Blackbaud

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.3

Michael Gianoni

Pros
  • Helping non-profits as a side effect of making money for senior execs (in 49 reviews)

• The workload is always high, but management did their best to ensure the work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management frequently sees their employees as machinery that affect/represent a number of some kind (in 11 reviews)

• The salaries are not comparable to other software companies (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience, I really enjoyed working at Blackbaud. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming.

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

Cons

Pay wasn't as high as other places

The people are great; structure, training, sales approach have a long way to go.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Good, solid, well-intentioned people. They hire well. Great place to start your career when you're just out of school. The more senior folks are friendly and eager to share - there is a good sense of camaraderie. The staff genuinely care about the great work our customers do.

Cons

Sales compensation is below market. They don't seem to value experience as many senior sales members have left in the last year. Territories and quotas can be changed with no warning and limited explanation so it's very difficult to cultivate and develop relationships with customers. There is a new desire for a "consultative" relationship but the sales infrastructure, strategies, and messaging are overwhelmingly transaction focused. They are working on sales training, career paths, transforming into a "true Saas" company, but they have a long, long way to go.

Was good, but things have changed

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively laid back
    Ability to work from home
    Good clients

Cons

Unfortunately, there is very little opportunity to move up in the company. There has been a push over the past year to be nearly 100% billable each week. That is the only thing that seems to be important to the company anymore. We have been asked multiple times over the past 6 months to 'work extra' or roll PTO into next year to make sure that we get more billable hours in. Morale is at low across the board. Revenue has become much more important than the people.

I honestly do not think anything will change, but stop thinking that BB should be one of the BIG 6 consulting companies. That is not what we are.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are treated well. Fun environment. Good work-life balance.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Analyst in Daniel Island, SC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Daniel Island, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to work doesn't come hard for this company. The environment is simply amazing. Great culture, great benefits, compensation is comparable for the location, wonderful people, awesome cafeteria, excellent gym. One of the best places to work in South Carolina

Cons

Finding a career track was a little difficult. There were policy and procedures, theories and ideologies for providing optimal client services, but not one career track methodology to be found. It was almost like 'get in where you fit in" which I found to be an injustices considering the number of grads that were working there.

Develop employees to work there not to transition to another company. The investment does not stop after the first month of training.

Cheating the not-for-profit sector?

Former Employee - Consultant/Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant/Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros to working for Blackbaud was the opportunity to learn their technology tools so I could become an independent RE and NetCommunity consultant.

Cons

Where do I start? A culture entirely focused around selling whatever you could - be it outdated products or professional services rooted in falsehoods - and as much of it as you could. Sell a client 50 licences when they only need 10 - fine. Sell a client 20 days services when they only need 5 - fine. The technology company equivalent of a rogue plumber or car mechanic - only this time robbing charities of thousands of pounds. Also, rampant sexism everywhere.

Start looking elsewhere for your next job, the writing is on the wall for Blackbaud Inc.

Looking Good

Current Employee - N/A in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - N/A in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The next gen products are looking great, all we need to do now is consolidate our resources and focus on the top 10 products we have

Cons

Too many offerings, we need to figure out which product is going to do what

Simplify

Hope the new CEO can make his mark

I worked at Blackbaud

Pros

Large company with decent salary for the region

Cons

They need to create a culture that is collaborative, empowering and one that truly leverages an individual's strengths. I've never heard the term "throw someone under the bus" as often as I did at Blackbaud - and they put it in action.

Focus on product - you have the knowledge within the company. Just make products you are really excited about - the sales and marketing will be more natural.

Depends on which department you work. Great benefits and opportunities if you know the right people.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, pitch ins, pay, and helping non profits

Cons

Favoritism and some bullying by some in management in the department I worked.

It wouldn't matter if I gave advice.

Culture has changed with acquisitions

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company supports non profits which feels good to be a part of.
    Many good people here that are fun to work with.

Cons

With multiple acquisitions the culture has changed. Feeling like management wants the professional services team to be more like a Big 6 consulting firm than a product company with value add services. Part of the challenge is that the Blackbaud CRM product requires so much in services that services are a large portion of company revenue. That being the case....there is pressure to push margins up on services so they don't drag the company margins down. If you look at most software companies the services are a much smaller portion of revenue and product companies will take lower services margins to focus on product sales, partner enablement and customer success. But Blackbaud can't afford to do that with the product / services mix. This results in a push to make the professional services team feel a lot more like a large system integrator with higher margins and that was not the culture many signed up for in years past. Higher utilization targets, some would say unrealistic, are causing morale challenges.