Blackbaud Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.3

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs (in 40 reviews)

• Good work/life balance and the ability to do meaningful work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind (in 9 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Layers and Layers of Disconnected Managers

Former Employee - Interaction Designer II  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer II in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth if you work hard, up to 15% quarterly bonus if the company hits it's numbers, peers/people are great there

Cons

slave driving utilization requirements, employees are numbers to anyone beyond level one management, out-dated software and high costs make for unhappy customers, cube farm

Learn about the trade your team delivers, get rid of utilization as a motivator and focus on customer feedback of individuals, stop coasting (everyone with a fair share of stock just doesn't try anymore).

Solid company, cares about people.

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Great client base, many great causes. Blackbaud's solutions help many organizations achieve their mission. There is a lot of effort made to keep key employees in effective roles that satisfy their career ambitions.

Cons

Not many cons, a lot of options for career paths. Acquisitions have diversified the culture and product roadmap. This has complicated some things for employees.

Keep investing in the products that are the future of the company.

Last to the Tech Party

Current Employee - Software Engineer I  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- stable

Good starting point with plenty of entry level and mid level positions.

Cons

- Old tech stack
    - not so great management

I like being able to pick the right tool for the job, but that can be challenging at times.
    There doesn't seem to be much investment in modernizing itself, and with a company this big acquiring more and more smaller companies: change takes years to reach us.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great while it lasted.

Former Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked with a lot of smart people with great ideas. I learned a lot about the business world that helped me in my current year. I also was given a lot of opportunities for promotions and career advancement.

Cons

Once the company became publicly traded the culture changed. Revenue numbers became more important than people. Also with the company acquisitions, employees from acquired companies were basically made to conform or leave.

Listen to your employees and return to caring about your employees and not just the bottom line.

All good things must come to an end

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to work reomotely/telecommute
    Generous PTO
    Decent medical benefits

Cons

This company is bloated with upper/middle management and the ranks of individual contributors are slowly shrinking, especially in the Austin office which is only at about 50% capacity. The people who are left are expected to pick up the slack and work extra hours since hiring quality candidates take so long. Annual performance reviews and increases are not merit based and paltry at best. Almost everyone good has walked out the door in the two years since they acquired Convio.

Take a hard look at the exit interviews for people who received "exceeds expectations" on their most recent performance review and ask yourselves "how could we have kept them?" A company is only as good as the talent it hires and retains.

Small Company Feel with Big Politics

I worked at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

The company does great things for the non-profit customers and it is a rewarding job knowing that you are helped make a world a better place. However, nonprofits have a small shoe-string budget and do not really can afford or spend money.

Cons

The company is very political and you must play the game in order to get recognition and promotions. Pay is less than attractive and mediocre bonus. The belief that hard work will win is a false belief. It is the staff member that brown-nose the most will move up in the chain while others watch. Rewards and recognitions are extremely unfair. If you don't make waves, you will be unnoticed. If you want your career to idle, this is the place to be. Technology is outdated at Blackbaud. Staffing at nonprofits are minimal with high turnovers.

Look at your seasonal veterans and ask yourself, why are they not promoted? Most that are marketable will leave.

Change in Corporate Structure Following Merger

Former Employee - Direct Marketing  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Direct Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are, on the whole, very good. We all had top of the line computers, two monitors, etc. Free coffee. I biked to work every day.

Cons

Over-reliance on telecommuting and remote management. Numerous co-workers whom I have met face to face only once, and others I've never met at all, and I deal with them on a daily basis. I worked in the office every day since I live nearby, but nobody else with my job title and client base did. Reported to manager based in a flyover state - whom I met once - who didn't know my product or my clients, so no opportunity for mentorship. Before that, I reported to a manager who worked from home on the west coast - but at least he knew my product/clients.

Very silo'ed positions, leading to very narrow/specific functions. Employees were expected to work a minimum of 40 hrs/wk, and the norm was 50 or more. I've spent more than a few Saturdays in the office. Barely any training, essentially learning from peers, and responsible for creating documentation for the next person. Where is managerial accountability?

Hard to feel confident in future of the company when the manager of my department openly acknowledges that the current product, direct quote, "is a piece of crap."

Good employees leaving in droves or being kicked out the door. It was better before we merged with Convio.

I got my best friend a job here, albeit in a different department from mine, and he loves it; part of a close-knit team, friendly manager, etc, so my list of cons isn't representative of the entire company... but wait until he realizes how underpaid he is.

Don't talk about setting employees up for success and then set them up to fail.

Great place to contribute & grow professionally while making the world a better place.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

At the end of the day, you're helping non-profits make the world a better place, every day.
    Endless professional growth opportunities and leadership recently implemented a simple career framework process that creates transparency around how employees are performing and what they need to do to grow into new roles, if that's what they want to do. Discussion about career goals between employees and managers is encouraged and built into the performance management process.
    Amazing training in Customer Support as well as completely revamped training for Pro Services and Sales new hires.
    Teamwork and innovation are recognized and rewarded.
    Total benefits package (salary, medical benefits, negotiated discounts at local businesses, onsite gym & showers, onsite cafe, option to earn additional vacation time for volunteering on your own time, tuition reimbursement, flexibility in hours as well as the option to work from home for many positions) is one of the best in Charleston.
    Beautiful place to work and some employees walk or run on Daniel Island during lunch or before or after work.

Cons

Still a bit "cube-farmy" in many parts of the building.

Continue investing in the people & some of the internal systems. Continue to increase transparency around product roadmaps internally and externally. There seems to be good momentum in these areas - keep it up!

Overall good place to work, great to be in Charleston!

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees are well treated overall, good work environment. New ideas encouraged. Strong internship program for college kids. Company genuinely cares about its employees. And having a company like Blackbaud in Charleston, SC is a bonus, wonderful gem of a little city!

Cons

Internal products are embarrassingly stuck in the past, limiting growth opportunities for developers.
    Company growth through acquisition, acquired companies not always well managed.

Push for modern product development, does Blackbaud really want to be making VB6 products forever?

Great company where you can use your skills to help nonprofits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong mission and smart, talented people to work with. Really great company culture where employees are valued. Great place to work!

Cons

Continue to build on the culture and communicate how our work supports our nonprofit clients. Keep identifying ways to improve on our corporate culture.

Worked for Blackbaud? Contribute to the Community!