Blackbaud

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
3.3

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs (in 49 reviews)

• The workload is always high, but management did their best to ensure the work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind (in 11 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Working Environment

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

The office culture here is great. I love the daily interaction with our non-profit clients. I really get the feeling that work that I am doing on a daily basis is making a difference. I work with an awesome team that is always looking to help each other out.

Cons

Right now I cannot think of any Cons of working at Blackbaud. They are aware of some of the items that have cropped up during the multiple acquisitions that have occured over the last 5 years and are making the necessary steps to rectify them slowly.

Continue with the process that you have put in place and keep it going until completion.

Awesome company

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

The managers at Blackbaud really care about their direct reports and work with them to help them succeed in their current role. They also want to help them succeed in the future and will discuss how individuals can move up and what steps they should be taking to meet their goals.

Cons

Having a manager who is located in another city can be an adjustment. It can also be an adjustment to working on a team that has several remote employees.

Old Boys club - not a company to grow in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people
    Short Commute
    Nice gym
    Hopeful the New CEO can turn things on its head and clear half of the heavy, useless Sr Mgmt structure

Cons

Don't worry about doing your work. Others will do it for you.
    Mgmt is a joke; they do not exist
    Salaries are abyssmal compared to other companies. Many times managers earn the same as their staff or sometimes less
    Company thinks they are cutting edge but in reality it takes 4 months to get a project approved only to be stopped 6 more times.
    Resourcing is an issue in this company
    There is no career path whatsoever. You join, you never evolve, they don't know what to do with you or their departments

Finance is Director heavy (26 currently) and most do not have any reporting to them
    IT is a joke. They have no voice, no vision and no idea how to respond to demand.
    Finance tries to play a strong role in the organization but they are over shadowed by the Business Units

Advice: Fire half of the VPs who have been there for a long time. They are useless.

Great experience, I really enjoyed working at Blackbaud. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming.

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

Cons

Pay wasn't as high as other places

Great Experience

Former Employee - Analyst in Daniel Island, SC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Daniel Island, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best place to work doesn't come hard for this company. The environment is simply amazing. Great culture, great benefits, compensation is comparable for the location, wonderful people, awesome cafeteria, excellent gym. One of the best places to work in South Carolina

Cons

Finding a career track was a little difficult. There were policy and procedures, theories and ideologies for providing optimal client services, but not one career track methodology to be found. It was almost like 'get in where you fit in" which I found to be an injustices considering the number of grads that were working there.

Develop employees to work there not to transition to another company. The investment does not stop after the first month of training.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated well. Fun environment. Good work-life balance.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Was good, but things have changed

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively laid back
    Ability to work from home
    Good clients

Cons

Unfortunately, there is very little opportunity to move up in the company. There has been a push over the past year to be nearly 100% billable each week. That is the only thing that seems to be important to the company anymore. We have been asked multiple times over the past 6 months to 'work extra' or roll PTO into next year to make sure that we get more billable hours in. Morale is at low across the board. Revenue has become much more important than the people.

I honestly do not think anything will change, but stop thinking that BB should be one of the BIG 6 consulting companies. That is not what we are.

The people are great; structure, training, sales approach have a long way to go.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Good, solid, well-intentioned people. They hire well. Great place to start your career when you're just out of school. The more senior folks are friendly and eager to share - there is a good sense of camaraderie. The staff genuinely care about the great work our customers do.

Cons

Sales compensation is below market. They don't seem to value experience as many senior sales members have left in the last year. Territories and quotas can be changed with no warning and limited explanation so it's very difficult to cultivate and develop relationships with customers. There is a new desire for a "consultative" relationship but the sales infrastructure, strategies, and messaging are overwhelmingly transaction focused. They are working on sales training, career paths, transforming into a "true Saas" company, but they have a long, long way to go.

Looking Good

Current Employee - N/A in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - N/A in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The next gen products are looking great, all we need to do now is consolidate our resources and focus on the top 10 products we have

Cons

Too many offerings, we need to figure out which product is going to do what

Simplify

Culture has changed with acquisitions

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company supports non profits which feels good to be a part of.
    Many good people here that are fun to work with.

Cons

With multiple acquisitions the culture has changed. Feeling like management wants the professional services team to be more like a Big 6 consulting firm than a product company with value add services. Part of the challenge is that the Blackbaud CRM product requires so much in services that services are a large portion of company revenue. That being the case....there is pressure to push margins up on services so they don't drag the company margins down. If you look at most software companies the services are a much smaller portion of revenue and product companies will take lower services margins to focus on product sales, partner enablement and customer success. But Blackbaud can't afford to do that with the product / services mix. This results in a push to make the professional services team feel a lot more like a large system integrator with higher margins and that was not the culture many signed up for in years past. Higher utilization targets, some would say unrealistic, are causing morale challenges.