficiently.

ConsLow pay for the time and effort in making a sale. No upward mobility if not based in HQ - Charleston, SC. High performers promoted to management...bad practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the good 'ol boys club based in Indianapolis, IN.

Lots of potential

NOC Tech III (Former Employee)

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAssisting non-profit companies to achieve their goals.

ConsPrefer not to say. This employer has lots of potential. The Company stands for great things but certain departments have management in which leadership is weak.

Want a new manager every 2 months? Want feckless, clueless leadership? Join Blackbaud.

Manager (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you want constant change, it's great. Many of the people are wonderful, caring individuals, and you will make friends.

ConsLeadership instills a blame culture and will not accept that they have made terrible decisions - many good employees have left in frustration. Benefits are very mediocre and bonuses are decided on a whim, with constantly shifting targets. Some managers are incredibly mean-spirited - to the point of abusive language and intimidation - and excuse their behavior as "leadership."

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves.

Worked for Blackbaud? Contribute to the Community!

Blackbaud Videos

Blackbaud – Why Work for Us?

30 years of unparalleled expertise for nonprofits For the past 30 years, we have been developing software and services for nonprofits. It’s a great market to work in, and we are immensely proud that our expertise is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blackbaud reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blackbaud CEO Michael Gianoni. All 190 reviews posted anonymously by Blackbaud employees.